Why become a member? ×

More Boring String Advice

jay

I have been playing bass for nearly 10 years and for some reason have never given my strings much consideration. I really want to try out new brands, but i'm a student and can't afford to be buying new strings to try every week. I play in two bands, but im looking for some strings to suit a modern jazz type band im doing, I want to get a warm punchy tone that cuts through and isn't too overwhelming. I already have a nice Fender Deluxe P bass and a decent rig, so strings are a small consideration tone-wise, but it's something I want to start paying more attention to. Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1311570' date='Jul 21 2011, 02:23 PM']A lot of people rave about using flatwounds on a P Bass. They'll give you a very round warm old school kinda sound.[/quote]
Yes, and D'Addario Chromes seem to be very popular among the flats.

I have LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Hohner headless. They sound and feel pretty good.

[quote name='silddx' post='1311673' date='Jul 21 2011, 03:56 PM']Yes, and D'Addario Chromes seem to be very popular among the flats.

I have LaBella Black Nylon Tapewounds on my Hohner headless. They sound and feel pretty good.[/quote]

MB1. :)
What do you use on your Buzzard? :)

Edited by MB1

[quote name='jay' post='1311546' date='Jul 21 2011, 02:09 PM']I have been playing bass for nearly 10 years and for some reason have never given my strings much consideration. I really want to try out new brands, but i'm a student and can't afford to be buying new strings to try every week. I play in two bands, but im looking for some strings to suit a modern jazz type band im doing, I want to get a warm punchy tone that cuts through and isn't too overwhelming. I already have a nice Fender Deluxe P bass and a decent rig, so strings are a small consideration tone-wise, but it's something I want to start paying more attention to. Any advice would be very welcome!

Thanks[/quote]

I would try D'Addario Chromes, flatwounds. They are not as dull as most flats and I find they allow you to play with your tone control a lot more. Lots of body, yet fat and not overpowering.
They work really well on P-basses.