Why become a member? ×

GCSE practical exam tomorrow!

Welshbassist

Oooh, my practical exams tomorrow (today? time flies when you're practicing!)! I'm not really nervous at all, I quite like the pressure, but it's weird to think that a good chunk of your final mark relies on how well you perform for only a couple of minutes!

For those interested, I'm doing Crazy Little Thing Called Love by Queen as my ensemble piece (can't get enough of playing this!), and All Funked Up from the Rockschool Grade 5 book as my solo, it's pretty simple, but it's a catchy and groovy piece, and it has plenty of space for improv, love it! :)

Anyway, I should be off to bed now, I really need to get out of the habit of late nights. Wish me luck, basschatters!

I did guitar for GCSE performence. I failed miserably trying to play some bullet for my valentine on guitar (largely 'cos i didn't bloody practice!) forturnately i got full marks for the ensemble which was me and a mate playing my hero by foo fighters on guitar. I think it's the main reason i got a C 'cos the rest of my work was terrible. Btw even tho i'm an insomniac just like you i really reccomend you try to get to bed the night before for your exams.

Edited by EdwardHimself

It went ace! I'm really pleased with how it went! I got a really friendly exam lady, which was nice too! Although one thing did go wrong - I decided to sit on a drum throne, rather than a normal person chair (teehee), but as I sat on it, I noticed that it was a bit high, so I put my left hand down there, and tried to adjust it. Turns out the seat wasn't on the stand properly, and the seat fell, and stabbed a bit of my skin off (hardly the biggest injury ever, but it looked brutal)! I had to play with a bleeding left hand, so I ended up covering my fretboard in blood, basically, especially around the 12ths fret, where I played my improv solo haha.

But apart from a bloody hand (the actual cut was pretty small though), it all went hunky dory. :)

[quote name='Welshbassist' post='147464' date='Feb 26 2008, 10:17 PM']It went ace! I'm really pleased with how it went! I got a really friendly exam lady, which was nice too! Although one thing did go wrong - I decided to sit on a drum throne, rather than a normal person chair (teehee), but as I sat on it, I noticed that it was a bit high, so I put my left hand down there, and tried to adjust it. Turns out the seat wasn't on the stand properly, and the seat fell, and stabbed a bit of my skin off (hardly the biggest injury ever, but it looked brutal)! I had to play with a bleeding left hand, so I ended up covering my fretboard in blood, basically, especially around the 12ths fret, where I played my improv solo haha.

But apart from a bloody hand (the actual cut was pretty small though), it all went hunky dory. :)[/quote]

Last summer I did my AS Music prac. Unfortunately the week I had the practical I was really ill with flu. I did end up doing the prac. I did 3 pieces, a Bach Cello solo piece, You Can't Hold No Groove by mr Wooten and Drifting on acoustic guitar by andy mckee. The last piece is awesome if you don't know it, worth a search on youtube. 11 million views now :huh:.

I'm sure you'll be fine. Grade 5 is the highest mark band for GCSE so if you are finding those pieces simple I'm sure you'll nail it with top marks.

I went overkill on my AS with the pieces though got sort of owned by flu. I did score 100% though :) Which made me one happy chap for a long while after.

The Rockschool books are a bit tame in my opinion, more than one of the so-called grade 5 pieces consisted of not much more than roots! I think it's just the books that are aimed are younger audiences than other "serious" grade books/courses. Great building blocks though - the book provides you with arpeggios etc, which would prove to be really helpful to someone who isn't usually exposed to music theory (who the books are aimed at, I'd imagine)

Bach, Wooten and Mckee for your AS? That sounds great! I can't get enough of those Candyrat guitarists, Craig D'Andrea and Don Ross are my faves though!

100%? :) Doubt I'll score that high, even though I thought I did quite well! But I think I get enough to get me into the course I want next year :huh:.

yea i was really shocked, I felt like sh*t when i did the exam and I came out thinking I could have done it way better but apparently not. AS requirements for distinction are Grade 6 pieces + I believe.

I'm pretty sure Wooten and Mckee pieces go way into advance Grade 8 stuff. The Bach piece was Grade 7 too so choosing challenging pieces probably helped.

The guitarists on Candyrat are just incredible. Don Ross is mind blowing. Beautiful relaxing music too. Some of the best acoustic guitar tones about. Speaking of acoustic guitarists and incredible tone and playing ability, check this guy out: [url="http://youtube.com/watch?v=jwm-vxGgFf4"]http://youtube.com/watch?v=jwm-vxGgFf4[/url]

The tone on the tapping is perfect. I don't know what i'm more impressed by, his tone or his playing :) both are just brilliant.