Why become a member? ×

Interesting weekend ahead....

nottswarwick

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='1341336' date='Aug 15 2011, 11:30 PM']I have obviously described it wrong. Growly is exactly the sound I get. The Abm pre shape is a scoop, but with a little judicious EQ it cuts and snarls and bites. I would leave the shape off but it sounds lifeless and sterile without it.'you would thing that you could simply use the EQ without the shape preset to achieve the same thing, but for some reason with the Abm you can't.[/quote]

+1000. This is where many people go wrong with these heads. I've ab-d an LMK with my AMB through a Compact in rehearsal pretty extensively and no matter what I did (or didn't do) with it the MB was lifeless compared to the ABM with pre-shape engaged and eq-d to suit. The ABMs can be very, very angry indeed; I can do a pretty good Lemmy with mine if I choose to. Or Flea with a 'Ray, if that's your bag. FWIW I hate tweeters, but the Midget sounds interesting...

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1341584' date='Aug 16 2011, 10:22 AM']The ABM wont be at all like the MB amps. It wont have the punch or the clarity.[/quote]

I beg to differ....it's just a different type. Punch and clarity mean different things to different people and can be achieved different ways. To me Chris Squire has both but isn't clean at all.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1341644' date='Aug 16 2011, 11:07 AM']The S12T isn't a largly different to a compact. It does go a smidge lower, and considerably louder! An obviously the tweeter opens up a whole lot of treble compared to the Compact. Its hard to describe te exact differences without being subjective, however you could say that the Super12 has a "tighter" more "punchy" mid range, not that the compacts mids arnt nice an articulate, it's hard to put my finger on but if you've been witness to the amazing Midget it's easyier to understand.[/quote]

I disagree, to my ear it S12T is significantly different from a Compact, it punches way harder, and gets way louder, it has significantly more zing (tweeter innit) and sounds like a far more complete package, to me. It will take plenty of eq perfectly happily and produce immense low end, in that regard it is similar to the Compact. But its the punch that it pushes out that is the real ace up its sleeve.

[quote name='51m0n' post='1341922' date='Aug 16 2011, 02:10 PM']I disagree, to my ear it S12T is significantly different from a Compact, it punches way harder, and gets way louder, it has significantly more zing (tweeter innit) and sounds like a far more complete package, to me. It will take plenty of eq perfectly happily and produce immense low end, in that regard it is similar to the Compact. But its the punch that it pushes out that is the real ace up its sleeve.[/quote]
Hahahah ace bring it on

[quote name='51m0n' post='1341922' date='Aug 16 2011, 02:10 PM']I disagree, to my ear it S12T is significantly different from a Compact, it punches way harder, and gets way louder, it has significantly more zing (tweeter innit) and sounds like a far more complete package, to me. It will take plenty of eq perfectly happily and produce immense low end, in that regard it is similar to the Compact. But its the punch that it pushes out that is the real ace up its sleeve.[/quote]

That sounds veeeery interesting. Can you turn the tweeter off? :)

Edited by 4000

[quote name='4000' post='1342125' date='Aug 16 2011, 05:09 PM']That sounds veeeery interesting. Can you turn the tweeter off? :)[/quote]

Yes, the tweeter control is hidden in the port, also Alex does a Super 12 without tweeter (cheaper) for those who don't want/need one.

Inspite of you thinking they are largly different you agreed on all my points lol. I'm trying to not use useless words such as "punch". The essence of the 12 is a tighter and more mid driven sound but in the large box format and huge port it goes considerably low than a lot of 4x10 and louder. Because it has this great forward projection aswell with a lot of lows I never really struggled to get what I wanted, only having to cut the lows during recording.
If I had to best describe the sound I am for I would say Tim C of Rage only not as mid scooped (fistful of steel-clear the lane sort of sound)

No doubt that everyone is different and we can't all be wanting the same sort of sound, however I do find it odd that some play and tweak so much, and in reality in a loud mix situation doesn't make that much difference. I have two settings I like on my head. Both similar sounding only one is more vintage, but played loud with the band I don't think there would be much in it to warrant all that effort.
Don't get me wrong I like smashed to biggest bass sound as much as anyone else, my favourite band is Mad Capsule Markets and that is one crunchy aggressive sound (check out O.U.T and CRACK on YouTube) but it has to be right for that band aswell. Just because you like mid scooping and vintage-ness doesn't mean itll suit the sound of band.

Another reason I prefer the "flat" sound is that it translates easyier through genres of music.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1342559' date='Aug 16 2011, 11:20 PM']No doubt that everyone is different and we can't all be wanting the same sort of sound, however I do find it odd that some play and tweak so much, and in reality in a loud mix situation doesn't make that much difference. I have two settings I like on my head. Both similar sounding only one is more vintage, but played loud with the band I don't think there would be much in it to warrant all that effort.
Don't get me wrong I like smashed to biggest bass sound as much as anyone else, my favourite band is Mad Capsule Markets and that is one crunchy aggressive sound (check out O.U.T and CRACK on YouTube) but it has to be right for that band aswell. Just because you like mid scooping and vintage-ness doesn't mean itll suit the sound of band.

Another reason I prefer the "flat" sound is that it translates easyier through genres of music.[/quote]

I find it odd that people can't see that everyone may get different results. :) I also find it can make a huge difference in a loud music situation. But then you're not me. Of course it has to sound right in the band though, but people may/will have different ideas about what sounds "right" in any given context.

As for the last part, I change my sound depending on what I consider is needed. That's what my eq (and technique of course) is for. :)