Why become a member? ×

Power adapter question

Paul S

I am sure this is a simple question with a simple answer but I wouldn't know where to start looking other than Basschat!

I have a Zoom B2.1u multi-effect pedal that I use with it's AC adapter - with an output of 9v DC 300mv.

I have a Boss LS-2 line selector that I currently use with batteries, which seems daft, given that I have an AC adapter on the go for the Zoom unit. According to the manual it uses a PSA series AC Adapter - I have no idea what this means. I just plugged the Zoom adapter into the Boss unit, and it seems to work (in that the lights came on when I stomped on it). Is this adapter ok to use?

Then, hooking the two up, the Boss unit has an AC output for daisy chaining and, again, the manual says it needs to be a PCS-20A power cable. I Googled this and it seems an 8 way lead is all you can get - can you get a double only?

Ta.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1310438' date='Jul 20 2011, 03:32 PM']I am sure this is a simple question with a simple answer but I wouldn't know where to start looking other than Basschat!

I have a Zoom B2.1u multi-effect pedal that I use with it's AC adapter - with an output of 9v DC 300mv.

I have a Boss LS-2 line selector that I currently use with batteries, which seems daft, given that I have an AC adapter on the go for the Zoom unit. According to the manual it uses a PSA series AC Adapter - I have no idea what this means. I just plugged the Zoom adapter into the Boss unit, and it seems to work (in that the lights came on when I stomped on it). Is this adapter ok to use?

Then, hooking the two up, the Boss unit has an AC output for daisy chaining and, again, the manual says it needs to be a PCS-20A power cable. I Googled this and it seems an 8 way lead is all you can get - can you get a double only?

Ta.[/quote]
shouldn't be a problem. if the Zoom unit can run on batteries, then DC is o.k.

i couldn't find a double connector cable either, so i'll keep ane eye on this for reference. i found a five-way on the johnnyshredfreak site.

AC - alternating current - as in wall sockets
DC - Direct current - think batteries.

now 'most' pedals will need to be feed DC - lets just go with 9v (v=volts) your AC adaptor kicks out 9 volts, and can supply 300 milliamps. so as long as your LS2 and zoom, have a current consumption of less than 300 milliamps combined, you can then daisy from the power supply no probs! also check out [url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=down_for_maintenance"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...for_maintenance[/url] they have lots of goodies, power supplys daisy chains etc!

HTH

BP

Thanks for that. Is it worth checking the consumption of both units? I am thinking that it can't be too tricky and that mixing and matching stuff is perfectly ok as you can buy all these daisy chain leads for using many pedals together.

Johnnyshredfreak is closed for summer hols - every topic on search came up with this link! Maybe I should wait until he is back up for business.

[quote name='Paul S' post='1310611' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:55 PM']Thanks for that. [b]Is it worth checking the consumption of both units?[/b] I am thinking that it can't be too tricky and that mixing and matching stuff is perfectly ok as you can buy all these daisy chain leads for using many pedals together.[/quote]

Yes, check consumption.

If the supply is rated at say 500mA and both units draw 300mA then the unit will be flat out and not work correctly.

(It will probably burn out in the end too).

A power brick usually has one amp (1000mA) so power to spare and will run loads of pedals.

Boss consumption = 25 mA
Zoom = 300 mA

so you are over the 300mA rating of the AC/DC adaptor, whilst probably 'safe' I would buy a new adaptor with more 'headroom' as when your pedal stock increases, you will be able to use it.

the other thing to check is the tip polarity - make sure thats correct!

OK - canvassing opinions here. Had a look on eBay - [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150559888401"]this here[/url] is a replacement Boss power supply that will take 1000mA.

And [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-4-5-WAY-PEDAL-DAISY-CHAIN-POWER-SUPPLY-SPLITTER-CABLE-/150559989960?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item230e1320c8"]this here[/url], from the same seller, is a daisy chain lead. Presumably the fact that is has more than I require doesn't matter for now and means I could add effects as and when the time comes when I want to branch out from just the Zoom multi? - it is cheap enough.

Would this work?

Edited by Paul S

Most Boss type pedals are 9v -tip & draw anything between 10 & 100mA. Moog pedals are 9 to 15v +tip & most are @100-300 mA.
I have a Godlyke Powerall with a daisychain for running my boss type pedals & a polarity switch cable to my Bass Murf, & I have a separate PSU for the moog LPF (it hates sharing power supplies).

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1310724' date='Jul 20 2011, 07:33 PM']Yes it would.

A cheap alternative. :)

Maplin do a system for £24.99 ([url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/power-bank-31292"]here[/url])[/quote]

Ah, good. I like cheap alternatives. I'll buy these then - thanks again. Does having a line selector and multi-effect unit qualify as a 'pedal board' or do I have to mount them onto something first? :)