Why become a member? ×

Doubly Happy Now!

OutToPlayJazz

Well, finally got down to Colchester to pick up my new KingBass last Thursday. Got a chance this evening to appraise the two trogether. You guys can do the visual appraisal yourselves, but as for playing, the new KingBass is utterly stunning - A huge, breathy hi-fi sound with enormous bite! In comparison, the S2 Classic (Series 2 to us long term Status players) is deeper and even growlier (is 'growlier' a word??) I was surprised to find such a difference, being as the two have the same hardware, wood choices & electronics. Perhaps it's down to the 32/34" scale lengths & the extra wood/extra laminated parts on the S2? Enjoy - I certainly am!

Oh, btw... Rob has KingBass Retroglide prototypes no.'s 1 & 4 (as played on tour by Mr.King) for sale at the moment...

Edited by OutToPlayJazz

Great looking basses. Must admit to having never played a Status ever - hopefully there will be some at the bash!

How is the 32" scale compared to the 34"? Soundwise do you think it makes a lot of difference?

Steve

Edited by birdy

It seems to make a massive difference. Perhaps it could be compared to the differeence between a Precision and a Jazz. The KingBass 32" is much brighter & breathier like a jazz, but the S2-Classic 34" is much fuller and more rounded in sound terms. Some of it could be the extra wood laminates in the S2 body, of course.

Thanks, Mart... I think GAS is cured now (but don't quote me on that one!) The new KingBass is the instrument I should have ordered originally in early 2006 (instead of the 5-string version Ian now has.) Now through massive investment & patience, I've ended up with the best of both worlds... A new S2 to replace my original 1988 Series II & the KingBass I always wanted... With the correct amount of strings this time!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='154770' date='Mar 10 2008, 06:28 PM']It seems to make a massive difference. Perhaps it could be compared to the differeence between a Precision and a Jazz. The KingBass 32" is much brighter & breathier like a jazz, but the S2-Classic 34" is much fuller and more rounded in sound terms. Some of it could be the extra wood laminates in the S2 body, of course.[/quote]

Thanks, Looking forward to seeing/hearing/playing some of these if I can make it to the bash!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='SpitfireXXII' post='163948' date='Mar 26 2008, 05:51 PM']So you couldn't resist getting that other Status.... Niiiiiice.

Of all the basses I've sold. I miss my status the most..... (Great, now I'm miserable!!!!) :)[/quote]

Yes, got the pair now & have just agreed to buy a beautiful 1990 Series II with a John East pre in it as well. Addicted to Statiis? Well, I have been playing them since 1990!

Rich.