Why become a member? ×

opinions please for budget studio instrument

stringintheshade

[quote name='Beedster' post='1279998' date='Jun 23 2011, 06:55 PM']Here's Wayne's VMJ for sale

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=142458"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=142458[/url][/quote]

Is that a shortie? The angle makes it look so. Anyone any experience of VM Jag shorties?

[quote name='stringintheshade' post='1279942' date='Jun 23 2011, 06:18 PM']Interested in that with the natural finish. And an easy upgrade. But the pups would add another 100 unless I can find one second hand. Could always do the pups later.

The Ibanez SR500 shape looks verrrry similar... much between them?[/quote]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121667&hl=best+%A3200+bass+ever"]Best £200 bass ever![/url]

If you check out my thread there, I bought one in VGC for £70! The whole project cost £200; Bass, pickups, CTS wiring kit and Wilkinson bridge!!!

I owned a BB414 before, and IMHO this RBX is better sounding. I felt the BB was lacking a bit of grunt sonically.

Edited by TRBboy

I recently bought an Ibanez GSR190 from a fellow basschatter for about £90 via fleabay and I have to say its a cracking bass!

Great sounding, lightweight, versatile (p and j pups) and a neck thats slimmer than a racing snake!

I'd tried a few Squier vm jags and cv precisions previously, but the Ibanez blew them all away in both build quality and sound.

[quote name='TRBboy' post='1280153' date='Jun 23 2011, 08:54 PM'][url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=121667&hl=best+%A3200+bass+ever"]Best £200 bass ever![/url]

If you check out my thread there, I bought one in VGC for £70! The whole project cost £200; Bass, pickups, CTS wiring kit and Wilkinson bridge!!![/quote]

Nice one. If I go this route, I'll call it a TRB modified BB414 in your honour. :)

• 2 weeks later...

An update is due.

It was a toss up between:

Yamaha RBX 270 and a bit of work on upgrading
Squier VM Jazz

I really really liked a used Squier I played in a shop round the corner and very nearly went for it. The Yamaha route was tempting but seems like too much DIY at the moment.

But then a latecomer came into the equation which I ended up getting:

Overwater Tanglewood Classic J

Overwater's P&J pups did it for me in the end, together with Overwater's reputation & apparent attention to detail. And many years ago when I was hunting for my first guitar, it was nearly a Tanglewood acoustic; I've always been impressed by their value & build quality. I don't need the active stuff as I'm going straight into a PC 95% of the time.

The Overwater is 2nd hand by a few weeks and should turn up in a couple of days & I'll let you know how I get on.

Edited by stringintheshade

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought the Squier Classic Vibe '50s P. Bass in Butterscotch Blonde, & found it to be superb for around £300. You can read my extensive review on it in a previous thread. It only has the one single coil, but what it puts out is real quality. This 'Classic vibe' series is really the cream of the crop of the Squier range. I would guess however that the new Jaguar Bass could possibly be a little more versatile, with it's combination of P & J pickups.
Depends how much you want to spend.

Tony.

+1 ibanez sr for ease of play and versatility its the best bass i've played/owned, its got a really thin neck but still has plenty of spacing at the pick ups the eqs and ridiculously sensitive, one problem with it is that the E sting is louder than the other strings just slightly this can be used as an advantage