Why become a member? ×

What do you guys play when sound checking

gt4ever

We'll play sonmething that's been dropped from the set for a venue soundcheck. Don't want to spoil it for the inevitable 3 odd people who are in early and wandering about aimlessly for some obscure reason.

For pubs we'll bash out a verse and a chorus of the first song for levels about 5 minutes before we start.

Bass level check - I do what it says in my sig, hit the fat string lots. Its what I mostly do during the set so thats the best thing for me to soundcheck to.

Band soundcheck - what ever is the newest track in the set generally - extra practice never goes a miss!

My bass soundcheck is usually You Can Leave Your Hat On. Plenty of sustained low notes, a couple of little flourishes up the dusty end for the full range, and a couple of pops to make sure it's snappy enough or not too harsh.
My mic soundcheck is usually My Old Man's A Dustman :)
[quote name='leschirons' post='1298623' date='Jul 9 2011, 09:53 PM']I hate band sound checks and refuse to do them. If it's a usual gig, it's all done in the first 15 seconds of the first verse. Me on my own? turn on, play four notes, turn down master, put bass on stand, wonder why drummer is still setting kit up and guitarist is frantically swapping patch leads in all combinations.[/quote]
My band has 13 members... can you imagine the sonic car-crash that would ensue if we refused to do soundchecks? :)

In my old band that i used to play drums in I used to play Bite The Bullet by Machine Head as my sound check which is good because it uses all the kit and looks flash :)

When we had a group sound check to check the mix we used to play one of our most lively and explosive songs which we found made the audience stick around and wait for you, where as normally people watch the band they came to see and then bugger off which always happens to be the 1st or 2nd band on the bill.

For bass I find that the super mario brothers theme goes down a treat.

In our pub gigs we very rarely have the luxury of a soundcheck. Plug in, switch on, make sure everything works, then go. The singer usually plays a little with the vox PA in the first song or two.

One of the few times I did play a few lines in a soundcheck nearly caused me trouble.

We played a gig the same evening as one of England's less-than-stellar games in the World Cup. The game had finished, the TV had switched off and there was a gloomy and quiet mood in the London pub. I was checking my gear and without thinking played the bass riff from "Another one bites the dust".

A meaty hand attached to a large bloke tapped my shoulder. "E're mate, we don't want any of that 'bite the dust' stuff here".

The thing is, I have a definite Scots accent. And he was a big and rather pi**ed bloke. Hmmm, I thought, if I say anything now this might not go well...

So a nod, a raised hand, a smile, and I played something else.

Cheers

Graham