Why become a member? ×

MXR Bass DI+ vs. Sansamp Bass Driver

TRBboy

Just wondered if anyone has any opinions about these two units? I'm leaning toward the MXR at the moment, just because it looks more logical (to me), and seems to do exactly what I want. I know the Sansamp is very popular, but have any of you had chance to compare the two and could enlighten me further?

Thanks.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1322498' date='Jul 31 2011, 09:02 PM']Just wondered if anyone has any opinions about these two units? I'm leaning toward the MXR at the moment, just because it looks more logical (to me), and seems to do exactly what I want. I know the Sansamp is very popular, but have any of you had chance to compare the two and could enlighten me further?

Thanks.[/quote]
personally, i preferred the mxr, but each to their own (and i'd guess that different basses would make a difference).

the sans-amp was good but a little too scooped for my liking. but i ended up getting rid of both and using the Hartke VXL as a tone-shaper and the darkglass b3k for drive and grit on top.

i'm sure others will have differing opinions depending on what style of music and instrument etc..

edit: come to think about it, i'm sure there's been threads on this very subject already, i'll have a squizz..

Edited by phil.i.stein

Never tried the MXR. The Sansamp is scooped, and the highs sound very brittle. You can get some fantastic huge warm tones, and nice driven tones too. But I combine it with other pedals to get my sound. They're worth trying out as they are very good bits of kit, and if you don't like them they're easy to pass on :)

Of the two I'd go for the MXR. That can sound a little scooped, but using the clean channel this 'color', as they call it, can be bypassed, leaving just 'Bass, Mid and Treble' EQ controls.
The distortion channel uses the scooped 'color' as part of the sound, and can't be removed.

The distortion isn't too spectacular, but useful for a little bit of grit to help cut through a busy mix.

They're both built like tanks, so that's not really a concern.

Thanks for the help guys. The thread above, and all the opinions I've read, suggest that they're both good and it's just down to personal preference. My gut feeling is that th MXR is going to suit my needs best.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1312153302' post='1322654']
Thanks for the help guys. The thread above, and all the opinions I've read, suggest that they're both good and it's just down to personal preference. My gut feeling is that th MXR is going to suit my needs best.
[/quote]

Hi TRBboy,

Did you get the MXR? I'm thinking of buying one etc.

[quote name='Caerphilee' timestamp='1319013245' post='1408777']

Hi TRBboy,

Did you get the MXR? I'm thinking of buying one etc.
[/quote]

Yeah I did go for the MXR in the end, and I'm very pleased with it.

To my ears the distortion is pretty aggressive and metally, and it takes a bit of fiddling if you want to try and tame it to get a more overdriven sound. The only other thing is it would be good to have separate eq for clean and dirty, but hey, I knew about that when I bought it!

Apart from these minor things, it really is a superb unit, and suits my needs pretty well. As I don't need to use it as a DI box very often I use it in my FX loop and use it bypassed most of the time and have the clean channel set as a clean boost. Great quality sound and pretty compact and simple. No complaints at the moment!

Yeah I wish there was either a separate eq for the distortion channel or if we could just turn the colour switch off. As it is, I have it as clean and then colour, don't use the distortion unless I'm using a different (or no) DI, then I just have the MXR set up a distortion pedal only.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1319215095' post='1411478']
Yeah I wish there was either a separate eq for the distortion channel or if we could just turn the colour switch off. As it is, I have it as clean and then colour, don't use the distortion unless I'm using a different (or no) DI, then I just have the MXR set up a distortion pedal only.
[/quote]

You can turn the colour off can't you?

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1319110749' post='1409975']

Yeah I did go for the MXR in the end, and I'm very pleased with it.

To my ears the distortion is pretty aggressive and metally, and it takes a bit of fiddling if you want to try and tame it to get a more overdriven sound. The only other thing is it would be good to have separate eq for clean and dirty, but hey, I knew about that when I bought it!

Apart from these minor things, it really is a superb unit, and suits my needs pretty well. As I don't need to use it as a DI box very often I use it in my FX loop and use it bypassed most of the time and have the clean channel set as a clean boost. Great quality sound and pretty compact and simple. No complaints at the moment!
[/quote]

Thanks TRB,

Where did you pick yours up from?

[quote name='Caerphilee' timestamp='1319462239' post='1414314']

Thanks TRB,

Where did you pick yours up from?[/quote]

I got mine from DV247 in the end, they were one of the cheapest and offered free delivery. I think it was £137(?).

Worth shopping around online to see what the best prices are at the moment.

I should have also mentioned before that this pedal has a REALLY sturdy, high quality feel to it!

Hope you enjoy it if you go for one! I'll have mine at the bass bash if you haven't bought by then and want to try it out.

EDIT: Just realised I bought a few other bits at the time; you have to spend over £150 to get free delivery!

Edited by TRBboy

[quote name='Caerphilee' timestamp='1319462239' post='1414314']Where did you pick yours up from?[/quote]

If you hang around the sale threads here, you can pick one up for around £80 second hand. Fairly common too so you shouldnt have to wait long.