Why become a member? ×

What capacity Generator please?

yorks5stringer

We're playing a rather posh Wedding next weekend (a genuine albeit inherited Millionaire) and we will have electricity from a generator.

It's just a Jazz Trio thing(!) so my Little Mark Head and the Guitarist's Boogie Combo will be the only amplified backline, and we have a small powered 100 w monitor for the announcements.

I understand one has to build in a surge factor and I think the amp output is not the value one needs to calculate....can any one tell me what KV Generator is required to keep us powered up for 2 X 45 minute sets please?

You should be looking at wattage rather than KV. Look on the back of your equipment and get the quoted wattage of the input, this is usually on a sticker stating maximum power consumption with the voltage.

Add all the wattage figures together and add 20 to 30% for the surge.

Edited by Batfastard

Shame to spoil a posh wedding with a generator running in the background. Is there really no possibility of a mains supply from somewhere? With the relatively low power you seem to need I would expect you could run a couple of 50m extension cables without too much risk of significant voltage drop.

Or is the gig on some deserted tropical island paradise? :)