Why become a member? ×

Credit where ir's due

Bilbo

I'd have liked to have heard a bit more space, say about five minutes at the end :)

For some balance, I should at this point say I do like some of his Joni stuff. I'd open the curtains for that...well, maybe one :)

Yeah Bremen, agree completely. Understatement. First time that word's been used in this discussion - a much underrated talent. :lol:

Edited by Muzz

just spent the last 10 minutes trying to get the 2nd harmonics on the birdland intro ... Still need a bit more practice :) Would love to know how he gets so much sustain out of the notes though.

Heres a youtube link for those who dont know it

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU[/url]

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1263980' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:45 PM']just spent the last 10 minutes trying to get the 2nd harmonics on the birdland intro ... Still need a bit more practice :) Would love to know how he gets so much sustain out of the notes though.[/quote]

He used a compressor, said Tone neatly joining together two threads. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139947"]No technique, apparently[/url].

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1263980' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:45 PM']just spent the last 10 minutes trying to get the 2nd harmonics on the birdland intro ... Still need a bit more practice :) Would love to know how he gets so much sustain out of the notes though.

Heres a youtube link for those who dont know it

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQDfMqLlFPU[/url][/quote]

Not too difficult (he said arrogantly)... just watch where he puts his thumb to get the forced harmonic from the 14th position A, in each case about 1cm forward of the pickup poles. 1st octave from near neck pickup, second from bridge. There's a 5th harmonic between the two of course. I'm finding my right hand "flamenco" fingernails make it easier btw although I am wearing holes in them through doing it!

ficelles

[quote name='toneknob' post='1264016' date='Jun 10 2011, 03:19 PM']He used a compressor, said Tone neatly joining together two threads. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=139947"]No technique, apparently[/url].[/quote]
Are you sure about that?
I've read loads about Jaco's equipment & effects & have never seen a compressor mentioned before.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1264034' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:34 PM']Not too difficult (he said arrogantly)... just watch where he puts his thumb to get the forced harmonic from the 14th position A, in each case about 1cm forward of the pickup poles. 1st octave from near neck pickup, second from bridge. There's a 5th harmonic between the two of course. I'm finding my right hand "flamenco" fingernails make it easier btw although I am wearing holes in them through doing it!

ficelles[/quote]

yh iv found now that i was trying to "pinch" (not sure if thats the right term for the technique) the harmonic with too much force, but if you do it with the gentle touch it rings more clearly. A compressor or sustain pedal would probably help to keep the volume up though

[quote name='blackmn90' post='1264047' date='Jun 10 2011, 03:42 PM']yh iv found now that i was trying to "pinch" (not sure if thats the right term for the technique) the harmonic with too much force, but if you do it with the gentle touch it rings more clearly. A compressor or sustain pedal would probably help to keep the volume up though[/quote]

Perhaps I should have mentioned I was doing it on a Jazz defret through a TL Audio FAT-2 valve compressor :)

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1264034' date='Jun 10 2011, 03:34 PM']Not too difficult (he said arrogantly)... just watch where he puts his thumb to get the forced harmonic from the 14th position A, in each case about 1cm forward of the pickup poles. 1st octave from near neck pickup, second from bridge. There's a 5th harmonic between the two of course. I'm finding my right hand "flamenco" fingernails make it easier btw although I am wearing holes in them through doing it!

ficelles[/quote]

Your first 'false' harmonic is always halfway between your fretting hand and the bridge (usually 12 frets above your fretting hand) and then divided along the string at the same nodes as per the open string (7th, 5th, 4th and 3rd frets and the same distances from thw bridge at the other end. In a nutshell, the point where you put your thumb moves up and down as your left hand moves up and down.

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1264089' date='Jun 10 2011, 04:18 PM']Your first 'false' harmonic is always halfway between your fretting hand and the bridge (usually 12 frets above your fretting hand) and then divided along the string at the same nodes as per the open string (7th, 5th, 4th and 3rd frets and the same distances from thw bridge at the other end. In a nutshell, the point where you put your thumb moves up and down as your left hand moves up and down.[/quote]

Exactly, but for that particular piece on a Jazz the pickups are ideally placed for reference.

Incidentally - and I know this is sad - I've been playing that intro on my acoustic upright this afternoon. Not quite so easy!

ficelles

[quote name='Pete Academy' post='1263114' date='Jun 9 2011, 07:24 PM']Jeff Berlin once said that he doesn't play fretless because everyone just ends up sounding like Jaco.[/quote]
I play loads of fretless and I don't sound like Jaco. It's mainly because I'm sh*t. :)

[quote name='Mcgiver69' post='1263894' date='Jun 10 2011, 01:28 PM']The Jaco I learned to love is Jaco the groove player, he's like a hyperactive child [b]running up and down filling every hole left by the other musicians in the band[/b].[/quote]
This sums up Jaco for me, but it's the reason I struggle with him a bit. I love a bit (or maybe even a lot) of space in music. He always seemed to be treading a very fine line between supplementing the song and overpowering it. It's very easy to identify a song with Jaco playing on it, and it's often because his distinctive tone is ploughing through everything else as he fills up all the gaps.