Why become a member? ×

How best to sell my Jazz?

outsider70

I put together a Jazz using genuine Fender parts recently. It's a great bass but the Jazz is not for me. I'm staying with my 'P'.

I want to sell for maximum return (it cost lots). Am I best to sell as a whole or will I get better return on selling the parts seperately?

specs are:

Fender MIJ 62 RI rosewood neck
Fender MIM body
Fender Reissue reverse tuners
Fender custom shop pups
Badass 2 bridge
S1 switching
Hard case

[attachment=6032:J_FULL.jpg]

Edited by outsider70

I know your case is different as the thing wouldn't exist if it weren't for you having built it in the first place, and you need to make your money back and all that, but I personally hate seeing basses being broken purely for profit. Specially one a nice looking as yours. :)

Sad truth is you probably will get more for it if you split it.

Pluck

Edited by sgt-pluck

+1 to sgt-pluck's comments.

Think of it this way - how would you advertise the bass as a whole ? You can't say that it's MIM Jazz as it isn't. You can't call it a 62 reissue either. You would have to find a buyer that wanted exactly that combination of parts to get a good price.

On the other hand, selling it separately might mean you end up with some items that no one is interested in plus it might take longer as you have to set up loads of different sales.

This is always the problem with selling on "bitsa" projects.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='148404' date='Feb 28 2008, 02:14 PM']i think you could stick it on ebay as a "Fender Jazz Bass" and then list the build in the description. I think you might do quite well out of it - that's just me saying, but if not, let me know how much you want for the control panel :)[/quote]

I'd have thought so too. you wouldn't get as much as a MIA, as it isn't, but you'd get more than a MIM I'd have thought. If I bought a standard MIM, I'd be looking to upgrade it similarly so you'd have saved me the bother. Although I'd use different parts and want to do it myself :huh:

Lovely bass though. If I'd have built it, I'd be loathed to take it apart again.

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='148404' date='Feb 28 2008, 02:14 PM']i think you could stick it on ebay as a "Fender Jazz Bass" and then list the build in the description. I think you might do quite well out of it[/quote]

Either that or one of the influx of tossers on the forum slagging off all the sales threads will report you as a scammer in the 'Ebay Links' :)

For what it's worth that is a great looking bass and I'd leave it a while see if someone fancies it. Incidentally what is that between the bridge PUP in the middle? (Gold Coloured strip???)

Edited by Mr Cougar

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='148949' date='Feb 29 2008, 02:06 PM']For what it's worth that is a great looking bass and I'd leave it a while see if someone fancies it. Incidentally what is that between the bridge PUP in the middle? (Gold Coloured strip???)[/quote]

It's the grounding strip on the Custom shop pickups......very retro!

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Thanks everyone for your advice.
Fact is despite it being a 'looker', I need to get maximum money back on what it cost.
Therefore I have decided to 'break' it up for parts.

Contact me if interested in any of the quality parts.
Probably put them all on Ebay also, so be quick!