Why become a member? ×

Rehearsal Recording

TheBear

Hi Guys,

I'm sure this question has been raised already, so amy apologizes if this is a duplicate.

I'm looking for a quick an easy Digital recorder to record the rehearsal and be able to evaluate how bad I destroyed the songs and therefore I need your help on which device to look atfer.

Band: Drums / rythm guitar , Solo guitar, 3 voices (2 lead male+female, 1 back male), and of course my bass.

I've seen devices such as Tascam DR07 and I'm looking for "experience" feedback from you guys. I'm completly open to brand & model :) as long as I can record with a good enough quality to be able to 1/ hear the bass 2/ evaluate my playing.

Thanks,

Cheers
Chris

I asked a similar question in a thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136069"]here[/url], and got the answer of a Zoom-h1. Haven't had a chance to use it at a rehearsal yet due to exams, but just experimenting with it at home the quality is great, check out the youtube vids.

[quote name='ZMech' post='1258089' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:19 AM']I asked a similar question in a thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=136069"]here[/url], and got the answer of a Zoom-h1. Haven't had a chance to use it at a rehearsal yet due to exams, but just experimenting with it at home the quality is great, check out the youtube vids.[/quote]

the Zoom looks good indeed. Has anyone used it in a rehearsal ? (volume is way louder. so I'm curious)

cheers.
Chris

[quote name='TheBear' post='1258122' date='Jun 6 2011, 10:08 AM']the Zoom looks good indeed. Has anyone used it in a rehearsal ? (volume is way louder. so I'm curious)[/quote]
I use my Zoom H2 in rehearsals that any normal person would describe as "punishing" in terms of volume (doom, innit). It's happy, as long as the mic gain is set to Low.

Hi Chris

Recently got 'aquired' a Zoom H4n, bit on the pricy side but great results so far. If one of the external mic's finds itself close to your amp you''ll sure hear that bass on playback :) .

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/"]Zoom H4n[/url]

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='1258341' date='Jun 6 2011, 02:29 PM']Hi Chris

Recently got 'aquired' a Zoom H4n, bit on the pricy side but great results so far. If one of the external mic's finds itself close to your amp you''ll sure hear that bass on playback :) .

[url="http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4n/"]Zoom H4n[/url]

Oggy :)[/quote]

I've just bought a Zoom H2. I was initially moving to the H1, but when I counted H1+ accessories kit (the Charger), the H2 became way more interesting.
I'll test thursday in rehearsal, I'll let you know :lol:

Should make you happy. As mentioned above, keep the recording level down. It produces a very clean recording so you can boost it up if the level is too quiet but you can't undo clipping if the level is too loud. The recording indicator light will flash if you clip so that is something to watch for.

Also, remember that you have to press the record button twice, once to "arm" the device and a second time to actually start the recording. I've missed out on a few gigs and rehearsals because I forgot the second press!

Wulf

I bought the H2 a couple of months ago, bloody good piece of kit for the money. Really easy to set up and use, LCD display is a little small though. I just put it in the middle of the rehearsal room using the mic stand adapter that came with it and it pics up all instruments really well. Just play with the recording levels to suit the level of your band. The batteries last a 3 hour session no problem.

You have made a good purchase, hope you enjoy it as much as I do :)

Jas

[quote name='TheBear' post='1258474' date='Jun 6 2011, 03:31 PM']I've just bought a Zoom H2. I was initially moving to the H1, but when I counted H1+ accessories kit (the Charger), the H2 became way more interesting.
I'll test thursday in rehearsal, I'll let you know :)[/quote]

I recently acquired a Tascam DR07mk2 for other purposes, but have taken it along to band rehearsals for the last couple of weeks.

I'm really impressed with it, and in particular how well it picks up my bass. The over all sound is clear and detailed, with good separation between instruments. The bass really does sound good on the recordings, and that was just dumping the recorder on top of my gig bag on the floor.

Lovely bit of kit.

Hi There,

I tested it yesterday in rehearsal.. so here my first impressions:

- The Zoom H2 is a bit cheap at unpacking. The thing costs about 170Euros, I would have preferred a little less "low quality plastic feeling"
- The menu / navigation are very decent, no remark here.

Test in rehearsal:
- Installation, getting, ready & recording control: perfect.

Due to me lacking a big SD card, I had to record in MP3 and I probably picked up a wrong format, the compression is extremely damaging in my case, so to re-check next week.

However, even compressed, I've been extremely surprised to hear what's been picked up.I'm very confident about the quality once in WAV (8Gb SD on its way :-))

When I tested the device at home, I'm been positivly impressed by the micros sensitivity & the sound quality

all in all : a good choice for me so far. (I wanted a quick way to record, without wasting the rehearsal time with recording consideration, and job done!)

Edited by TheBear

[quote name='TheBear' post='1263699' date='Jun 10 2011, 10:38 AM']Hi There,

I tested it yesterday in rehearsal.. so here my first impressions:

- The Zoom H2 a bit cheap at unpacking. The thing costs about 170Euros, I would have prefer a little less "low quality plastic feeling"
- The menu / navigation are very decent, no remark here.

Test in rehearsal:
- Installation, getting, ready & recording control: perfect.

Due to the lack of big SD card, I had to record in MP3 and I probably picked up a wrong format, the compression is extremly damaging in my case, so to check next week.

However, even compressed, I've been extremly surprised to hear what's been picked up.I'm very confident about the quality once in WAV (8Gb CD on its way :-))

When I tested the device at home, I'm been positivly impressed by the micros sensitivity & the sound quality

all in all : a good choice for me so far. (I wanted a qucik way to record, without wasting the rehearsal time with recording consideration, and job done!)[/quote]
I agree about the casing... it does feel cheap.

FWIW, I usually record at 320kbps, and I can't really hear much in the way of compression. Nothing blindingly obvious, anyway.

I've used the H1 on 192kbps and again no compression issues to worry about. If it was more important, I'd probably got for higher quality, but there's nothing bad enough in 192 to justify anything more for rehearsals.

All in all, it's a great piece of kit. Tripod's very useful though, to stop you squeezing the plastic case accidentally.

Edited by lanark

I think the default is 128 kbps - having been caught out with my H1 this way before :-) 320 kbps seems to be fine though..

[quote name='TheBear' post='1263905' date='Jun 10 2011, 01:37 PM']I must check the MP3 settings, but for sure it was way too compressed :)[/quote]

Hi Guys,

I tested it yesterday with a proper SD card.. one word WOW!
The quality of recording is way above my expectations. I would never have expected to get all the instruments whitout clipping

Just brilliant.

thanks for your advices,

Chris

192kbps is my default setting. The kind of problems I notice are bad positioning of the recorder (eg. right in front of the bass amp is not a balanced place) and if the overall sound in the room wasn't great but not compression artifacts. In fact, it often sounds clearer than it did at the time of the recording.

I love that I can record hours of stuff. I've sometimes forgotten to start the recording but, once started, have never run out of space partway through a session.

Wulf

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1282184' date='Jun 25 2011, 03:05 PM']Here's a song recorded on my Zoom H2 from last night's gig. It was loud, and the lows were very subby, but I think it's done a decent job...

[/quote]

Nice, Nice, Nice and very Nice :) - Loved it.

Oggy :)

[quote name='Oggy' post='1283159' date='Jun 26 2011, 05:43 PM']Nice, Nice, Nice and very Nice :) - Loved it.

Oggy :lol:[/quote]

My Missus just came in as I was sending my last reply - I said "you've just got to hear this, brilliant, something haunting and retro about it". She listened too the track and said "yes, I really like it; and I bet the singer is good looking :P " - please just tell me that he isn't :) .

Oggy :D

[quote name='Oggy' post='1283164' date='Jun 26 2011, 05:52 PM']My Missus just came in as I was sending my last reply - I said "you've just got to hear this, brilliant, something haunting and retro about it". She listened too the track and said "yes, I really like it; and I bet the singer is good looking :D " - please just tell me that he isn't :) .

Oggy :)[/quote]
Thanks, man!

Is Phil Good looking? I dunno... not for me to say. He's definitely in good nick for an old bloke. :lol:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=143175"]Here's some more clips with the H2.[/url]