Why become a member? ×

Advice needed: Hi-Fi grunt @ £700 budget

visog

Hi Bass Community,

Want to tap your collective wisdom. My GB bass (5-string) is nearly ready (http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=141577) and I want an amp/cab or combo to reflect the high-end zing and bass burp these basses can produce. Any recommendations for sound production? I'm tempted by the TC Electronics BH500 + 210 + 212 offers out there for ~£700. What do you think or can you guys recommend something better?

Constructive suggestions welcome... (but don't go insane with the budget right? I'm sure anything would sound good through a full SWR stack but I can't afford one and my wife would make me keep it the shed.)

visog
NP: Jamie Cullum interviewing Pat Metheny on R2

One of the very best amps out there is the Thunderfunk, IMV which takes up where old SWR left off. Not talking about the newer incarnations as they are the same in name only, IMO.

Was impressed with the TC750 with the little demo I had...but I am not sure it would be so good outside its own cabs...but it works very well with them, you might not need anything else anyway.

Unless you can piece togther Eden or SWR cheaply, you'll have to be more reaslistic with the budget, I'm afraid.
Different voice bias, IMO..but very capable.

Don't know about the TC range amp you mention, but they are on a roll atm, so this might be more of the same sort of thing..???

A lot more depends on what you need your amp/rig to do.

£700 is a lot for smallish rigs that a decent enough and still sound good. But 700 you'll struggle to get a top notch amp that'll do exactly what you want and more. Obviously this is if your buying new.

All you need really is a head that's very transparent and flat in response, and a cab with a decent tweeter.

Having had a TC Electronic amp, albeit the Classic 450, set without the Tubetone valve emulation, through a cab with a tweeter, the TC sound is very hi-fi. Has to be worth checking out one of those packages that are about at the moment - incredibly good set-up for the money.