Why become a member? ×

Clicking

lushuk

Hi folks
When I play I get a yucky clicking sound from the e string around the 6th fret on my usa p bass (when playing hard (fingers)), it is worse with a bit of mid/top on the eq, ive had the bass checked over and it is set up fine so it maybe im hitting the strings to hard, I never got this on my last bass, but my p bass seems to have a lot more buzz etc in general. I have seen some rock band bass players with this clicking noise and it sounds pants, any ideas, tips?, anyway to get rid of it apart from hitting the strings softer.
Thanks Ed.

Edited by lushuk

Check that the strings aren't whacking against the pole pieces of the pick-ups - that's if they're exposed. I find i get a nasty clicking when I dig-in playing my American deluxe jazz, as the strings hit the polepieces. Probably need to lower my pick ups a tad.

You seem quite specific about the 6th fret E string but does that mean you are getting the click when the string is played open or when you fret @ the 1/2/3/4/5/6th fret? It may sound daft but are you getting 'any' noise from that point if you fret above it? Sometimes badly seated frets can give a sympathetic noise (no they don't go aaaargh) when you fret above/below the offending fret.

Hi guys and thanks for taking time out to reply, I was told the action and setup was spot on (not that I did it lol) I have checked its not hitting the pups, I meant the 6th freyt thats where it sounds like its comming from, I need to check how many frets it makes the noise for as I fret up the neck if you know what I mean , it is worse in drop d so I guess its catching a fret as I strike, wonder different gauge string would help?
Thanks Ed

In fact ill try it now...................... ok on the e string it makes the noise up to fret 12 then I have to hit it very hard to make the noise, I reckon the string is to thick lol but it bounces of the frets!
Ed

What I'd do is 1st try raising the E string saddle with an allen key a 1/4 turn on each side for a bit to see if the problem goes. If not you can lower it back where you started.

If you fret at the 1st fret and the last, at the same time, how much gap is there under the string?

Peter

[quote name='lushuk' post='145707' date='Feb 23 2008, 07:18 PM']..... I was told the action and setup was spot on....[/quote]

I'm not being cheeky or anything but there's no such thing as "perfect action" - it depends entirely upon your playing style. A player with a lighter touch can have a lower action than one with a heavier playing style so an action that's ideal for one player may not suit another player.

It's possible your action might be too low for your playing style (trying what GreeneKing has suggested might check this) or that there is not enough relief in the neck for your playing style. Both of these things might cause the strings to slap on frets when played hard.

Hi
Ok ive measured the gap holding down the 1st and last fret, at the middle a piece of a4 folded in half (printer paper 800 gms) has a snug fit like a feeler gauge on a spark plug if you know what I mean, how does that sound?
I dont know if there is a perfect setup at the moment I just take peoples word for it :) ill try the E string saddle to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks again Ed

That does sounds like a pretty standard relief setting for a Precision. If you measure your string height from top of 17th fret to bottom of E string what do you get? If it's around 2mm then I think your bass has been set up to Fender standard spec, so you might try raising the strings at the bridge slightly to compensate for your heavy playing style.