Why become a member? ×

Decent amp on a tight budget?

BASainty

Im on a strict budget of £250 for a decent amp but not sure where to start or what to look for.

Im looking for something that will stand up against the drums/guitars ect in a practice room but also be able to be used in small gigs (pubs/clubs the usual venues).

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

You can usually pick up peavey heads and cabs dirt cheap, built to survive anything from my experience, and can get pretty loud.

To give you an idea, I sold a peavey session bass head on here for £100 not long back, and I saw a thread recently with someone getting a peavey 1x15 cab of eBay for about £40!

Having had the same set-up, that is a bargain.

Really good sounding gear, the Marshall MB range, especially for rock/punk (kindof expected, really).

And small gigs? This set-up will fill out most places. I used mine in a punk band with 2 guitarists using half-stacks, and in a metal band, again 2 guitarists with half-stacks. For rehearsals I just used to use the combo, only dragged the 115 out for gigs!

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1299351' date='Jul 10 2011, 10:13 PM']You can have my Marshal stack for £200 if you want to come and pick it up :)

MB4210 with MBC 1 x 15 extention cab.

450 watts of pure loudness![/quote]

Sounds like a bargin!

But sadly i am lacking transport so i will not be able to pick it up :)

You'd be able to freight it for less than you think, try senditnow.co.uk

I'd have to recommend a trace elliot (an old one on ebay/gumtree) over a peavey though. Better sound IMO, tend to have fewer things fallen off them/about to fall off them, and generally underrated power wise.

I would also recommend the Line 6 Lowdown combo series, second hand they'll be cheap and even new they've come down a lot in price, a bit chunky but an unbelievably great range of sounds for the price. Plenty of people dislike amp modulation, but I can honestly say that this thing is capable of producing so many sounds as good as if not better than the amps it is trying to recreate IMO! Nearly bought one myself but went for a half stack instead.