Why become a member? ×

The Boogie Bass 120

Pentode

I mentioned in some of my 'For Sale' threads a while ago that I had something special on the way. Well this is it!

A friend tipped me off about a chap called Rob Dix of [url="http://www.rdamplification.co.uk/"]R D Amplification[/url] who builds valve amps and that it might be worth my while having a chat with him. Some of you may remember me posting a piccie of his Boogie Bass 100 head which I considered but as I had the Sound City already I thought this might be a plan worth pursuing.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you - The Boogie Bass 120

Started off as my old Sound City 120 complete with noisy preamp. Rob gutted the whole thing keeping only the chassis and transformers and built a new preamp which is much simpler than the Sound City original and delivers shedloads of tone. It's amazingly noise free even with the volume turned right up and speaking of the volume turned up, it's also fecking loud played through my BFM Omni 15 Fullrange.

Does clean and dirty very nicely thank you very much!

Next thing to do is build a new head box 22" wide to go with the pair of Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 15's I've got on the go (on the go read slow in my case..).

A few more piccies -

Photo's courtesy of another Rob - [url="http://r-harvey.co.uk/#_"]Website[/url]

Cheers

Grahame

6CA7 - my favourite power valve for clean warmth.

Interesting routing of the heater cable and earth rail, but if it works (and it does, from your description) then that's all that matters. Traditional hand-crafted mix of board and PTP wiring looks good. Nice to have the expected voltages marked on the chassis too. Congrats on your 'new' amp.

Yes I prefer the 6CA7 over the EL34 which is generally used in the Sound City 120. As you say, clean and warm.

While the wiring may appear unorthodox for a hand crafted valve amp, it is totally stable and virtually silent even with the volume rolled right up. Rob spent some time getting the Boogie 120 just right and clearly wasn't going let me get my grubby little hands on it until [u]he[/u] was completely happy with it. :)

If you want something really special built to very high standards for what I consider to be a most reasonable price, I wholeheartedly recommend you give Rob a shout.