Why become a member? ×

Guild B402-A

neepheid

The Guild B series basses have intrigued me for some time, I love the quirky shape and the traditional touches like set necks and 2+2 headstocks. However, having only been familiar with the B301/B302 (in mahogany or ash), I let it slide on the basis that I didn't really need another 20 fret passive bass with single coil pickups. Got that covered with the G-3.

That was fine until I found out about the B400 series. 22 fret, active/passive anyone? Oh damn, that's the reason not to get one blown apart and that's the sound of GAS escaping. I decided I had to have one of these. One wee problem - only 335 ever made, and that's total output of B401 (single pickup) and B402 (two pickups). I think I had only seen one online years ago, and I didn't know what it was so I didn't find out anything about them at that time.

What do you know? Pretty soon after I embark on this mission - one dutifully appears on eBay in the States. I hum and haw for a day or so ("Do I really need this?" - the usual moment of doubt before pulling the trigger) then I say sod it, click!

Well, it's here and I think it's bloody nice! I haven't had a chance to do nice photos, so here's a mix of photos from the auction and a couple of crappy phone camera ones:

I've only played it through my Tascam bass trainer into a computer subwoofer, but even then it sounds really nice - bright, but substantial, decent amount of adjustment in the EQ, series/parallel switch and emergency passive mode (no EQ unfortunately)

Better photos soon (it still needs a bit of a clean up and a set up), but suffice to say that I'm really pleased with it. Another one to add to the collection of under-appreciated American basses of the 70s and 80s :)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='clauster' post='1278474' date='Jun 22 2011, 01:19 PM']That is beautiful.

What's the story with the thing where the strap button would normally be?[/quote]

Never seen one before, it's a doubled over leather strip which is firmly secured to the bass at one side with a strap button very firmly set into it on the other which the actual strap fits over then the remainder of the strip fits over the top of it like another strap? Perhaps some kind of early straplock? I guess it's a similar idea to the doubled over end of a Comfort Strapp. Seems to work OK, but if it doesn't work out then I'll revert to a regular button.

[quote name='Hutton' post='1278624' date='Jun 22 2011, 03:29 PM']Congratulations Matt that Guild looks superb. Also nice to see my old Gibson sneaking in to the side of one of your photos.[/quote]

Thanks, yeah I've recently joined a band so the IV was taken to work for some lunchtime practising :)

This is a sweet bass. I gave it the once over a week or two ago and I have to say that although it was just through my "living room noodling" set-up, I can tell that it has a set of really nice tones to offer - full, articulate with that sweet "split harmonic" (I don't know how better to describe it). The action and general set up was off (Matt had only just got it) but it still felt playable. I think that my parting comment was that this could well knock Matt's L-2000 trib off the top spot in his collection.... and coming from a G&L nut that's saying something. :)

Indeed - serial number BD100313 makes it 1981 according to [url="http://support.guildguitars.com/downloads/datingyourguild.pdf"]this[/url]. It was a 50/50 shot anyway, they were only made in 1980 and 1981 it would seem...

[quote name='neepheid' post='1280618' date='Jun 24 2011, 10:16 AM']Indeed - serial number BD100313 makes it 1981 according to [url="http://support.guildguitars.com/downloads/datingyourguild.pdf"]this[/url]....[/quote]
Phew TFFT. The second I posed it I thought oh no I've got it wrong and Matt's gonna pull me up again. :)

I've cobbled together some soundclips for you. No, they're not brilliant, but they attempt to show the tonal variety of the bass.

[url="http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/b402-a%20soundclips/"]http://www.ifb.co.uk/~matthew/mp3/b402-a%20soundclips/[/url]

Edited by neepheid

• 1 year later...

[quote name='headofire' timestamp='1358352194' post='1937592']
That, sir, is a gorgeous piece... I have had a 301 fretless for years and its one of my favourites. I just put a deposit on a black 302 i cant afford but I really enjoy the feel and sound of these old guilds. A 'future classic' as people like to say. Have you still got it?
[/quote]

Oops, just saw this. Nah, I moved it on in the end, traded it for another odd bass, the G&L El Toro. "Future classic" is right, but I don't have the patience for the long game ;)