Why become a member? ×

Transcribing hardware

EBS_freak

I am finding myself doing more and more transcribing work and just wondered what you guys are using to hear your music that you are transcribing.

At the moment, I have an average set of headphones/portable CD player/laptop with transcribe!/audacity etc and am looking to get a good working solution so I can hear a defined bass line clearly to help my hearing for transcribing. Whilst I would love a good pricey set of monitors and amp, I am looking for a decent cheap (probs less that £200) solution, probably favouring an amp+speaker/powered monitor setup. Note - I'm probably going to be using my laptop as the audio source and will want the monitors to go quite loud.

What are you guys using and what would you recommend?

Edited by EBS_freak

A few quick tips that work for me:

- Use headphones instead of monitors. Helps me to concentrate on the bassline for some reason, probably because it negates any background noise/distractions. Closed back headphones would be ideal, but the ones I use are open and work just fine for this purpose. You should be able to pick up a good quality pair of 'cans' for around £100-£150 (or less). Not as versatile as a pair of monitors, perhaps, but a lot cheaper!

- If you have access to DAW software, trying playing with the EQ (or using filters/gates) to better isolate the bassline from the rest of the mix. I notice you're already using Audacity, so you may be doing this anyway... I personally use Reason/Record for this purpose as it has a fantastic EQ built-in, but another popular choice in terms of DAWs would be Reaper, which gives you access to 3rd part VSTs, many of which can be found online for free. You can pick up a licensed copy of Reaper for around £50.

- A cheap (and portable) alternative that I'm increasingly using myself is this little iPhone/iPod app:

[url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robick/id417016186?mt=8"]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robick/id417016186?mt=8[/url]

Hope that helps.

[quote name='Skol303' post='1293357' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:21 PM']A few quick tips that work for me:

- Use headphones instead of monitors. Helps me to concentrate on the bassline for some reason, probably because it negates any background noise/distractions. Closed back headphones would be ideal, but the ones I use are open and work just fine for this purpose. You should be able to pick up a good quality pair of 'cans' for around £100-£150 (or less). Not as versatile as a pair of monitors, perhaps, but a lot cheaper!

- If you have access to DAW software, trying playing with the EQ (or using filters/gates) to better isolate the bassline from the rest of the mix. I notice you're already using Audacity, so you may be doing this anyway... I personally use Reason/Record for this purpose as it has a fantastic EQ built-in, but another popular choice in terms of DAWs would be Reaper, which gives you access to 3rd part VSTs, many of which can be found online for free. You can pick up a licensed copy of Reaper for around £50.

- A cheap (and portable) alternative that I'm increasingly using myself is this little iPhone/iPod app:

[url="http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robick/id417016186?mt=8"]http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/robick/id417016186?mt=8[/url]

Hope that helps.[/quote]

Thanks for the pointers so far.

Headphones are an option - but again, what to buy? I know the industry standard were the DT100s - I don't know if this is still the case and whether or not they are the best in terms of hearing the bass before tweaking the eq. I have got Cubase on my my PC but I do a lot of transcribing at the piano, hence I just put the laptop on the piano and maybe run some headphones from there or have some monitors I can put on top of the piano. I find transcribing at the piano with a bass on my lap useful as I can get the chord structure sorted quickly and confirm inversions and stuff as my ear isn't always that good.

My computer speakers aren't that good - I should have been looking for a monitoring solution before now... but I do so little recording at home and anything I have done, I literally capture through my M-Audio 1010, download the Wav and go somewhere decent to mix.

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1293370' date='Jul 5 2011, 01:33 PM']Headphones are an option - but again, what to buy?[/quote]

... good question! Firstly, whenever this asked, bear in mind that folks tend to recommend what they use themselves out of 'loyalty' :) So my advice would always be to visit your local audio shop and try out some different options before you splash any cash.

That said, probably the most popular brand names for home studio headphones are Sennheiser, Behringer and Beyer (you mention the DT100s, which are still a good buy). All trustworthy manufacturers and worth the investment anywhere around the £100 mark or upwards.

I personally recommend a company called AKG Acoustics - they're lesser known, but I'd argue you get more bang for your buck$ with them (again, this is personal opinion!). The pair I use are these - which I've just noticed are now considerably cheaper than the price I paid for them originally!

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/akg_k240_mk_2_stereo_studio_headphones.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/akg_k240...headphones.html[/url]

Or if you want a closed-back pair, try these:

[url="http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/akg_k271_mk_2_stereo_studio_headphones.html"]http://www.dawsons.co.uk/acatalog/akg_k271...headphones.html[/url]

What you ideally want are 'non-attenuated' headphones - i.e. 'phones that transmit the sound to your ears with minimal 'meddling' in between, such as artificially boosting the bass and treble as some headphones tend do. I find non-attenuated 'phones much better for working with music in general, but that's just me. Others may have a different preference.

Edited by Skol303

Don't know if it's mentioned already, but there's an old trick of mine, which works everytime I have to transcribe basspart - just hook the whole tune up an octave (it will remain in the same key, get the idea? "Transcribe" has this function, but you can do that with other programs, setting +12 semitones), and bass will be in your face - no boominess, just clear bassline. It saves time, and it's better for your ears to listen to this 'midrange' stuff, rather than boomy mushy low-end thing..

Laimis

[quote name='Faithless' post='1293474' date='Jul 5 2011, 03:03 PM']Don't know if it's mentioned already, but there's an old trick of mine, which works everytime I have to transcribe basspart - just hook the whole tune up an octave (it will remain in the same key, get the idea? "Transcribe" has this function, but you can do that with other programs, setting +12 semitones), and bass will be in your face - no boominess, just clear bassline. It saves time, and it's better for your ears to listen to this 'midrange' stuff, rather than boomy mushy low-end thing..

Laimis[/quote]

Yes, that's one of my tricks already. One of the issues I am having is that I seem to be transcribing stuff off somewhat vintage recordings also - which means a lot of pop, crackle and hiss to further obscure the detail!

I fear that my current Fostex cans aren't delivering as well as some other cans could.

I know AKG products - good stuff, have a couple of their mics. Thanks for your recommendations though - they are certainly worth a look.

I don't know... maybe I've just M(onitor)AS.

Edited by EBS_freak

Apple iMac + Transcribe! + Teac Amp + Tannoy Mercury Bookshelf speakers.

The decent speakers made by far the biggest (sound) difference. Think they were about fifty quid used off the Bay.

If I'm going through headphones I use a Line6 Bass Pod with the usb connection and headphones. They're just run of the mill Sennheisers.

I bought some Tannoy Mercury bookshelves today and they are just the ticket. Everything seems to have suddenly become crystal clear... even stuff streamed via YouTube. Happy, happy happy! Just got work through these 50 odd tracks now...

[quote name='Faithless' post='1293474' date='Jul 5 2011, 03:03 PM']Don't know if it's mentioned already, but there's an old trick of mine, which works everytime I have to transcribe basspart - just hook the whole tune up an octave (it will remain in the same key, get the idea? "Transcribe" has this function, but you can do that with other programs, setting +12 semitones), and bass will be in your face - no boominess, just clear bassline. It saves time, and it's better for your ears to listen to this 'midrange' stuff, rather than boomy mushy low-end thing..

Laimis[/quote]
Never thought of that before. Just tried it, and it's perfect.

Well, it is true......you DO learn something new every day!!!

Cheers. :)

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='1298426' date='Jul 9 2011, 06:30 PM']I bought some Tannoy Mercury bookshelves today and they are just the ticket. Everything seems to have suddenly become crystal clear... even stuff streamed via YouTube. Happy, happy happy! Just got work through these 50 odd tracks now...[/quote]

Another happy customer :)

Similar bargains to be had with the likes of Kef Coda speakers. A proper speaker manufacturer at all costs basically.

Edited by thepurpleblob

Still pleased... yeah, they are doing the business. Things are soooo much easier now. It's amazing what a decent pair of speakers has made - should get better as the speakers are worn in a bit too... and as a bonus, they match the wood of the piano :)

Edited by EBS_freak