Why become a member? ×

J P HB all on one bass?! Am I Mad?

gavgravy

Firstly, I realise there's tons of these topics on here but I am SUCH a noob I thought I'd just ask again the direct questions I need answering and hope people take pity on me and don't mind repeating themselves.

Me and my housemate/band mate have never built a guitar before. I have a squire precision that we've just de fretted and now we're thinking 'what else could we do?' so we joked about having all three pick ups on one bass.

So if you were doing this mad feat where would you position each pick up?

I love the precision pick up where it is (about 4.8 inches from the 20th fret)
I was thinking a Bridge Humbucker and a Neck Jazz pick up

So where would you put them?

Any other hints and tips I should know?

Thanks for your time guys, it's really appreciated

[quote name='gavgravy' post='1308664' date='Jul 18 2011, 11:54 PM']Firstly, I realise there's tons of these topics on here but I am SUCH a noob I thought I'd just ask again the direct questions I need answering and hope people take pity on me and don't mind repeating themselves.

Me and my housemate/band mate have never built a guitar before. I have a squire precision that we've just de fretted and now we're thinking 'what else could we do?' so we joked about having all three pick ups on one bass.

So if you were doing this mad feat where would you position each pick up?

I love the precision pick up where it is (about 4.8 inches from the 20th fret)
I was thinking a Bridge Humbucker and a Neck Jazz pick up

So where would you put them?

Any other hints and tips I should know?

Thanks for your time guys, it's really appreciated[/quote]

There is a commercially available bass with the pickup combination you describe - the Spear Flextool:

I'm not saying it's the way to go, but hope it gives you some food for thought...

That was the original plan when I built this

But I realised that I didn't really need a humbucker at the bridge position as I had enough wiring and switching options with a single coil :)

[quote name='tommorichards' post='1309075' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:05 PM']bene there, done that :)

Some great sounds i can get from it.[/quote]

Perfect!!! That's even the same colour I've bought for mine!! :)
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful! I need to know all you can tell me about how to put this bad boy together! I dare say mine will turn out different though - was thinking of taking the 3 way switch from a jaguar guitar/bass

When i first started it, i had on/off switches for each pickup, and a separate volume for each, then a master volume and tone. Not a lot of choices. So then i had a look around, and realised that i could utilize this:

If you think about it, the bridge MM has 2 coils, the P and J could act as 2 coils, then the 2 outputs from those switches could act as a third set of coils, which means there are 3 super switches, then a vol and tone. I can get a wide variety of sounds from it too. Like the J and bridge coil of the MM in parallel. Or the P and J parallel. or each coil in parallel.

I have been asked about it a few times, so i think ill have to make a build thread about it sometime soon.

I recorded a soundclip with it today. My mate was testing the recording capabilities of his blackberry torch. Amazing sound resolution for what was quite loud. But i played it through my trace combo with one of the EQ presets active, so im not sure how much sound is down to the bass, but it was on neck J and MM bridge coil in parallel.