Why become a member? ×

Advice on possible ebay purchase

bobogib

Hi,

As you can see i'm new here, I don't currently own a bass but am activly looking.

Came across this on ebay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bass-guitar-package-/180702926783?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1762693028531496189&_qi=RTM742988"]Bass Guitar[/url]

I've messaged him to ask what his reserve is but his reply was

"Whats you best offer?"

What I would like to know is,

Is it suitable for a complete newbie?
What is it all worth?

Thanks

Looks like a good starter set, those Yammy basses are fine after a setup, two amps could be the start of great things, pedal is a bonus. Would probably offer £100 for it, which is cheap, but I'm tight like that, probably won't go for much more at auction, but split it up and it would make a little more.

Hi there, the gear looks fine for a beginner but I can't help feeling the guy doesn't know what he's talking about (it seems a trivial point but the string that's missing from the bass is the D string and not the G, just stuff like that) and that the gear looks a bit 'scrappy' for my liking.

The bass guitar is a Yamaha RBX of some kind. I've played a few of these basses and they are perfectly functional, it would provide a good starting point for a beginner bass player. The amps are Laney, again very functional providing everything is working on them. Finally the Digitech effects pedal would give you some interesting effects to toy around with also.

My advice if you would have it is to either a.) ask to meet up with this gentleman if he is local and to make sure to the best of your ability that the gear works or b.) look elsewhere. This might look like the bargain of the century for £50-100 but I think you might be happier off looking elsewhere. There are a few starter packs for bass players available from the likes of Fender (Squier) that would suit you just fine as well. You'd pay more money but then at least you could have a fallback if anything did go wrong with your gear... it would just be a case of taking it back to your local music store. Also if you did elect to purchase new gear from a music store then you can be happy in knowing that you'll get some sound advice as a beginner player from the guys in the store. Maybe some of the Swindon guys on this forum might be able to point you in the right direction as to where to look for such a store.

So like I say... if the gear all works then it's worth a punt. Never be worried about asking questions, as a beginner you're entitled to probe a little deeper with people like this. Maybe the replies you get through you could post up here on this thread and I'm sure I and many other players will be able to verify information that you might be unsure about.

Let us know how it turns out! :)

Edited by risingson

[quote name='bobogib' post='1323683' date='Aug 1 2011, 11:14 PM']Hi,

As you can see i'm new here, I don't currently own a bass but am activly looking.

Came across this on ebay

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bass-guitar-package-/180702926783?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D4%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D1762693028531496189&_qi=RTM742988"]Bass Guitar[/url]

I've messaged him to ask what his reserve is but his reply was

"Whats you best offer?"

What I would like to know is,

Is it suitable for a complete newbie?
What is it all worth?

Thanks[/quote]

I'm sure he's had this on sale before so if you offer him £100 he might take it. It's a pity I didn't know because I've just sold a couple of basses either of which would have been ideal for you.

Hi,

Thanks for the input. I would love to be able to go look at it but due to work i'm currently around 3800miles away. (a beer to who ever can guess where I am, if we ever bump into each other)

Cheeky question would be could any of the Swindon BC'ers take a look at it for me? Big ask but If you could I will buy a 6 pack.

As for music shops, I tend to frequent Holmes music for all my 6 string stuff but know of a couple more in the town.

Thanks again so far.

[quote name='bobogib' post='1323722' date='Aug 1 2011, 11:57 PM']Hi,

Thanks for the input. I would love to be able to go look at it but due to work i'm currently around 3800miles away. (a beer to who ever can guess where I am, if we ever bump into each other)

Cheeky question would be could any of the Swindon BC'ers take a look at it for me? Big ask but If you could I will buy a 6 pack.

As for music shops, I tend to frequent Holmes music for all my 6 string stuff but know of a couple more in the town.

Thanks again so far.[/quote]

Well I'm off to Kos on holiday today so that rules me out.

[quote name='PURPOLARIS' post='1323706' date='Aug 1 2011, 11:40 PM']I'm sure he's had this on sale before so if you offer him £100 he might take it. It's a pity I didn't know because I've just sold a couple of basses either of which would have been ideal for you.[/quote]
Yeah, your right. The last auction ended at £100.01 with the reserve not met. I'm guessing the reserve is well above that or he would have offered it to the highest bidder. :)

[quote name='bobogib' post='1324584' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:39 PM']well he very politely said no. The search continues, have got my eye on a few others but am not in any rush to commit. Would rather bight right first time round.

Thanks for the help guys.[/quote]

Wonder what he has got in mind...

[quote name='Hobbayne' post='1324595' date='Aug 2 2011, 04:49 PM']On sale for £50 again! This fella don,t hang about![/quote]

Unfortunatley he has a reserve set on it and won't divulge what he has it set at. Another i'm looking at is

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-G10-Bass-Guitar-Behringer-Ultrabass-BX600-Amp-/180701858282?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a12ab89ea"]This One[/url]

But again I'm not sure as I know naff all about bass guitars or amps.

[quote name='bobogib' post='1324602' date='Aug 2 2011, 05:56 PM']Unfortunatley he has a reserve set on it and won't divulge what he has it set at. Another i'm looking at is

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ibanez-G10-Bass-Guitar-Behringer-Ultrabass-BX600-Amp-/180701858282?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a12ab89ea"]This One[/url]

But again I'm not sure as I know naff all about bass guitars or amps.[/quote]

The Ibanez is a good starter. I had a Behringer BX600 that I just sold for £20. £100 would be a good price IMHO.

Good luck :)

My advice?
Forget ebay, at least for the bass, buy your bass here.
There are loads of excellent bargains to be had and loads of people here have starter basses they hardly use any more.
You may pay a little more for it, but you`ll know what you are getting and it will have been cared for.
Also, folk here care about their rep so you have some comeback if by some bad luck you buy a lemon.
Stick a wanted ad up here and see what you get offered.
MM

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1324873' date='Aug 2 2011, 08:59 PM']My advice?
Forget ebay, at least for the bass, buy your bass here.
There are loads of excellent bargains to be had and loads of people here have starter basses they hardly use any more.
You may pay a little more for it, but you`ll know what you are getting and it will have been cared for.
Also, folk here care about their rep so you have some comeback if by some bad luck you buy a lemon.
Stick a wanted ad up here and see what you get offered.
MM[/quote]

Very good advice indeed.

[quote name='joe_bass' post='1325026' date='Aug 2 2011, 11:04 PM']Have you seen this mate? [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148883"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=148883[/url]

*I'm not connected to the seller btw*[/quote]

Yeah, Saw it when it got put on yesterday. Can't quite afford that much at the moment. If it's still there come payday....