Why become a member? ×

Bent bridge

Gust0o

Picked up a bargain bin bass at the weekend, with a view to applying some TLC.

The only issue currently is that the bridge appears to be trying to lever itself away from the body. I'm assuming this is a combination of a bridge material which might well be tin, and some exigency of the bass' original set up.

Was looking for some advice - specifically, what part of the setup works to generate this? Are there some good tips for avoiding?

I was looking to ship the original out for a new Gotoh, as am rather fond of those, so it's a good excuse - but also an opportunity to learn something.

Never heard of this happening before - are you sure its the bridge actually bending? What kind of bridge its it? With a standard Fender BBoT or a copy, I'd imagine you'd need a ridiculous amount of string tension to bend it. Are the bridge screws good & tight & holding it on properly? If not, perhaps the screwholes need packing with the old toothpick & glue trick.

Can you post a piccy of it?

I can post one tonight. The main body of the bridge has four screw holes - all four are flush with the body, though the rear most screw under the G string appears to attempting to pull away.

At the rear of the bridge is a kind of 'high mass' block - through which the strings feed, and the saddles connect. It's this part which is bending upwards, assumedly under the tension. The angle is may 3-5 degrees. Sufficient to create a small gap between bridge and body.

Whilst I want a new bridge, this does seem an oddity. Playability is fine, and considering I paid a £100, I have no issues.

Lots of bridges exhibit a small degree of tail lift. The bridge on my Gibson Victory Artist has it, you can slide a piece of paper under the back of it behind the mounting screws. Doesn't seem to affect performance (break angle over the saddles) and bear in mind it's taken 30 years to move as much as it has.

Could be worse:

Without a picture I'm trying to imagine. But if the bridge itself is bent replacing the bridge with a Gotoh should sort it. As already said you might need to pack the holes before screwing in - assuming they line up with the new bridge. If not I'd pack them and start again.

I prefer to use baking soda and superglue to pack holes, you can use wood dye to get the baking soda to the same colour as the wood of the bass. it sets rock hard and fills all of the hole. you have to work fast though :)

[quote name='Gust0o' post='1299651' date='Jul 11 2011, 10:00 AM']Picked up a bargain bin bass at the weekend, with a view to applying some TLC.

The only issue currently is that the bridge appears to be trying to lever itself away from the body. I'm assuming this is a combination of a bridge material which might well be tin, and some exigency of the bass' original set up.

Was looking for some advice - specifically, what part of the setup works to generate this? Are there some good tips for avoiding?

I was looking to ship the original out for a new Gotoh, as am rather fond of those, so it's a good excuse - but also an opportunity to learn something.[/quote]

Guys, this should give you a bit more of a sense!

Sorry they're such bad shots, bit of a quick effort with the iPhone - hopefully you can see the lift to the rear of the bridge.

As I said, the playing seems ok... sure new bridge would sort, which I'd like to put in if I'm keeping (change all hardware bar the GB70 style tuners).

Yep that certainly looks to me like the strings have persuaded it away from true. If it were mine I'd whip it off and bend it back and see if it goes again. If it does, get a new one as you will obviously be losing a bit of acoustic transference... if, like me, you believe in such things.

Doesn't seem enough to worry about, if its not getting any worse.

Its not great, looks like more effort has gone into producing than the Fender BBoT and it looks cast, in which case don't try to straighten it as its likely to snap.

(It won't actually be tin though that material is too expensive and soft.)

No where near as bad as I imagined! I wouldn't worry too much. Its a feeble design because the screws are so far forward. If you're planning to replace it with a Gotoh I'd just get on with it. Otherwise, if its not affecting playing just leave it for now.
I wouldn't try to bend it back though, you'll probably just make it weaker Uri Geller style :)
It may be the result of someone tuning the strings very high, but as you said its a cheapo bass, its likely to be a cheapo bridge too.

[quote name='brensabre79' post='1301086' date='Jul 12 2011, 02:36 PM']No where near as bad as I imagined! I wouldn't worry too much. Its a feeble design because the screws are so far forward. If you're planning to replace it with a Gotoh I'd just get on with it. Otherwise, if its not affecting playing just leave it for now.
I wouldn't try to bend it back though, you'll probably just make it weaker Uri Geller style :)
It may be the result of someone tuning the strings very high, but as you said its a cheapo bass, its likely to be a cheapo bridge too.[/quote]

Yeah, the Platinum series are a cheaper BC Rich line - however, if you go into it with your eyes open and knowing what to look for you can find a gem.

Or at least, I thought I knew what I was looking for. I took the bridge off to treat the chrome and don't recall it being bent then - so I'm left wondering if I did it, though tuned to DADG with some EBs I'm wondering how I might have gone about it. The Gotoh is on order!

However, what a cracking little bass. I need to do some NBD pictures, but shed loads of fun. Nice fat neck, lovely action; a bit boomy from the inevitably cheap pick-ups; but a good start I feel, and a darn sight cheaper than waiting for a US or NJ Mockingbird.