Why become a member? ×

7 string bass

jaybyname

Hi, i don't normally start threads but my curiousity has got the better of me. I currently play a 6 string ibanez bass and have bee intrigued for a while about these new 7 string basses on the market. The thing is, I dont want to spend a lot incase I cant get the hang of it. So....ive spotted a cheap one on flea bay for next to nothing and was wondering what I need to look out for when I buy one. Are the necks all shorter the the averag 34" etc. Ive attached a link to the model I like. Its cheap and cheerfull but it does look nice!! Any thoughts on this?

[url="http://www.maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=168&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2"]http://www.maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php...ry&Itemid=2[/url]

Hope you can help.

Jason

[quote name='jaybyname' post='1325258' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:48 AM']Hi, i don't normally start threads but my curiousity has got the better of me. I currently play a 6 string ibanez bass and have bee intrigued for a while about these new 7 string basses on the market. The thing is, I dont want to spend a lot incase I cant get the hang of it. So....ive spotted a cheap one on flea bay for next to nothing and was wondering what I need to look out for when I buy one. Are the necks all shorter the the averag 34" etc. Ive attached a link to the model I like. Its cheap and cheerfull but it does look nice!! Any thoughts on this?

[url="http://www.maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php?view=category&catid=168&option=com_joomgallery&Itemid=2"]http://www.maxetone.com/JGallery/index.php...ry&Itemid=2[/url]

Hope you can help.

Jason[/quote]

That does look quite nice and the guy looks like he knows what he's doing!

What kinda price is it, his work looks good :)

[quote name='charic' post='1325269' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:51 AM']That does look quite nice and the guy looks like he knows what he's doing!

What kinda price is it, his work looks good :)[/quote]

Well, thats just it. I think this looks stunning. Kind of an Ibanez shape and with decent headstock. My only concern is that its $398.00 which turns out to be £245.00. Hmmm. Plus I've heard bad press from other forums that the bass is not that good. And its from china!. On the plus side, although he's a china man, his communication through ebay has been great. Just a risk when I haven't even played it!! Still very tempted for a cheap 'have a go'

[quote name='jaybyname' post='1325289' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:01 AM']Well, thats just it. I think this looks stunning. Kind of an Ibanez shape and with decent headstock. My only concern is that its $398.00 which turns out to be £245.00. Hmmm. Plus I've heard bad press from other forums that the bass is not that good. And its from china!. On the plus side, although he's a china man, his communication through ebay has been great. Just a risk when I haven't even played it!! Still very tempted for a cheap 'have a go'[/quote]

What's the shipping on that? Don't forget customs charge and all that.

[quote name='charic' post='1325317' date='Aug 3 2011, 10:18 AM']What's the shipping on that? Don't forget customs charge and all that.[/quote]

'Free Shipping'
Its too good to be true....personally I think it'll be not as good as the pics (maybe photoshopped) but really tempting. Maybe I should give china a chance. Different culture, currency etc. It might just be that good.

[quote name='Shawman' post='1325469' date='Aug 3 2011, 11:54 AM']just out of curiosity, the bass in the OP, would that still be classed as a P-bass setup or some kind of hybrid?[/quote]

Maybe a hybrid. Looks like 2 humbuckers squeezed in. Im not expecting miracles with the sound. I imagine that close together and no active curcuitry would limit the sound altogether.

Hmmm looks nice, I'd like to play one if I ever saw one...Not sure that pick up config will work though...7-string P-bass?
Meat and potatoes punch is all fair and good, but I'm not sure it'll cater to the range of the 7-string too well...That being said, if it's any good could always add a bridge pick up later.

Could be wrong however, it could sound fantastic!

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1325285' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:58 AM']Not sure what the price is on one of them, but there are some interesting and affordable 7 stringers on eBay. Not sure if they're any good mind.

THis one looks really nice, but it is fretless:
[/quote]

Those are nice looks wise, Dread Bass owns one of neck through ones which I was after for a while! One of the Mods on here had that exact one! (well that model)

They are HKs and there was a thread on them not too far back

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1325285' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:58 AM']Or one of these from Vietnam:
[/quote]

And

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=510"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=510[/url] :)

I'm apprehensive but i really would like one of them!

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='derrenleepoole' post='1325285' date='Aug 3 2011, 09:58 AM']Or one of these from Vietnam:
[/quote]
His earlier models looked like this:

which was the 7-string version of

Now he's gone over to his new style, which is the seven string version of this:

I had to do a bit of fiddling with the nut and put in new pickups on my 7-string. It's got a lovely neck though. I must say, though, I do prefer the look of his older models.

[quote name='tauzero' post='1328296' date='Aug 5 2011, 09:30 AM']His earlier models looked like this:

which was the 7-string version of

Now he's gone over to his new style, which is the seven string version of this:

I had to do a bit of fiddling with the nut and put in new pickups on my 7-string. It's got a lovely neck though. I must say, though, I do prefer the look of his older models.[/quote]

Would you say they are decent?

Might get a seven string one if another with a great big inlay on the fretboard comes up! (I love inlays and what not like that!)

Edited by AttitudeCastle

[quote name='AttitudeCastle' post='1332591' date='Aug 8 2011, 07:21 PM']Would you say they are decent?

Might get a seven string one if another with a great big inlay on the fretboard comes up! (I love inlays and what not like that!)[/quote]
I find them very playable, and they sound fine to my cloth ears. Keep an eye on the auctions rather than the BINs, although he only seems to be punting 5s out in the auctions at the moment - they're going for about £50 + £95 postage (plus about another 25% for VAT and duty), so you could get one for £200.