Why become a member? ×

New Strings incoming!

Conan

In my thirty or so years of playing bass I've only used about three brands of strings. I guess you could say that I've been happy with them, but in truth I haven't tried anything else!

I started on Rotosound 66's and when I got my Status (and wanted to sound like Mark King) I moved to Superwound Funkmasters. After a few years with them I got tired of the extra light gauge and wanted more tone. I moved onto Elites Stadium SS roundwounds and have used them ever since on the Status. I tend to use D'addario SS rounds on my other basses.

Anyway, yesterday I ordered a set of DR Lo-riders for my P-bass and would have got a set of Newtone Diamonds for my J - but they were sold out.

Really looking forward to trying these new brands and seeing the they offer any improvement on what I am used to! Especially as the DRs are quite a bit more expensive than either the Newtone's or the D'addarios.

Edited by Conan

I took a chance when I bought my Roto flats as I'd only ever used Rotos in any shape or form a couple of times - in fact it was a set of RS66s a couple of years ago and a set of Spacers in 1993. They were the first black coated string I'd ever seen and the black stuff flaked all over the place and looked like sh*t really quickly. very quickly turned a kind of patchy grey.

Oh aye- and I couldn't be happier with my choice

I have to say..I am getting more problems off new strings this past year than I ever have before.

I have a couple of sets of a well known brand..and I used them for years.. that really aren't up to the same standard as before.

The strings kink ( E and A string ) if you put them in for a clean-up, rolled-up...and I am not doing anything different than I have done for years

Edited by JTUK

I've had a couple of sets of DR Black beauties, and I'm not 100% sold on the whole coated string thing. I'm just going to stick to normals, but will be trying a set of DR's on my new stingray. However did try some Thomastik flats on a 62 Jazz this weekend and they felt pretty nice...