Why become a member? ×

Bass Guitar Mag Janek Gwidzala

bigd1

[quote name='BigBeefChief' post='154669' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:14 PM']I'm gonna go home and practice that lesson tonight.

Super stardom beckons.[/quote]

Well, by practicing semi-quavers at 400 bpm you will actually distort the space-time continuum and time will appear to stand still to you and all your relatives (wasn't that what Einstein said ?)

[quote]Well, by practicing semi-quavers at 400 bpm you will actually distort the space-time continuum and time will appear to stand still to you and all your relatives (wasn't that what Einstein said ?)[/quote]

Paraphrasing.... but more or less....

Mark

How does anyone have time for that amount of practice?!? I suppose I have other priorities, but, if I was Janek's (for example only) girlfriend and he was practising 10 hours a day, I think it'd get to me. 10 hours bass, 8 hours sleep, 6 hours actual life? I suppose I spend 8 hours at work every day doing something I don't enjoy, so if I could do something I love for 10 hours a day and make a living..........

Still, I can't imagine sitting playing the bass for 10 hours. I never play for more than an hour really, unless it's with my band.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='154706' date='Mar 10 2008, 04:46 PM']I suppose I spend 8 hours at work every day doing something I don't enjoy, so if I could do something I love for 10 hours a day and make a living..........[/quote]

I think you've nailed it there. That's what a professional musician does (and probably makes less of a living out of than most of the rest of us do with our "day jobs").

hmmm an interesting thread.

On the subject of theory versus creativity: one of the guitarists in my band is technically fantastic. He knows all the theory, loads of weird scales/modes etc etc and practices at least four hours a day (even if that means getting up at 5 in the morning to get a couple of hours in before he starts work!) and can play super fast and super clean. Theres no doubt that he knows what hes doing....... BUT he overcooks things sometimes. We play pretty basic old school rock/metal and he'll often be soloing and throw in these weird and 'clever' scales but they'll sound wrong in the context of the song despite being technically correct. He doesn't understand when we tell him that it sounds wrong though because 'technically' what he's playing IS correct. Its one example where perhaps using his ears instead of his theory and listening to whats going on around him would work better. The other guitarist on the other hand comes from a more bluesy kinda background with much less technical know how and his solos are always much more creative.

Personally i do like alot of technical stuff but for me, there does have to be equal parts creativity. Many of these solo bass virtuoso albums etc do seem quite sterile in a way. As for practicing 10 hrs a day, I don't think i could go that far. I used to do 3 or 4 hrs practice when i had the time but these days its perhaps 1 or 2 at most.

peace

c

[quote]On the subject of theory versus creativity: one of the guitarists in my band is technically fantastic. He knows all the theory, loads of weird scales/modes etc etc and practices at least four hours a day (even if that means getting up at 5 in the morning to get a couple of hours in before he starts work!) and can play super fast and super clean. Theres no doubt that he knows what hes doing....... BUT he overcooks things sometimes. We play pretty basic old school rock/metal and he'll often be soloing and throw in these weird and 'clever' scales but they'll sound wrong in the context of the song despite being technically correct. He doesn't understand when we tell him that it sounds wrong though because 'technically' what he's playing IS correct. Its one example where perhaps using his ears instead of his theory and listening to whats going on around him would work better. The other guitarist on the other hand comes from a more bluesy kinda background with much less technical know how and his solos are always much more creative.

Personally i do like alot of technical stuff but for me, there does have to be equal parts creativity. Many of these solo bass virtuoso albums etc do seem quite sterile in a way. As for practicing 10 hrs a day, I don't think i could go that far. I used to do 3 or 4 hrs practice when i had the time but these days its perhaps 1 or 2 at most.[/quote]

You've pretty much said it, there needs to be a balance between technical ability and creative vision. When the two are married together well you get a musician that can fit into an uncountable number of styles with great ease. Without the technical ability there is an impairment to the execution of creative ideas; without creativity there is a severe lack of substance to what such a musician produces; and without a balanced combination of the two you get musicians who don't lack the above, but just do not listen and the ego and/or pride that comes with acknowledged talent starts to cloud things... at least in my experience, and I know I've fallen victim to that mentality many a time.

About practicing that many hours a day, I often don't make a conscious choice to do so. I've been known to start on something at x oclock and the next time I look at the clock it's x + n oclock (I think the most I've ever done was 6 like that). I then usually realise I need to stop before I burst my bladder or suffer from malnutrition.

Mark

[quote name='7string' post='154630' date='Mar 10 2008, 03:33 PM']How many people would find the "Modern bass improvisation" article useful to them and how many would just put it to one side ??[/quote]

Personally, I bought the last two issues of the magazine to read Janek's column over anything else. I find the column inspiring and when I apply the exercises am sure I will find them very useful.

[quote]Just out of interest, how many people here have taken the time to visit Janek's forum on talkbass.com to read about his own history and background and thoughts on music?[/quote]

I checked it out when he first got his own forum, found a lot of his thoughts very insightful, I agree with almost everything he's said that can be agreed with (beyond personal revelations and the like). Learn from other people's insights and others mistakes, great (and cheap!) way to learn.

[quote]I found them here...

[url="http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_li...m?composer_id=7"]http://www.sheetmusicarchive.net/single_li...m?composer_id=7[/url]

I'll give them a shot and see what happens...[/quote]

dlloyd, if you like I can forward on a bit of spiel on how I found those exercises worked best that I emailed to those who asked me for a copy of those exercises. Just drop me a PM or message here if you'd like it.

Mark

[quote name='funkmunky' post='154925' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:46 PM']Just out of interest, how many people here have taken the time to visit Janek's forum on talkbass.com to read about his own history and background and thoughts on music?

Just a thought.[/quote]

I've just read a few of the threads. Quite funny. It's like one great "Who can suck up to the pro the most" competition over there!

Thank God we're all mature enough to question and debate things in an open forum over here, without attempting to perform a lewd act on the pros.

[quote]I've just read a few of the threads. Quite funny. It's like one great "Who can suck up to the pro the most" competition over there!

Thank God we're all mature enough to question and debate things in an open forum over here, without attempting to perform a lewd act on the pros.[/quote]

Whilst I wouldn't go [i]quite[/i] that far, or even in that general region (no jokes please!) I have to admit I was more than a little unimpressed at how quickly the forumites who responded there started slagging off this forum for something that, yes, may have been offensive and got slightly out of hand at moments, but was still to some extent being discussed. I mentioned this to someone in a conversation the other day, TB never felt like a place I felt welcome to post. It always felt like people were there to say 'well IIII think this...', and never really got a community spirit going.

I have to say, I feel like BC is a wonderful community and I really did want to post that here after the slagging over there. I know BC is virtual and it's no substitute for the real world, but gosh darn it, you guys make me feel welcome. It always feels like people here genuinely want to hear your opinion, share theirs, and discuss it as friends would.

Props to you all!

Mark

Perhaps.

If I'm honest, I think that we (collectively) handled this whole situation rather poorly. I don't believe Bigd1 was out of line posting what he did, in fact I think it's good to hear such opinions. However I don't believe that we (collectively) posted with care or consideration. A number of posts carried an air/tone if you will, similar to the tone you would take if you were speaking about someone behind their back i.e. without care or thought towards how it was worded or how it could be said objectively and constructively. It wasn't [i]really[/i] a thread devoted to constructive criticism or reasoned debate. It was as if we never expected Janek to read this, which really isn't cool on a number of levels.

I'm not saying we shouldn't share our opinions about articles or the like, or even voice our personal feelings on such matters, but I don't believe there was the respect due to even a normal poster of the board, even neglecting the fact he is someone of great experience and ability.

And may I be the first to suggest that we now leave this be? By all means continue the conversation, I'm greatly enjoying it, but lets not look in the direction of where this thread has come from.

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='154967' date='Mar 10 2008, 10:59 PM']Perhaps.

If I'm honest, I think that we (collectively) handled this whole situation rather poorly. I don't believe Bigd1 was out of line posting what he did, in fact I think it's good to hear such opinions. However I don't believe that we (collectively) posted with care or consideration. A number of posts carried an air/tone if you will, similar to the tone you would take if you were speaking about someone behind their back i.e. without care or thought towards how it was worded or how it could be said objectively and constructively. It wasn't [i]really[/i] a thread devoted to constructive criticism or reasoned debate. It was as if we never expected Janek to read this, which really isn't cool on a number of levels.

I'm not saying we shouldn't share our opinions about articles or the like, or even voice our personal feelings on such matters, but I don't believe there was the respect due to even a normal poster of the board, even neglecting the fact he is someone of great experience and ability.

And may I be the first to suggest that we now leave this be? By all means continue the conversation, I'm greatly enjoying it, but lets not look in the direction of where this thread has come from.

Mark[/quote]

Good call. I can't say I agree with you 100%, but good call nonetheless.