Why become a member? ×

2 x 210s: Vertical or horizontal stacking?

4 Strings

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1318791' date='Jul 27 2011, 05:23 PM']Trace already did stuff with front resonant chamber:

[/quote]That's taking it to the extreme, and what you end up with is a 4th order bandpass. I'd imagine the mids are pretty weak with that one.
I once did some experimentation with the effect of a slot alone, as opposed to a full horn. A slot lowered the effective Fs of the driver by as much as 25%, which is a plus as far as the low end is concerned. But it also lowered the upper corner frequency by the same amount.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='1318791' date='Jul 27 2011, 10:23 PM']Trace already did stuff with front resonant chamber:[/quote]
I wondered if these would get a mention. Bit of an oddity in the bass guitar world, and I recall them polarising opinion a fair bit too! Neat idea though, 4th order bandpass but a port that radiates directly and modifies directivity at the same time. Scoop city when you fired them up, it wasn't very hifi!
The contribution of chamber resonance to the output of a foam blocked cab is by comparison going to be negligible by guitar/bass cab standards though...

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1318802' date='Jul 27 2011, 10:34 PM']That's taking it to the extreme, and what you end up with is a 4th order bandpass. I'd imagine the mids are pretty weak with that one.[/quote]

These little things sound stunning with a Precision through them. Not so good with a Jazz. But then I guess you'd probably worked that one out...

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='1318802' date='Jul 27 2011, 10:34 PM']That's taking it to the extreme, and what you end up with is a 4th order bandpass. I'd imagine the mids are pretty weak with that one.
I once did some experimentation with the effect of a slot alone, as opposed to a full horn. A slot lowered the effective Fs of the driver by as much as 25%, which is a plus as far as the low end is concerned. But it also lowered the upper corner frequency by the same amount.[/quote]
Is that a big problem if you also have a tweeter, as in the picture?

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1319906' date='Jul 28 2011, 06:52 PM']Is that a big problem if you also have a tweeter, as in the picture?[/quote]
Even best case there's an octave wide hole between where the useful high frequency response of a woofer stops and the average tweeter begins. This cab is a long way from best case.