Why become a member? ×

Pick ups for my bass...

As you all may know, I've just bought the limited edition Epiphone Thunderbird white and chrome model bass. Yeah, that's right, the one fitted with the guitar humbuckers. It's safe to say I completely hate this bass right now and am seriously considering taking it back. It feels amazing to play and looks so damn cool but the tone from it is abysmal. I didn't realise before I bought it that the pick ups are wound purely for mids and no treble and that they come from the low end Epiphone Les Paul guitars. If you have seen me on here, you'd know that I love my tone to be moderate bass, low mids and really high treble so I can get a clanky clicky Steve Harris-esque tone. From this, I can't. So, the obvious step is to replace the pick ups but TAAADAAA hardly any one does reasonably priced humbucker sized bass pick ups that produce a lot of highs and not much mids. So that left me thinking what the f**k can I do...

I've been searching around tonight and as I'm a huge Seymour Duncan fan, I've been looking through their stuff and I've been reading their "tone chart" ratings. As I'm looking for something that has a LOT of something like 8 on the treble, 5 on the bass and 3/4 on the mids, I've whittled it down to a couple of Seymour Duncan guitar humbuckers that fit this sort of range. I'll list their ratings as Treble/mids/bass with the output rating next to that.

Livewire classic II humbucker - 9/4/5 high
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/141"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/141[/url]

Jazz model humbucker - 9/3/5 moderate
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/56"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/56[/url]

Custom Five - 8/3/6 high
[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/25"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/comparetones/view/25[/url]

My main choice would be the "Livewire classic II" set as they've got the covers on them (which are available in chrome, white and black so I'd go for chrome to match the originals) but the only problem is, I'm worried that they would start to distort with bass strings going through them. Does any one know if guitar pick ups would distort if you put them on a bass or would it be just like putting normally bass pick ups on? Also, with my "active" basses, I like to use the Spector pre-amps in them so do you think it would work running the Seymour Duncan guitar pick-ups on a bass pre amp?

This has really annoyed me, I was so looking forward to getting my Thunderbird and now I instantly hate it. I don't want to use it live or in the studio as the tone sucks!

Help!

Maybe you could ask Wizard pickups to wind you a fairly low impedence humbucker with blade poles so you keep the balance on the strings. Probably any decent quality pickup will be better than a cheap Epiphone one but bear in mind no humbucker will give you sparkling highs, unless you go for a second hand EMG 89 (which might suit your tastes quite well as it goes as it's the right shape, active, has blade pole pieces and can be switched from classic humbucker tone to single coil). You could always consider rewiring anyhumbucking pickup you get to parallel rather than series which will give you more highs too.

No pickups should distort just because of thicker, lower tuned strings. The output of even the hottest magnetic pickup is miniscule in comparison to what it would take to saturate its own coils.

Ah thanks for that Henry, that's a real help there. I would ask Wizard to make me some pickups but I've heard they're seriously expensive. The EMG 89 idea isn't a bad one at all. As said, I'd prefer to go for Seymour Duncan so I'll wait to hear from them about the Classic II Livewires to see if they're blade or poles. I've also seen SD do a Duncan Designed humbucker with 2 blade magnets across them so I'm going to keep an eye out for those as well as an EMG select.

End of the day, this is unfortunately going to have to be a trial and error thing. Honestly wish I hadn't bought this bass.

how about this guy?

[url="http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.html"]http://www.catswhiskerpickups.co.uk/index.html[/url]

pretty much every pickup he makes is to order and the prices seem reasonable, i'd guess that he'd be able to knock up a pair of pickups that would sound how you want and look right. if you look at the specials page and the bass page it seems that he wouldn't have any trouble making you some great pickups.

i should add that i haven't actually tried these myself but i've heard great things about them and am sorely tempted to have him make me some fat jazz pickups for a future project.

Matt

Neephid: I am seriously considering taking it back to london and getting my money back but there's no point in doing that. I do like the bass for how it looks and how it feels to play, plus it's quite rare in this country so if I have to spend out a little bit to make it sound how I want, I'll just have to do that.

Delberthot: If it was that easy I would of put the EMG 35HZ pick ups in my bass but the pick up routes are a lot smaller than the EMG as it's been routed for guitar sized humbuckers. I wish I could give your T-Bird a go, it looks like it would play amazingly with the flats. What is that bridge you've fitted to it as well?

iCastle: As said, the "steve harris-esque" tone, not exactly Steve's tone. It's just the way I describe it as it's that clicky type of bass tone. Very trebly, half bass and low mids.

Matt P: Thanks for that dude, I will get drop the guy an email in a bit to see what his rates are and if he thinks he'd be able to build a pick up to my spec. Again, thanks for that

i'd be surprised if he couldn't help and he quotes prices for most "std" pickups of around 50 quid (for a guitar humbucker), as they are pretty much all made to order (number of windings etc) that shouldn't be too far off, let me know what kind of price he quotes as i'm tempted to order some of these for my next build and it would be cool to have some custom pickups.

Matt

Yeah i'll let you know what the quote is once I get an email back. I've seen the Seymour Duncan's I want for £110 on the net (for the pair obviously and they have the chrome covers) so I'll see what the better deal will be. I'm going to be honest, I'll probably end up going for SD's because as I've previously said, I use Seymour Duncans in all of my basses and guitars and would like to keep it that way. But alas, I will definitely see what this guys pick ups are like

I've just had an email back from Seymour Duncan saying that the Classic II Live Wire's should be perfect for bass as they have blades instead of poles for the magnets and they should work absolutely fine with an active bass pre amp. This has basically sold it to me. As said, £110 for the matched pair of humbuckers set.
I've checked out a few wiring diagrams and I've found one for the pickups in the same configuration as the thunderbird's control layout (all apart from the 3 way switch on the diagram but I'm sure it'll work with out the switch)
If I end up getting the pre amp I want for it, it'll end up being 1 blend, 1 volume and 1 treble/bass stacked pot control set up.

No worries mate - I'm really pleased with mine, Allan is a lovely guy and we emailed back and forth a good few times with the options before we settled on everything. Went through the magnet/wire choices and he suggested the best construction for the sound I described. He got it pretty much bang on!

If you love the playability, and it also looks awesome, I would definately keep it! Pickups are often upgraded as I have done with my bass :) I have SD's in mine (bass pickups mind) and I fell in love straight away. If you don't end up going custom I would recommend sticking to the brand you know and love. Chances are you will be happy with your decision and fall in love with your bass even more than you shoul have done when you bought it! It will be more personal to you :) good luck!

Johnston: Sorry mate, I can't see you... Oh wait, there you are, that big thumb was hiding you :) Sorry, I couldn't resist that one. I'm not trying to be nasty either :) Why has she banned you from soldering? When I opened up the control cavity last night, I did have to have a think over how everything would fit in there as the cavity is so small. I think it's going to need a separate route done on it to hold a battery box as the cavity is just too small. Although, I've been told by the Seymour Duncan guys that the Livewire Classic II's have a pre amp built in to the pick ups so they only need a 9v or 18v power source (might as well run a bloody plug off the bass!)
The pre amp i'd be putting in would be the Michalik BP4 (which is what Spector call the "Tonepump") as I have one in my Tobias and love the tone it's producing. Plus it only needs a single battery and it's a tiny unit so hopefully that would fit in the small control cavity.

Chrismuzz: Yeah I know what you mean about it being all personal to yourself and what not, it's just annoying when you buy a bass and it sounds like it's being played underwater. Actually, that's the perfect way to describe the tone from it. It sounds like you're being spoken to under water. Just a muffled mess! haha. Hopefully it will turn out how I like it any way. I'm pretty sure i'll get a nice tone from those SD pick ups. If not, I'll just have to sell them and get a new set

The body is too skinny to fit a preamp in there. In fact, the 3 pots and jack barely fit in there so the only way would be to use pickups with a preamp built into the pickup and route a separate battery compartment.

What size is the pickup route with the pickups removed? I thought they would've just used the same bodies as the standard one with the same routes. I thought that was what the pickup ring was for - to hide the gap round the sides of the smaller pickup.

And its a Hipshot Supertone bridge. Makes a huge difference to the balance and sound of the bass and it was already on the bass when I bought it last year. They are pretty hefty in price - around the £70 mark

Apparently the Seymour Duncan Livewires have a pre amp built in to each pick up so that's always handy. Means I just need to be able to put a 9v battery in there (unless I go for the 18v mod) which shouldn't be too hard. I can attach a box to the back cover to sit the battery/ies in.

This bass is just going to be a trial and error project to see if I can get something I've never worked with before sounding how I want it to. Also, they're not routed the same across the board. A lot of them are completely different. Cheers for the bridge advise. I'll have to stick to mine for now. The bridge on mine is 3 point unlike what yours appears to be so it would be a wrong mod there too