Why become a member? ×

Newbie pitchshifter bass

Mikey-t1994

It is the custom for sure, did a bit more research last night, still can't figure out the 4th control knob, most people think it's tone control and looking in the back there is a little circular dial back with a tiny green capacitor so I guess that fits but it don't seem to work, could that be the battery?

My other friend has looked at it and thinks not, he noticed that the jack is different to his. On his bass which is also active there are only 2 wires going to the jack on mine there are 3. Why does a bass need a 3 Pin jack? Is this the active setup or something else the only reason I can see the need for a 3 pin jack is stereo over mono

[quote name='Mikey-t1994' post='1319270' date='Jul 28 2011, 01:21 PM']It is the custom for sure, did a bit more research last night, still can't figure out the 4th control knob, most people think it's tone control and looking in the back there is a little circular dial back with a tiny green capacitor so I guess that fits but it don't seem to work, could that be the battery?

My other friend has looked at it and thinks not, he noticed that the jack is different to his. On his bass which is also active there are only 2 wires going to the jack on mine there are 3. Why does a bass need a 3 Pin jack? Is this the active setup or something else the only reason I can see the need for a 3 pin jack is stereo over mono[/quote]

I'd expect the 4 controls to be ((probably) from front to rear) Volume, Pick-up Pan, Treble and Bass respectively. The tone controls may be the other way around.
With regard to the wiring, it's quite common practice to use a "stereo" or TRS socket in active basses, just to control the switching for the power to the EQ. Inserting a Jack plug (of the "mono" (TS)) persuausion will complete the circuit. Removing the plug will cut off power to the EQ, thereby saving the battery.
Why 3 wires and not 4? Common ground(-ve) for signal and 9v supply.

[quote name='Ou7shined' post='1317600' date='Jul 26 2011, 08:34 PM']Good score.
It will most likely be set up (to perfection) for drop C. If you plan on taking this seriously, you should probably have it re-set-up when you switch to a more standard tuning.... by a reputable guitar tech - not by the local bodger or your local guitar shop.[/quote]

I used to own a 'local guitar shop' and I'm not a bodger :)
Vast majority of us local guys are honest hard working people who don't rip people off.
JUst so you know. :)