Why become a member? ×

What Recording S/ware - H/ware?

Oggy

Basschaters

I’m really getting into GarageBand on my Mac, (stuffing around with the effects and EQ) editing numbers that I record via a Zoom recorder at our band practice sessions. I’m now getting to a point where I want to do bit more and am looking for a few pointers on what Audio recording software and hardware other Basschaters use and why?

I’m not sure, that GarageBand is the way forward, I hear lots of other software being referred to on this site, and perhaps a different brand would be better?

Anyway it’d be interesting to get other Basschaters to let us (me) all know what they get up to on the recording side of things – some of the stuff I hear on this very site, done with imagination and low budget, has been really very good quality – how do you do it chaps? :)

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='1261221' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:17 PM']Basschaters

I’m really getting into GarageBand on my Mac, (stuffing around with the effects and EQ) editing numbers that I record via a Zoom recorder at our band practice sessions. I’m now getting to a point where I want to do bit more and am looking for a few pointers on what Audio recording software and hardware other Basschaters use and why?

I’m not sure, that GarageBand is the way forward, I hear lots of other software being referred to on this site, and perhaps a different brand would be better?

Anyway it’d be interesting to get other Basschaters to let us (me) all know what they get up to on the recording side of things – some of the stuff I hear on this very site, done with imagination and low budget, has been really very good quality – how do you do it chaps? :)

Oggy :)[/quote]

I'd say that seeing as you've already a Mac and played with Garageband.... have a look at Logic Express.... loads of features that integrate nicely with your existing system for about £60.

There are others and some are free too.... such as Audacity and Reaper....

I prefer Digital Performer for serious recording and use Logic also

[quote name='crez5150' post='1261244' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:39 PM']I'd say that seeing as you've already a Mac and played with Garageband.... have a look at Logic Express.... loads of features that integrate nicely with your existing system for about £60.

There are others and some are free too.... such as Audacity and Reaper....

I prefer Digital Performer for serious recording and use Logic also[/quote]

Hi crez5150

I'll have a look on the web at that 'Logic Express' software you mention - what would I do without Google?

What sort of hardware set up do you use? I'm thinking on the lines of something with +/- 8 inputs for separate instrument / vocal tracks.

I can see that now I'm Bass and Amp GAS free I'll be getting recording gear RGAS - Agggghhhh.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1261271' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:54 PM']Hi crez5150

I'll have a look on the web at that 'Logic Express' software you mention - what would I do without Google?

What sort of hardware set up do you use? I'm thinking on the lines of something with +/- 8 inputs for separate instrument / vocal tracks.

I can see that now I'm Bass and Amp GAS free I'll be getting recording gear RGAS - Agggghhhh.

GAS for studio equipment gets way more expensive than bass gear....

I exclusively use MOTU units. I have a mix of 828's and 896... I really like the MOTU equipment as it's rock solid and built extremely well
[url="http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio"]MOTU[/url]

[quote name='crez5150' post='1261283' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:58 PM']GAS for studio equipment gets way more expensive than bass gear....

I exclusively use MOTU units. I have a mix of 828's and 896... I really like the MOTU equipment as it's rock solid and built extremely well
[url="http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio"]MOTU[/url][/quote]

You’re not kidding – I’ve just been looking at USB Multi Channel Audio Interface hardware on the web – BIG buck$ :) .

Baring in mind that I’m as thick as two short ones when it comes to the quality / pricing on this stuff; does anyone have recommendations as to what to look out for on evilbay or the like – or perhaps something less up market that would give me USB connection and 4 i/p capacity? (Notice it's gone from 8 i/p down to 4 i/p, this is in the hope that it'd be priced more proportionally to the wallet)

Hiya,

i have a mobile Windows based solution.

[b]Hardware: Laptop running Windows 7 | Focusrite USB Saphire 6 Sound Card
Software Cubase 5.something[/b]

The above combination works well for me as i have been a Cubase head for years. I don't think its the most user friendly software package (DAW) available but it does everything at high quality and runs really well on an average laptop. I love it.

I use this solution for practising at home, recording rehearsals, recording gigs etc etc.

There is a lot of decent stuff out there these days.

Having just made the transition from Garageband to Logic Express, the real bonus is being able to use your old GarageBand files, including any sound packs you may have bought. Songs import over with all settings pretty much as they should be. Garageband is actually quite powerful once you start clocking a few workarounds that enable quite sophisticated things to be done, but I have to say that Logic Express is in a different league altogether in terms of flexibility and workflow automation. And I've only scratched the surface so far. Chuffed to bits with it.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1261502' date='Jun 8 2011, 05:39 PM']Having just made the transition from Garageband to Logic Express, the real bonus is being able to use your old GarageBand files, including any sound packs you may have bought. Songs import over with all settings pretty much as they should be. Garageband is actually quite powerful once you start clocking a few workarounds that enable quite sophisticated things to be done, but I have to say that Logic Express is in a different league altogether in terms of flexibility and workflow automation. And I've only scratched the surface so far. Chuffed to bits with it.[/quote]

The write up on the net and other user comments agree with you - looks like Logic Express could be on the cards.

Are you doing any recording straight into it (like in a studio) or are you transferring files from a portable device that you record onto? Not being nosey, well I am really but I want to get as much knowledge as to how these things are done before I go spending money and regretting it. I'm trying to get my head around it all so that I can make the best decision without it costing a fortune.

At the moment all I've done is transfer .WAV files from a Zoom H4n recorder onto GarageBand and manipulate them (balance / EQ / add effects and write them out as MP3's). I'd like to be able to record the band a wee bit better i.e. separate tracks for Guitar, Bass, Drums and Vocal, the idea being that each track could then be manipulated in isolation to the others then all mixed / balanced etc etc to produce a better sound overall - I'm just really not sure of the best way to go about it.

Thinking about it, I think I'm after a portable recording device that I can take to gigs or practice sessions, record the band as described above (separate tracks for each instrument / vox) then take the files of the device in a format that I can transfer in 'one multiple track lump' and have them appear in GarageBand, Logic Express or some recording software so that I can tidy them up and produce a better sounding finished song.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1261766' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:26 PM']Are you doing any recording straight into it (like in a studio) or are you transferring files from a portable device that you record onto? Not being nosey, well I am really but I want to get as much knowledge as to how these things are done before I go spending money and regretting it. I'm trying to get my head around it all so that I can make the best decision without it costing a fortune.
I've done both Oggy. We generally record onto a Korg D888 8-track digital recorder, and then just drag and drop the WAV files into Logic. 4 mics on the kit - a Rode NT4 stereo for the overhead, a CAD m179 placed to reinforce the snare and hi-hat, and an AKG D112 for the bass drum. Other instruments are either mic'd or go straight in. It seems to work.

We have also built things up in parts and with overdubs going straight into Logic Express via a USB device – a simple but great sounding stereo Tascam US-122 Audio/midi module. Either way works though. If you like I can dig out an example of each method and that would give you an idea of what's possible.

Im thinking the Zoom R16 is something you need. Even though and this is something i wonder myself, because it usb, and im under the impression that with usb you cant record nultiple tracks in the one go. So whats the point in having multiple input usb interfaces. Or can you record multiple tracks with usb now.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' post='1261899' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:30 PM']I've done both Oggy. We generally record onto a Korg D888 8-track digital recorder, and then just drag and drop the WAV files into Logic. 4 mics on the kit - a Rode NT4 stereo for the overhead, a CAD m179 placed to reinforce the snare and hi-hat, and an AKG D112 for the bass drum. Other instruments are either mic'd or go straight in. It seems to work.

We have also built things up in parts and with overdubs going straight into Logic Express via a USB device – a simple but great sounding stereo Tascam US-122 Audio/midi module. Either way works though. If you like I can dig out an example of each method and that would give you an idea of what's possible.[/quote]

I'll have to start looking at all the equipment you mention - Agghh. From what you've said it sounds as though the Korg 8-track digital recorder would be the way forward (expensive ??) for what I'd want to do, being able to overdub directly into the audio software would also be very handy - for those 'minor corrections' :) .

Some examples would be great, I'll bet it's not only me that would be interested.

Thanks Shergold.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1261910' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:33 PM']Im thinking the Zoom R16 is something you need. Even though and this is something i wonder myself, because it usb, and im under the impression that with usb you cant record nultiple tracks in the one go. So whats the point in having multiple input usb interfaces. Or can you record multiple tracks with usb now.[/quote]

You're asking questions I'd also like answers to - looks like we're both in the same boat.

How can you tell a multi input recorder, when it's plugged into the computer via a USB port, what track to record onto??? :) - beats the @*%t out of me. must be do-able I suppose. Let's hope someone enlightens us both.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1261959' date='Jun 8 2011, 09:59 PM']You're asking questions I'd also like answers to - looks like we're both in the same boat.

How can you tell a multi input recorder, when it's plugged into the computer via a USB port, what track to record onto??? :) - beats the @*%t out of me. must be do-able I suppose. Let's hope someone enlightens us both.

Depending on the software.... each channel strip on screen allows you to select which input/output from the connected hardware.... then it's just a case of activating the record function... like a tape recorder

Hiya. I use the full version of Logic and would definitely recommend it. However, as you're just starting out then Logic Express would be the perfect solution!

As for hardware, I personally use a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40. I'd highly recommend it and it would suit what you want, however if you want to save then perhaps consider one of the cheaper models in the Saffire Pro range :)

Alternatively a MOTU or an M-Box would be suitable.

Loads of interesing solutions and advice given on this subject so far, thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply, it's going to take a wee bit of time to get to grips with it all.

Thinking about all this last night in bed - as you do :lol: .

Eureka, I’m pretty certain that I know what I’m looking for now on the Hardware front – probably doesn’t exist but here goes (enlighten me please).

[b]Portable recorder (Main Basic Features)[/b]

4 – 8 inputs (vox mic. / guitar / drums etc.)

Volume knob / slider for each input with indicator to control / monitor input level, just so you know that it's recording and not cliping.

Each individual input track recorder as separate .WAV file onto memory card in unit.

USB interface from unit to computer that would allow pick up and drop of individual track .WAV files from memory card in unit to either a ‘project folder’ on the computer or direct drop into timeline track in Audio software program the on computer.

Effects, mixing facility, playback, monitoring – who cares, could do all that stuff in the Audio software program on the computer, I think - perhaps / maybe?

Power – Mains, batteries, PSU brick, steam :) – who cares.

So, it’s [b]not a portable recording studio[/b], it’s a multi track portable recording device without all the software bells and whistles - they exist in the Audio editing computer program.

Any ideas??

I can't think of any that actually work as a standalone unit and will store on the device, so you'd need to be using it in conjunction with a computer.

But, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40.

Very good and flexible. It is firewire rather than USB though.

OK here goes with some examples.
[b]First track[/b] recorded live in a rehearsal room with all the attendant spill, and with an ibo percussion track overdub. Recorded on a Korg D888, dropped into Garageband without any prior processing on the Korg and taken from there. The percussion went through the Tascam via a Rode NT4. I should add that we are a band that improvises without preparation so you have been warned. :)

[url="http://idisk.mac.com/ianhalstead/Public/FoB/The-Price-of-Vincent.mp3"]The Price of Vincent[/url]

[b]The second track.[/b] The core of this was recorded on the Korg, with a few overdubs done later via the Tascam, rather than the single overdub as in the track above. This was all brought into Logic Express and taken from there.

[url="http://idisk.mac.com/ianhalstead/Public/FoB/The-Lone-Stranger.mp3"]The Lone Stranger[/url]

Edited by ShergoldSnickers

" Even though and this is something i wonder myself, because it usb, and im under the impression that with usb you cant record nultiple tracks in the one go. So whats the point in having multiple input usb interfaces. Or can you record multiple tracks with usb now."

Can i just ask this again and i dont mean to hijack your thread Oggy. Its just i can buy an 8 channel usb interface right now if i knew. And i reckon its helpful bit of info to know so you dont have to buy anything you dont have too.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1261221' date='Jun 8 2011, 02:17 PM']Basschaters

I say go back to the basics!

Garry

plus one for 51mon's suggestion of reaper. It's not free but is a fraction of the cost of any other daw i've used. It doesn't do everything viat some of the 'big boys' do, but is very good for most things. If you're running on a mac then i'd in for firewire over usb anyday. The MOTU stuff is rock solid in every sense of the word. I'm still using an old (10 years probably) motu 828 mark one which does 8 tracks simultaneously without any hiccups. Give also had great results with the sapphire pro that someone else mentioned. I've seen the same motu as mine go for about £150 on the bay, so should be able to get one for less than the price of a digital multitrack unit if you're that way inclined.

[quote name='Oggy' post='1262357' date='Jun 9 2011, 10:01 AM']Loads of interesing solutions and advice given on this subject so far, thanks to everyone who's taken the time to reply, it's going to take a wee bit of time to get to grips with it all.

Thinking about all this last night in bed - as you do :lol: .

Eureka, I’m pretty certain that I know what I’m looking for now on the Hardware front – probably doesn’t exist but here goes (enlighten me please).

[b]Portable recorder (Main Basic Features)[/b]

4 – 8 inputs (vox mic. / guitar / drums etc.)

Volume knob / slider for each input with indicator to control / monitor input level, just so you know that it's recording and not cliping.

Each individual input track recorder as separate .WAV file onto memory card in unit.

USB interface from unit to computer that would allow pick up and drop of individual track .WAV files from memory card in unit to either a ‘project folder’ on the computer or direct drop into timeline track in Audio software program the on computer.

Effects, mixing facility, playback, monitoring – who cares, could do all that stuff in the Audio software program on the computer, I think - perhaps / maybe?

Power – Mains, batteries, PSU brick, steam :) – who cares.

So, it’s [b]not a portable recording studio[/b], it’s a multi track portable recording device without all the software bells and whistles - they exist in the Audio editing computer program.

Any ideas??

Easy a [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/r16/"]Zoom R16[/url] or [url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/r24/"]R24[/url]

Ticks all your boxes.

[quote name='fatgoogle' post='1263320' date='Jun 9 2011, 09:39 PM']" Even though and this is something i wonder myself, because it usb, and im under the impression that with usb you cant record nultiple tracks in the one go. So whats the point in having multiple input usb interfaces. Or can you record multiple tracks with usb now."[/quote]
You can record multiple tracks, and always have been able to. There is no limit on the amount of channels.

All that limits a USB connection is the bandwidth, which is 400mbps I believe.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1263600' date='Jun 10 2011, 08:59 AM']You can record multiple tracks, and always have been able to. There is no limit on the amount of channels.

All that limits a USB connection is the bandwidth, which is 400mbps I believe.[/quote]

No not true, USB suffers in the same way as PATA harddrive drive interfaces in that it requires some CPU and that can become an issue when you start pushing (under certain circumstances not very) hard and you get close to the limit of bandwidth when the CPU is busy.