Why become a member? ×

PRICE DROPPED TO 1250 euros!!! Warwick Streamer fretless,cca 198? RARE!!! serial no 196

dr1

Hey folks,
here's one very rare and gorgeous instrument. Serial number is [b]196[/b], note the plastic cover on the back where it says "[b]hand crafted in West Germany[/b][i][/i]". I'm not sure what wood is that,but it's extremely light and dry - fingerboard is ebony. Neck through, wonderfull sustain and sing. PJ EMG's as you can see. Comes with Warwick gigbag but I would ship it within Ibanez hardcase for safety AND with gigbag included. Not sure what year is that but you Warwick lovers surely knows those details from the serial and other listed specs ( no [b]"W"[/b] on the headstock too, and bridge is not Warwick bridge they started with some years after first models. ) Due to emergency (on Planet Earth)I am after 1250 euros, shipping via DHL ( 2 days delivery on your doorway) included!!!

Thanx!

here goes:

Edited by dr1

[quote name='Jebo1' post='146892' date='Feb 25 2008, 09:33 PM']Nice. Super collectible for the future no doubt about it![/quote]
sure, it will be worth lots of money in years to come plus it aint one of those museum species - this bass is very usable,y know, it has powerfull output and brilliant sound with beautiful playability.

I hadn't realised that Warwick had even gone as far as to copy the headstock design from the Spector NS models until you posted this. Fantastic. Thanks for posting. Very interesting.

I'd seen Curt Smith (Tears for Fears) using a Streamer with straight machines (I was offered this option when Warwick replaced the neck on my long-gone five string).

Lovely bass.

P

Just to help out fellow BCers the body wood is Cherry and it's likely as not an 83/84 bass.

NJ - The original versions were licensed to Spector until the change of the headstock shape and the angling of the machine-heads then Hey Presto it is now a Warwick design! IMHO still the nicest design that they didn't invent :)

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='146965' date='Feb 25 2008, 10:43 PM']Just to help out fellow BCers the body wood is Cherry and it's likely as not an 83/84 bass.

NJ - The original versions were licensed to Spector until the change of the headstock shape and the angling of the machine-heads then Hey Presto it is now a Warwick design! IMHO still the nicest design that they didn't invent :)[/quote]

What actually came first, the Spector NS (designed by Ned Steinberg) or the Warwick Streamer?

I'd understood the NS came about sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s...Wikipedia (because, hey, it's [i]never[/i] wrong) says Warwick introduced the Streamer in 1983.

P

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='147423' date='Feb 26 2008, 08:43 PM']What actually came first, the Spector NS (designed by Ned Steinberg) or the Warwick Streamer?

I'd understood the NS came about sometime in the late 1970s/early 1980s...Wikipedia (because, hey, it's [i]never[/i] wrong) says Warwick introduced the Streamer in 1983.

P[/quote]

Yep the Spector NS was first and Warwick initially licensed the shape from Spector. Warwick had it's 25th anniversary last year (they started in 82) and the Streamer was 'one' of their first basses, though the 'Nobby' and TV bass were also early models closely followed by the Thumb

[quote name='josh3184' post='147462' date='Feb 26 2008, 11:15 PM']make sure you put it on the warwick forums, you stand a good chance of finding a collector there and getting what its worth :)

[url="http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/index.php?katID=14571&cl=EN"]http://www.warwick.de/forum/phpBB2/index.p...14571&cl=EN[/url][/quote]

thanx matey! I should do that in the 1st place actually... thanx again, good idea!

[quote name='NancyJohnson' post='147423' date='Feb 26 2008, 08:43 PM']What actually came first, the Spector NS (designed by Ned Steinberg) or the Warwick Streamer?

P[/quote]

The first Spector NS basses were made around 1976. Warwick started copying the shape in the early 80's and were found out. They then 'licensed' the design from Spector/Ned Steinberger for a short while before stopping payments and changing the machinehead angle & slightly adjusting the headstock shape to try to make it their own. :huh:

They still owe Ned/Stuart a ton of money for their 'copy' bass. :)

Despite that, the 80's Warwicks were excellent basses and this one deserves a bump ;)

[quote name='cetera' post='148331' date='Feb 28 2008, 12:49 PM']The first Spector NS basses were made around 1976. Warwick started copying the shape in the early 80's and were found out. They then 'licensed' the design from Spector/Ned Steinberger for a short while before stopping payments and changing the machinehead angle & slightly adjusting the headstock shape to try to make it their own. :huh:

They still owe Ned/Stuart a ton of money for their 'copy' bass. :)

Despite that, the 80's Warwicks were excellent basses and this one deserves a bump ;)[/quote]

thanx mate...and your collection deserves respect!

I've said it a coulpe of times recently, and I'm not sure why but, the market for Warwicks is rock bottom at the moment. Maybe worth hanging onto for the future, they are bound to come back in fashion again and this is a lovely looking bass.