Why become a member? ×

heeeelllppppp

hi guys in know this subject how been done on here but i think this is adifferent slant
i recently bought a new ibanez sr300 the i have adjusted the action saddles only and is now perfect in standard tuning.the problem is when i tune down to c or b i get fret buzz n the first few and last few frets.obvuosly i dont want to adjust the saddles everytime i tune down or the truss rod
please help
thanks in advance
jamie

Being that the strings are looser, it's fairly obvious that the amplitude of the vibrating string will be greater, so I don't see anyway of avoiding buzz & rattle when tuning down.

If you want to play at those pitches you would need to use heavier strings which need greater tension even at those tunings and won't rattle.

If you are tuned to BEAD you'll need a 125 or 130 for the B and the others commensurate with that.

When I had this kind of need, I had 2 basses with me, one in BEAD & the other in EADG. That covered everything.

G.

[quote name='geoffbyrne' post='1336176' date='Aug 11 2011, 10:11 AM']Being that the strings are looser, it's fairly obvious that the amplitude of the vibrating string will be greater, so I don't see anyway of avoiding buzz & rattle when tuning down.

If you want to play at those pitches you would need to use heavier strings which need greater tension even at those tunings and won't rattle.

If you are tuned to BEAD you'll need a 125 or 130 for the B and the others commensurate with that.

When I had this kind of need, I had 2 basses with me, one in BEAD & the other in EADG. That covered everything.

G.[/quote]

This ^

Get a dedicated bass and string it accordingly :)

Do you need to transpose the whole bass down? You will find the neck stays straighter if you just tune down your E string and learn to play it with the other 3 in A, D & G. You could then fit a Hipshot Bass extender key so you won't even have to p#ss around with a tuner whenever you needed the lower notes.

[quote name='henry norton' post='1336460' date='Aug 11 2011, 02:20 PM']Do you need to transpose the whole bass down? You will find the neck stays straighter if you just tune down your E string and learn to play it with the other 3 in A, D & G. You could then fit a Hipshot Bass extender key so you won't even have to p#ss around with a tuner whenever you needed the lower notes.[/quote]
Good points, although I would find that to be a bit of a faff - IMO much easier to either have a dedicated bass for the metal project strung for BEAD (or whatever esoteric tuning is used), or use a fiver for both. Depends on the bass, but I would expect that any decent 4-banger could be restrung with heavier-gauge strings without too much hassle (have done it myself with my Squier PJ). Again this is IMO and IME, but I find it easier to keep the bass tuned in fourths so you don't lose the ability to use the same fingerings/shapes as you would previously be used to.

HTH,
Ian