Why become a member? ×

Free SLAP BASSICS lessons on Youtube...

All thumbs

Hi y'all!

First post on here since the 'Richwood vs Warwick' bass poll lol!

I've just completed the first of a series of short youtube videos introducing folk the the SLAP BASS technique which I thought I'd share here :-)

I've never done anything like this before so I'd be really interested to know what you think of the way it's presented etc.

Here we go...

Lesson 1 - Overview of Slap Bass

Lesson 2 - Slap Pattern 1

Lesson 3 - Getting a clear Slap

Lesson 4 - Slap Pattern 2

Lesson 5 - Hammer-ons & Pull-offs

Cheers,
Scott.

Edited by All thumbs

[quote name='All thumbs' post='1262802' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:25 PM']Hi y'all!

First post on here since the 'Richwood vs Warwick' bass poll lol!

I've just completed the first of a series of short youtube videos introducing folk the the SLAP BASS technique which I thought I'd share here :-)

I've never done anything like this before so I'd be really interested to know what you think of the way it's presented etc.

Here we go - [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GObmwIYwnMQ"]Slap Bassics by Scott Whitley - Lesson 1[/url]

Cheers,
Scott.[/quote]

Hi Scott,

Good luck with your videos. Watch out for the anti-slappists who don't seem to have found your thread yet :)

I had a look and my feedback would be to be more concise and to start playing sooner. You are gonna loose peeps interest if there is too much talking - low attention spans and all that. Also a closer camera shot of the hands would be better.

Cheers,

Jerry

[quote name='BottomE' post='1262875' date='Jun 9 2011, 04:29 PM']Hi Scott,

Good luck with your videos. Watch out for the anti-slappists who don't seem to have found your thread yet :)

I had a look and my feedback would be to be more concise and to start playing sooner. You are gonna loose peeps interest if there is too much talking - low attention spans and all that. Also a closer camera shot of the hands would be better.

Cheers,

Jerry[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback Jerry!

Lol at 'anti slappists' :-) Strange folk! Anyhow that's one of the barriers I want to break down with these vid's and help folks understand that slap is a way of playing a note - note a style or fashion accessory.

[quote name='jay249' post='1262915' date='Jun 9 2011, 04:53 PM']Cool looking guitar. I'm always surprised by how bass players in particular can be tempted by puns and wordplay[/quote]

Bass players using puns? On what BASSIS do you draw this conclusion?

...sorry!

1st lesson was great, look forward to checking out the rest! As a begginer of slap the "secret" was in the left hand slap as you said. You showing just how relatively slowly you can actually move your thumb was really encouraging! :)
Looking forward to being shown some cool licks, well done and thanks!

[quote name='skidder652003' post='1262934' date='Jun 9 2011, 05:13 PM']1st lesson was great, look forward to checking out the rest! As a begginer of slap the "secret" was in the left hand slap as you said. You showing just how relatively slowly you can actually move your thumb was really encouraging! :)
Looking forward to being shown some cool licks, well done and thanks![/quote]

No problem - thank YOU!

That Richwood sounds nice!

Videos are pretty good! Even "basic" slap is a very difficult thing to get across on a video, so I think you do a good job on that front. You maybe want to position your mic a bit closer to your mouth though, as there is quite a big volume difference between the bass and your voice - especially on the first video.

What strings do you use on the Richwood BTW?

[quote name='Conan' post='1263783' date='Jun 10 2011, 11:56 AM']That Richwood sounds nice!

Videos are pretty good! Even "basic" slap is a very difficult thing to get across on a video, so I think you do a good job on that front. You maybe want to position your mic a bit closer to your mouth though, as there is quite a big volume difference between the bass and your voice - especially on the first video.

What strings do you use on the Richwood BTW?[/quote]

Thanks for the comments!

The strings on the Richwood are Elites 35-95, but I normally use Rotosound Funkmaster 30-90 (not much difference).

Good quality vids. great playing and great tone!!! but i agree with the gent up the top, if i was using these lessons as a tool for my development id prefer a bit more playing, earlier on. Maybe leave each video with a really basic riff to learn befor ewatching the next one?
Hope you dont think of this as negative criticism, its like i said, i thought the vid/playing/tone was great throughout!

Scott

I am new to bass guitar and am interested in learning a bit of "slap" in the future. You explained things very clearly and I found the lessons very informative. I am looking forward to trying out the techniques and pattern set out in your lessons.

Thanks

Gazzer

[quote name='gazzer86' post='1268365' date='Jun 14 2011, 11:02 AM']Scott

I am new to bass guitar and am interested in learning a bit of "slap" in the future. You explained things very clearly and I found the lessons very informative. I am looking forward to trying out the techniques and pattern set out in your lessons.

Thanks

Gazzer[/quote]
Thanks Gazzer - I'll have more videos online soon too :-)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1294771' date='Jul 6 2011, 02:20 PM']A very brave post on this forum!

I have seen so many 'I hate slap' posts over the last few months :)

I have had a go and still can't do it (but will keep trying).

Just don't tell anyone else I am trying to slap![/quote]

Hey I'm just being me :-) Keep trying - building up from a very slow tempo gradually is the key. Takes lots of practice but is a great expressive tool once you've got it.

:-D

Excellent stuff Scott! - I just watched them all - very clear / concise and, as you said your were aiming to do, demistyfied the basic technique.

I hope you're going to keep going with these lessons - can't wait to see the intermediate/advanced series :)

[quote name='Andy' post='1295666' date='Jul 7 2011, 09:15 AM']Excellent stuff Scott! - I just watched them all - very clear / concise and, as you said your were aiming to do, demistyfied the basic technique.

I hope you're going to keep going with these lessons - can't wait to see the intermediate/advanced series :)[/quote]

Cheers Andy :-D