Why become a member? ×

Wal vs Squier Precision

BottomE

[quote name='chris_b' post='1303251' date='Jul 14 2011, 09:53 AM']The Squire could easily have sounded better but how many people would tell the difference while getting their ears battered by a band and a house PA system? I wouldn’t judge the ultimate quality of basses based on a “weekend warrior” thrash in a pub.[/quote]
Again, it was low volume - all musos were pros or at least semi pro and there was no thrashing. I understand your defensiveness as you are a Wal owner but don't think your condescending tone (the bit in apostrophes) is adding anything to this thread.

Even when I've heard basses been played at quieter gigs, I still really can't tell the difference. The only way I can ever tell some differences is if the basses are being played with a plectrum, which IMHO tends to bring out a bit more variation (i.e. a Jazz and Pbass sound different, maybe also a Stingray). I'm still not convinced that more expensive basses make a better sound, for these reasons. One of the better bass sounds I heard at a gig was a few years ago - and that was a 'cheapo' Hohner hollow-bodied (I think) bass being played with a plectrum at a psychobilly gig...

My OLP MM sounds far better than my Jaydee ever did in a band situation - much to my horror. The Jaydee was sold shortly after. MIss the bass, but not the sound.

I later replaced my Status KingBass with a £200 Warwick RockBass - again - in a band situation, it fitted much better.

IMHO of course

Graeme

What amp was it? Some amps sound the same whatever bass is out through them, if it was an Ashdown or cheap Marshall or the like you could play any two basses through it and they'd sound the same IME. Stick them through a decent amp, especially something transparent like a GB or an Eden and I'm sure they'll sound very different.

Don't forget the OP said that very little was coming out the PA, so lets not bring sound engineers etc into the arguement.

In my experience a good bass player (or any other instrument for that matter) can make a dreadful bass sound good (look at Jack Bruce for example - no, only joking!). If a Wal sounds similar to a P, and a Squier P sounds similar to one too then they are both going to sound similar, especially through the backdrop of the rest of the band.

Conclusion to my comment then, practice more to sound better, not buy an expensive guitar.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1303397' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:08 PM']What amp was it? Some amps sound the same whatever bass is out through them, if it was an Ashdown or cheap Marshall or the like you could play any two basses through it and they'd sound the same IME. Stick them through a decent amp, especially something transparent like a GB or an Eden and I'm sure they'll sound very different.[/quote]
aha - thats a good question. I didn't look (i will next time) but believe it was from the TC Electronic BH range.

[quote name='fatboyslimfast' post='1303424' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:26 PM']Doh!

Just spotted a really tidy Squier Precision on the 'bay for £70 Buy It Now.

Too much to resist. Hit the button.

:) Bloody GAS...[/quote]
Did the same thing last week and picked one up that has been modded with MIM and US bits for £80. Got to be worth a punt.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1303467' date='Jul 14 2011, 12:55 PM']It's either a good sound or a bad sound, regardless of what gear you're using.[/quote]
Yep - very true. Both basses sounded great. It certainly didn't seem like there was £2.5k worth of aural difference.

Well, we seem to have established that - in varying listening circumstances - some basses might sound different from (or similar to) other basses. And that such basses might sound subjectively 'better', 'worse' or 'as good as' depending on the listener's taste, etc.

Life is a wonderful thing and there's a flavour for everyone. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1303509' date='Jul 14 2011, 01:26 PM']Well, we seem to have established that - in varying listening circumstances - some basses might sound different from (or similar to) other basses. And that such basses might sound subjectively 'better', 'worse' or 'as good as' depending on the listener's taste, etc.

Life is a wonderful thing and there's a flavour for everyone. :)[/quote]

I think I'd like to propose you as the Emeritus Basschat professor of philosophy. :)

Slightly more on topic. We ought to bear in mind that at most gigs the majority of the audience won't be clear about which sounds are coming from which instrument..............and are not really bothered about it anyway.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1302906' date='Jul 13 2011, 09:41 PM']If I go to a gig I make a point to make sure the engineer mixes me in the FOH how it sounds through my rig, otherwise the band ends up sounding like every other generic Indie pop rock band.[/quote]

ive got a gig coming up where ive heard the sound guy before and he equed the bass of every band as if they were a raggae dub band, what are the most diplomatic ways of telling a sound guy to not to eq your bass at the moment im thinking of putting a note on the channel list? id love to know because its a big gig that is going to be recorded and filmed, thanks

also id like to add how interesting it is how little credit you guys give the punters im shore most of them can hear the difference between a good and bad bass tone even if its at a sub-conches level that dictates whether or not they dance or walk away because "this band is sh*t"

[quote name='Mugz.wood' post='1303562' date='Jul 14 2011, 02:22 PM']also id like to add how interesting it is how little credit you guys give the punters im shore most of them can hear the difference between a good and bad bass tone even if its at a sub-conches level that dictates whether or not they dance or walk away because "this band is sh*t"[/quote]

I think though that if a bass player is struggling to hear the sound difference between 2 basses then a punter will too - thats if they are interested. After all a bass player is a punter when he is not playing.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1303147' date='Jul 14 2011, 03:29 AM']Put them in a studio though and it will soon become clear that one is an el-crappo P bass and the other is a Wal.[/quote]

Ish! I have both, though my squier is an '81 JV (Fender by Squier), with a seymour duncan pickup, so a little unfair from this comparison. However, they both do different things, and IMHO are both valued for that reason. I struggle to make my Wal sound precision-y (but then why would I want to?), and the other way round I haven't a prayer as the Wal is a Wal!

Now, on the other hand, 2 years ago I wanted a cheapo 5 string backup, so bought a black Squier Jazz, and that IS a heap of sh*te!!

Regarding them sounding the same live, that doesn't surprise me too much with all the other racket going on at an indie gig!! Not really the place for fair comparison!!

I used to have a Wal and a Squier P. They were so difficult to tell apart that I had to get John Giblin to Autograph the more expensive intrument. Whenever I needed to identify one from the other it was then easy...

The writing is on the Wal.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1303147' date='Jul 14 2011, 03:29 AM']Put them in a studio though and it will soon become clear that one is an el-crappo P bass and the other is a Wal.[/quote]

I think you are being snobish calling a Squier P bass"el crappo" We cant all afford to throw several thousand on boutique basses.

[quote name='Conan' post='1304765' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:34 PM']I used to have a Wal and a Squier P. They were so difficult to tell apart that I had to get John Giblin to Autograph the more expensive intrument. Whenever I needed to identify one from the other it was then easy...

The writing is on the Wal.[/quote]
nice - very clever

[quote name='daz' post='1304785' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:59 PM']I think you are being snobish calling a Squier P bass"el crappo" We cant all afford to throw several thousand on boutique basses.[/quote]
Agreed.

[quote name='MoJoKe' post='1304736' date='Jul 15 2011, 02:02 PM']Regarding them sounding the same live, that doesn't surprise me too much with all the other racket going on at an indie gig!! Not really the place for fair comparison!![/quote]
What indie gig are you referring to?

I think the very good point made is that in a live gig there's not many punters can tell the difference in sound quality. If it takes a good studio and clean recording then it justifies the extra money you pay for along with the pleasure of hopefully superior playability.

Well, 'superior playability' may also be a bit of a trip into the imagination than anything else too. I'm not sure how or why an expensive bass should be somehow more playable. Unless, of course, it's a custom job specfically crafted to suit your hands, stance, body, etc.

[quote name='BottomE' post='1304799' date='Jul 15 2011, 03:11 PM']What indie gig are you referring to?[/quote]

Oops, Sorry, misread your original post :) , I certainly wasn't commenting on your taste/style! Not that it changes much, whatever the music style, a live gig isn't the best place to do a comparison on two basses as there are so many other considerations to allow for, not least a. the amount and EQ of bass in the FOH, being at the mercy of the sound guy, and b. where the bass sits in the rest of the mix.

Put the two into a quiet, non reflective room and play through the same amp, but even then the levels will need to be adjusted to reflect the Squeir is passive and that the Wal will take your head off at the same gain, which will also colour the perceived sound.

As said, not necessarily better, just different. I'm not being a bass snob, I love my Squeir and would never be parted from it.

Actually, thinking about it, the reality here is this debate is more about build quality and feel, and less about tone. Tone can be altered by amps/cabs/ the player/active electronics/pedals/the list is endless.....

I do know that if I get GAS and go shopping I generally exclude a bass by its feel, weight and balance way before I think of plugging it in or looking at the price ticket. I've been through quite a few basses (not as many as a few here though!), and have been drawn to things by their "feel" which I would never have picked up by just looking at or hearing someone else play. on the flipside I picked up and tried out a lakland at the Mansons guitar show a few years back, and its setup felt horrible and unbalanced. I recently got a bad case of GAS, reluctantly tried a 55-02 again, and I now own two of them...

Edited by MoJoKe