Why become a member? ×

Aerodyne Jazz Bass - discuss

obbm

I used to own a black export version (no scratchplate, not the Japan-only with scratchplates which are nicer IMHO). Didn't keep it long-as Finn says, the arched top and bound edges aren't terribly comfortable, I didn't get on with the shape either-but that applies to Jazz basses in general. Mine I admit was a not-too-pristine Ebay example but it just didn't give me the horn. They do look nice, but I'd prefer it without the binding.

[quote name='johnnylager' post='145338' date='Feb 22 2008, 09:26 PM'][url="http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?f=data_fender_japan_new_guitars&a=4"]http://www.guitaremporium.co.uk/index.php?...guitars&a=4[/url] and scroll to the Fender Japan non-export Aerodyne. Looks sweet & doesn't look bound. Or can't I see it...[/quote]

It is bound and if ordered before 27 Feb, there's 20% discount - see Forum 'Special Offers and Competitions'

Having seen both threads, I'm amazed how some like 'em and some don't. Mine is a black, no scratch plate (is that export or not?).

It is now my main bass for my covers band because as well as feeling good, it has a great variation in tone because of the P & J pickups. I play with a pick and a bright tone, and the pickups are great. My only problem experienced with it is that I had to have extra shielding put in because of the earth hum, which was noticeable when recording in to my home studio.

Other than, I'm really pleased with my Aerodyne!

Hi OB,

I got mine off of ebay from this guy in the USA, thomasldh copy his name and paste it into ebay.

I first saw these about 18 months ago and had to have one!! for the look alone.... I should point out that I am not really a bassist and I only started playing 2 years ago (wife said it was a mid life crisis) so anything I put round my neck feels like a scaffold board!!! but for looks I would rather have the Aerodyne round my neck than my USA Precision.

Would be happy for you to have a bash on it if your ever in Watford.

[quote name='originalfunster' post='146073' date='Feb 24 2008, 04:35 PM']Hi OB,

I got mine off of ebay from this guy in the USA, thomasldh copy his name and paste it into ebay.

I first saw these about 18 months ago and had to have one!! for the look alone.... I should point out that I am not really a bassist and I only started playing 2 years ago (wife said it was a mid life crisis) so anything I put round my neck feels like a scaffold board!!! but for looks I would rather have the Aerodyne round my neck than my USA Precision.

Would be happy for you to have a bash on it if your ever in Watford.[/quote]

Thanks for your comments.

The reason for the post was to try and judge reaction as I'd bought one from a friend to help out his need for cash. It's now in the For Sale section. Like most things reaction falls into two camps. Love or hate.

I have had a play with it and as you say it has a great neck. I need to try it through my rig to see about the pick-ups but using headphones it had a very wide tone range. Probably killer with some Wizards. The slab front doesn't bother me as my Ray is like that and my style is such that my forearm is not pressed into the bass so that wouldn't be a problem. I only bought is as a favour and I can't really justify keeping it. The finish is so good that I would be terrified of dinging it the first time out.