Why become a member? ×

Bumping the combo

kingbee

Ummm - forgive my complete ignorance, but the question has to be asked.

One or two of you may recall that earlier this year I replaced my Hartke / Ampeg rig with a Hartke Kickback combo (which is very good, I have to say), because I was going to be involved with a band where everything - including my bass - would be going through the PA, with my combo DI-d to the mixing desk and me using the combo as a monitor.

To date that has all worked very well in practice, but I'm finding that in many situations I don't need the combo for monitor purposes - I can hear myself fine from the back line.

So, assuming this state of affairs continues, can someone recommend a little DI box I can plug my bass into which will XLR directly to the PA without the need for monitors or pre-amps or anything else? Only reason I ask is, as I get older (now 62+) I'm looking to carry as little kit as possible, and if I can avoid lugging the combo (which I'll keep for home practice or for gigs where a monitor really is required) around in favour of something I can stick in a coat pocket, as it were, that'll do for me.

I don't want to just walk into a music shop and be sold any old sh*t, especially since I'm sure that some or other forum member will, as always, be able to give me the best advice on the right way to approach this.

Sorry for the daft question, but when it comes to this sort of thing I really do not have a clue. Bit like my driving: I know where things are INSIDE the car, but don't ask me to show you the spark plugs .........

Thanks.

Bob

I have used the Sansamp BDDI to great effect in the past. However, I used it to provide grit - whilst it will do clean too, it will scoop your tone.

I have also used a simple Radial JDI Passive DI box in just such an application as yours. This would be a good choice if you simply want to pass the sound of your bass, unaltered, to the desk.

Sorry (told you I was thick), but I just want to make sure I've understood the options here.

I had assumed that all I have to do is to go straight from the bass's 1/4" jack out to the 1/4" input on the pedal, then via the pedal's XLR output straight to one of mic inputs on the mixing desk. However, the scenario below (lifted from the blurb for the Radial JDI Passive DI box) suggests an intermediate stage involving an amplifier of some kind.

[i]# A 5-string active bass connects to the JDI's ¼" input jack
[b]# The JDI's ¼" thru jack is connected to the amplifier input[/b]
# The JDI's XLR output connects to one of the mixing console mic inputs[/i]

Is this 'amplifier input' stage required in every case or is it just a feature offered by the Radial box? Could someone kindly set me right here?

Mean to say, too (as indeed Nottswarwick suggests), that I am not looking for an 'effects' pedal [i]per se[/i]: I usually like my sound 'straight'. Nor do I want to compete with the guitarist! No, I simply want to leave my combo at home whenever possible - that's really what I want the pedal for, as an amp 'substitute'.

Mind you, some of these pedals cost a damned sight more than I paid for my combo (s/h off Basschat)!

Thanks again.

[quote name='kingbee' post='1279833' date='Jun 23 2011, 05:04 PM']Sorry (told you I was thick), but I just want to make sure I've understood the options here.

I had assumed that all I have to do is to go straight from the bass's 1/4" jack out to the 1/4" input on the pedal, then via the pedal's XLR output straight to one of mic inputs on the mixing desk. However, the scenario below (lifted from the blurb for the Radial JDI Passive DI box) suggests an intermediate stage involving an amplifier of some kind.

[i]# A 5-string active bass connects to the JDI's ¼" input jack
[b]# The JDI's ¼" thru jack is connected to the amplifier input[/b]
# The JDI's XLR output connects to one of the mixing console mic inputs[/i]

Is this 'amplifier input' stage required in every case or is it just a feature offered by the Radial box? Could someone kindly set me right here?

Mean to say, too (as indeed Nottswarwick suggests), that I am not looking for an 'effects' pedal [i]per se[/i]: I usually like my sound 'straight'. Nor do I want to compete with the guitarist! No, I simply want to leave my combo at home whenever possible - that's really what I want the pedal for, as an amp 'substitute'.

Mind you, some of these pedals cost a damned sight more than I paid for my combo (s/h off Basschat)!

Thanks again.[/quote]

The amp thru jack is something you can use if you want to use a backline amp also, but you dont have to - you can use it exactly as you describe

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='1279117' date='Jun 22 2011, 10:03 PM']Or if you want to just try a cheap'n'cheerful option to see if it really works for you then the Behringer BD21 can be picked up for relatively little - has a good rep for tone too, although the plastic case won't take too much abuse.[/quote]
+1

It`s a good piece of kit, sounds great, and is fairly inexpensive, so a good way to try this option out, to see if it`s for you or not. Even if it`s not, and you decide you really do need the amp, it`s a great pedal to keep around, for those "just in case" moments.

I had this, and the Sansamp, and sold the Sansamp, quite happy with the Behringer.

Noting all that's been said, and very grateful for all comments to date, a guy in a music shop in Edinburgh today suggested that the [url="http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?id=58&cat=1&type=79"]Art Tube MP Studio v3[/url] would serve my needs well. I can get one for £50 or thereby. Anyone know if it will do the trick, for what I want it to do?

Just curious. It looks like a nice piece of kit.

I was going to suggest an ART DI box. The DI of choice in my favourite studio.

Not bass specific, no amp modelling/sim, just a good quality DI.

[url="http://www.artproaudio.com/products.asp?type=90&cat=13&id=102"]ART Active DI[/url]

Edited by clauster

Seymour Duncan Paranormal Bass DI. An active DI box with footswitchable 3-band EQ and a footswitchable contour for slap (not that I slap, but it's a nice EQ preset for cutting mids and boosting LF & HF). Jack in, XLR and/or jack out so you can split the signal between PA and backline if you want. Lacks a volume control maybe but there's usually one on the bass :)

ficelles

[quote name='kingbee' post='1279106' date='Jun 22 2011, 09:52 PM']Ummm - forgive my complete ignorance, but the question has to be asked.

One or two of you may recall that earlier this year I replaced my Hartke / Ampeg rig with a Hartke Kickback combo (which is very good, I have to say), because I was going to be involved with a band where everything - including my bass - would be going through the PA, with my combo DI-d to the mixing desk and me using the combo as a monitor.

To date that has all worked very well in practice, but I'm finding that in many situations I don't need the combo for monitor purposes - I can hear myself fine from the back line.

So, assuming this state of affairs continues, can someone recommend a little DI box I can plug my bass into which will XLR directly to the PA without the need for monitors or pre-amps or anything else? Only reason I ask is, as I get older (now 62+) I'm looking to carry as little kit as possible, and if I can avoid lugging the combo (which I'll keep for home practice or for gigs where a monitor really is required) around in favour of something I can stick in a coat pocket, as it were, that'll do for me.

I don't want to just walk into a music shop and be sold any old sh*t, especially since I'm sure that some or other forum member will, as always, be able to give me the best advice on the right way to approach this.

Sorry for the daft question, but when it comes to this sort of thing I really do not have a clue. Bit like my driving: I know where things are INSIDE the car, but don't ask me to show you the spark plugs .........

Thanks.

Bob[/quote]

Another vote for the SABDDI here!! Never had any issues with mid scoop. Use the Treble and Bass controls to counter it, or get one of the more up to date models with a Mid control..

I am a little confused though:

You say you don't need you combo because you can hear yourself "through the back line". If you leave your combo at home, which part of the back line will you be hearing yourself through? :)

Don't mean to be dense, but I genuinely think that the part of the back line your hearing yourself through is likely to be your combo doing it's job as a monitor!!?? :)

Or am I missing something very obvious??!!

Edited by bassicinstinct