Why become a member? ×

Why bass?

Mikeg

For me, just because after a year or so of guitar (beginner), I had the opportunity to try a bass for the first time of my life.
It was a... revelation ? Yep, something like that.
And then a friend told me about Uzeb and I heard Alain Caron... guess what happened in my mind ?
It was a storm, a revolution, a discovery !

Because I thought it was going to be easy to play! I got asked by some friends at school to join their band, one of them was getting a guitar, the other was getting drums. I play guitar as well but I've got much more of an affinity for bass, it's a much more powerful instrument.

Glad the question was asked.
For me it was a natural and purely instinctive decision. I was in a restaurant with a mate on a Sat pm and there was some really great 70's funk music playing in the background.

That was the moment I decided I was going to play bass. We left the restaurant and an hour later, I had bought my first bass.

I firmly believe there are plenty of traits that bassists share. I would class myself as being a bit introverted and a quiet sort of a lad.
I am perfectly willing to let my playing do the talking (if ya get my drift)

I deffo don't need to leap about the stage trying to get attention. I personally think it is the coolest instrument and when in the hands of a natural like JE, NW-R,G.Maby, its a pleasure to watch.
Got my fair share of post gig action too so must have been doing something right :) .

27-28 years ago I was watching a punk band play in a local club.

All of a sudden the bass player's amp died and I was absolutely gob-smacked at the way it affected the sound.
the entire band lost all "guts" and sounded very hollow and limp.

There and then i realised how important bass is and decided to go and buy one and learn how to play it.
I've never wanted to play anything else since.

Greg

When I think of all the songs I liked as a child, they all had big basslines. I remember being about 13ish and hearing Two Tribes by Frankie Goes To Hollywood. Massive bassline which grabbed you instantly whether you liked it or not ! After that, saw Level 42 on TOTP with a lovely pink JD bass and though "I gotta get me one of those". Strangely didn't get my first bass until I was 19 about 4 years later. So for me, subconciously I've always been a bass player.... just took a while to realise it.

If I can't make it to a practice, they cancel it - that sums it up really; you are the core of the band's sound.

I always tell the rest of them that I'm there to make them sound good, and that role seems to suit my personality.

The guitar is in the head, the drums in the backside, but the bass is in the balls! There's nothing better than hitting the E string and shaking the room!

I'm another one who picked it up because all my mates wanted to start bands and they (being shallow glory hogs) wanted to play guitar...

But I quickly grew to love the instrument too - especially when you're firing on all cylinders as part of the rhythm section.

20-something years later, most of them are still shallow glory hogs :), but now it involves houses and cars; and me, I'm still playing bass!

My mate plays bass in a small band, then I asked him the same question youve just asked, why bass? He just told me to go see him after school, and then he played a simple riff. It sounded epic, even though it was veryy basic.

I think it was the entire simplicity of the sound that got me, obviously you can make it much harder for yourself, but I like the elemental properties of the bass.

That and bass players are noteably well endowed, so I thought Id fit in well with you lot. :)

[quote name='OzzyGreg' post='1331642' date='Aug 8 2011, 05:48 AM'].
27-28 years ago I was watching a punk band play in a local club.

All of a sudden the bass player's amp died and I was absolutely gob-smacked at the way it affected the sound.
the entire band lost all "guts" and sounded very hollow and limp.

There and then i realised how important bass is and decided to go and buy one and learn how to play it.
I've never wanted to play anything else since.

Greg[/quote]

Great ! One of the best reason I've ever read ! :)