FS/FT SP Guitars Matt Garrison 5 style bass

34"
Light ash body wings with alder tone block
Burl mapple top
3 pieces mapple neck with Pau Rosa fingerboard
Seymour Duncan pickups with Aguilar OBP 3 preamp
Hipshot / Fodera hardware
19/20 mm at bridge

This bass is awesome…Super nice lookin, playing and sounding bass….

I only consider Sadowsky NYC 5 (I prefer a modern 24) or Fodera NYC 5 (24 frets prefered).....

[url="http://www.myspace.com/spguitars"]http://www.myspace.com/spguitars[/url]

Edited by Jul-D

I used to have the Fodera version of this and I have to say, yours looks very close indeed (even the wide fingerboard). The wood working looks to be of a very high quality too. The control layout is different, but overall, an extremely impressive looking bass - good luck. What's your 'sale' price?

[quote name='Jul-D' post='1294831' date='Jul 6 2011, 03:25 PM']Sorry Molan my basse has 34" scale and the B is tremendous[/quote]

Ok, just checking as I know Matt Garrison uses a 33" scale.

So does he now play SP Guitars as well as Fodera?

I've only ever seen him with a Fodera as far as I can remember.

Also - doesn't he use walnut bodies with ebony boards and Mike Pope pre-amps?

It's more of a copy than of a signature model...

But the guy has worked at the Fodera shop making basses, so he pretty much knows how it works, and anyway people ask for them so... definitely looks like it doesn't it?

:)

Umm, not trying to be difficult but it's not really a 'Matt Garrison' bass at all is it?

It's not a model he's ever played, it has the wrong scale length, made of different woods and has a completely different set of electronics installed.

I can't really see how it's going to play, sound or feel like a 'Matt Garrison' bass?

Wouldn't that make it a copy of a standard Fodera Imperial with a deeper cutaway?

Doesn't mean it isn't nice to play or won't sound good of course :)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='molan' post='1296837' date='Jul 8 2011, 09:33 AM']Umm, not trying to be difficult but it's not really a 'Matt Garrison' bass at all is it?

It's not a model he's ever played, it has the wrong scale length, made of different woods and has a completely different set of electronics installed.

I can't really see how it's going to play, sound or feel like a 'Matt Garrison' bass?

Wouldn't that make it a copy of a standard Fodera Imperial with a deeper cutaway?

Doesn't mean it isn't nice to play or won't sound good of course :)[/quote]

As you've now bumped this up - can I ask the same questions as you didn't reply previously?

[quote name='molan' post='1362421' date='Sep 5 2011, 12:18 AM']As you've now bumped this up - can I ask the same questions as you didn't reply previously?[/quote]

well said... doesn't have much to do with a garrison signature bass... of course not that i doubt the playability or quality of this instrument... for a "fake" fodera.... it does look MUCH better than all the fodera clones out there...

cheers :)

[indent][indent][quote name='molan' post='1296837' date='Jul 8 2011, 10:33 AM']Umm, not trying to be difficult but it's not really a 'Matt Garrison' bass at all is it?

[/indent][/indent]
Cause you can’t see the butterfly ? Matt played a lot of different fodera imperial signature : 33", 34", 35" and 36" scale, with Barts pickups, aero, seymour…, with different wood combo….
He never played my bass you are right, and fodera doesn’t install the OBP3.

[indent][indent]I can't really see how it's going to play, sound or feel like a 'Matt Garrison' bass?
[/indent][/indent]
Stas, the builder, has worked with Fodera, and the feeling is really the same… the finish is identical (I’ve owned 5 fodera so I know what I say), same neck and body size…… the sound is different cause the OBP 3 is not the Pope….

[indent][indent]Wouldn't that make it a copy of a standard Fodera Imperial with a deeper cutaway?

Doesn't mean it isn't nice to play or won't sound good of course :)[/quote]
[/indent][/indent]

Edited by Jul-D

"Cause you can’t see the butterfly ? Matt played a lot of different fodera imperial signature : 33", 34", 35" and 36" scale, with Barts pickups, aero, seymour…, with different wood combo….

He never played my bass you are right, and fodera doesn’t install the OBP3.

Stas, the builder, has worked with Fodera, and the feeling is really the same… the finish is identical (I’ve owned 5 fodera so I know what I say), same neck and body size…… the sound is different cause the OBP 3 is not the Pope…."

I'm not sure what difference a Butterfly would make other than an additional copyright infringement that an ex-amployee doesn't really care about because he lives in Russia & is beyond the reach of US law?

I'm gonna duck out of this one now. To my mind this isn't a 'Matt Garrison' bass as listed, it's simply a copy of one, with lots of fundamental differences to an original, and that's really a very different thing. I'm sure someone else will enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...