Why become a member? ×

SX configuration opinions.

paul h

I'm planning my next SX and I am torn between two options.

I definitely want this neck...

And I want it on a 3TS jazz. The question is, do I go for a black scratchplate to get a sunburst Marcus Miller vibe, or do I go tort so it matches my P bass?

If I go black I will get this one and have to get a plate and modify it. So that will cost about an extra £15/£18 and a bit of time. My Dremmel is currently knackered, so at worst I might even have to spend some dosh on a new one!

Or for $20 more I can get this one. Replete with tort plate and ashtrays.

The tort option will work out a fraction cheaper and be easier with just the neck to swap. The black plate would invlove a bit of work on my part but would look cool.

Has anyone got a pic of a 3TS/Tort/maple+blocks jazz to help me decide?

Cheers.

Paul.

re-posted from incorrect thread

Hi Guys

I know there are a few threads jumping around about SX basses but I wanna know from you guys that have customized your SX instruments which products you have used....

I have just taken delivery of a 5 string JAZZ Frettted and also a fretless. Now I'm quite impressed by the actual quality considering the value of these items however I feel there are things
that let them down.

The Bridge.... chunky enough but its a bit er... open... I prefer the more chunky bridges so any suggestions from those who have changed this bit of hardware

The same goes for the Tuners.... they are ok but could be better

Any advice on the pick-ups also

many thanks for your advice

Jay

My SX is stock apart from the scratchplate which I got from AxesRus and Dremmeled into submission so I can't really help. I am sure an SX modder will be around shortly with some words of wisdom!

Anyhoo...I saw a picture of this today over on TB and it's exactly what I'm after. I emailed Kurt and they won't have stock until later this spring but I reckon it's worth waiting for.

I guessed at a possible URL for it and there it was. (Rondo doesn't remove the out of stock product pages, just stops linking to them)

[url="http://rondomusic.com/sjb753ts.html"]http://rondomusic.com/sjb753ts.html[/url]

P.

Hiyah
Bridges - I've fitted the Gotoh 203 fender-alike. Not strung it up since as it's in bass hospital under the knife (or router) for its active electrics ..
But the bridge is a lot more substantial than the original SX one or the vintage Fender replacement mine came with. Others have fitted Gotoh 201's which are more chunky.
Not sure about 5 string uptions.

Pups .. Talk to Rich :)

The SX pups seem fine (on the Jazz I had) my SX P was already customised in that department.
Tuners seem Ok ...

Starting out I'd change just the bridge and see how it feels from there.
The strings are even Ok (probably the same as Roberts yellows)

OG

I used a Bench press drill & a gotoh bridge & made my SX P a string-thru body!! Worked great-did it 20 months ago & no issues so far. In fact neck is straight as....sound darn good too!! Has Ibanez Blazer bass '80's pups in it, Red body w/white pup covers & white pearl guard. Flats on it too. Sounds GOOOD!!

[quote name='rodl2005' post='148784' date='Feb 29 2008, 08:46 AM']I used a Bench press drill & a gotoh bridge & made my SX P a string-thru body!! Worked great-did it 20 months ago & no issues so far. In fact neck is straight as....sound darn good too!! Has Ibanez Blazer bass '80's pups in it, Red body w/white pup covers & white pearl guard. Flats on it too. Sounds GOOOD!![/quote]

I guess that's the thing - the basic chassis - body, woods and neck - is fine so you can fit whatever pups, bridge, etc that you want and it won't be too much like pimping your mum's Micra ...

[quote name='OldGit' post='147865' date='Feb 27 2008, 02:44 PM']Hiyah
Bridges - I've fitted the Gotoh 203 fender-alike. Not strung it up since as it's in bass hospital under the knife (or router) for its active electrics ..
But the bridge is a lot more substantial than the original SX one or the vintage Fender replacement mine came with. Others have fitted Gotoh 201's which are more chunky.
Not sure about 5 string uptions.

Pups .. Talk to Rich :)[/quote]
Bridge-wise, I went for [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130175608892&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=130104603117&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&usedrule2=CrossSell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget&_trksid=p284.m183&_trkparms=algo%3DDR%26its%3DS%252BI%252BSS%26itu%3DISS%252BUCI%252BSI%26otn%3D3"]one of these[/url] for my fretless Yam 5... it's built like a tank, everything locks down rock solid. Great bridge for 20 quid or so, thanks to the exchange rate. Be aware though that the screw holes will not line up & you'd need to drill new ones... the ones on this bridge are off-centre, y'see.
Got my eye on some new pups at the moment... wait 'n' see :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

My SX has nothing under the pups and when I press a little to firmly with my thumb they move up and down on the springs. Anyone suggest what (and where) I can get "the correct " stuff to stop this happening. I remember years ago my Fender bass had like a little flat piece of brassy looking metal with some hard black sponge stuff stuck to it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also do any of you other SX players have the same problem?

[quote name='Freuds_Cat' post='155668' date='Mar 12 2008, 12:01 AM']My SX has nothing under the pups and when I press a little to firmly with my thumb they move up and down on the springs. Anyone suggest what (and where) I can get "the correct " stuff to stop this happening. I remember years ago my Fender bass had like a little flat piece of brassy looking metal with some hard black sponge stuff stuck to it. Anyone got any suggestions?

Also do any of you other SX players have the same problem?[/quote]

The metal part may have been a ground plate to reduce the noise of the pickups, but it sounds like you're in need of some mounting foam as seen here -

You can buy some at most online bass shops, I think basspartsresource is your best bet as they ship worldwide for pennies!

Hope this helps,

Danny

[quote name='610*c' post='161169' date='Mar 20 2008, 10:44 PM']I used an old sanding block [you know the spongey ones] for under the quarter pounder on my p bass, i just carved it up with a stanley to the right dimensions and three years later its still there doing a grand job.[/quote]

Yeah any old medium density foam will do it ...

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='161297' date='Mar 21 2008, 07:52 PM']Yeah any old medium density foam will do it ...[/quote]

Ironically the next day after this post 12 Neoprene mats for the bottom of transport cubes arrived at work and the boss told me to take one when I told him that they were exactly what I was looking for. Apparently we use 10 cubes a night to send out to regional centres and the smallest order he could get was 12.
They were even the exact right height. Right place at the right time I guess. :)

Edited by Freuds_Cat