Why become a member? ×

More fun on the eBay!

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260568' date='Jun 8 2011, 12:20 AM']Now this is an amusing diversion, I've just realised that the old 3" leather strap I have had kicking around since the late 70s / early 80s is a Music Man strap[/quote]
Any chance of an email from MM confirming that it's genuine? :)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1260621' date='Jun 8 2011, 01:45 AM']I'm fine with my uprights and my Jazz defret thanks.

£100 for an old strap? I am fascinated as to why MM gear has this kind of attraction, would an old Fender strap go for that much?

ficelles[/quote]
More! They are worse than us. It's all about Leo Fender in the bass world and I can be fairly certain Leo never touched your Jazz where there is good a possibility he did my Ray not that it makes one better than the other but as for collectabilty well that's another matter and not just created by me either, it's a worldwide phenomenon.

Any pics of this strap? :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260296' date='Jun 7 2011, 09:18 PM']There is nothing right about it and after speaking via eBay again to the seller it appears he now agrees and is going to look at re wording it later. The fact someone from Germany is interested worries me, Surely they are reading it as a pukka neck as cheap ray copies must be available easy enough over there?[/quote]

Having read all this thread I've just checked the ad, and now it reads:
[quote]THE NECK APPEARS TO BE KOSHER ON FIRST SIGHT BUT IT IS NOT[/quote]

(Btw, do I need to point out that I'm not the "mart" who's selling this bass? I hope not, but just in case: It ain't me babe. No, no, no, it ain't me babe.)

Edited by mart

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1260667' date='Jun 8 2011, 07:33 AM']Any pics of this strap? :)[/quote]

Here ya go... I think it might be headed for fleabay now I know it's collectable though. Kicking myself for having trimmed the narrow end a few years back...

ficelles

[attachment=82047:mmstrap1.jpg]
[attachment=82048:mmstrap2.jpg]
[attachment=82049:mmstrap3.jpg]
[attachment=82050:mmstrap4.jpg]

[quote name='mart' post='1260693' date='Jun 8 2011, 08:18 AM']Having read all this thread I've just checked the ad, and now it reads:

(Btw, do I need to point out that I'm not the "mart" who's selling this bass? I hope not, but just in case: It ain't me babe. No, no, no, it ain't me babe.)[/quote]

Thats all I was suggesting in the first place, Remember [i]I did [/i]email the seller before it got all hot in here yet the appears to be kosher remained.

Yep get the strap on the eBay ficelles, no idea what it will fetch though? If it were the yellow cotton one I would be all over it but leather aint my bag. Ta

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1261538' date='Jun 8 2011, 05:58 PM']Yep get the strap on the eBay ficelles, no idea what it will fetch though? If it were the yellow cotton one I would be all over it but leather aint my bag. Ta[/quote]

I'll stick it on for a tenner opening bid and offer international shipping, let's see if the madness starts :)

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1261543' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:05 PM']I'll stick it on for a tenner opening bid and offer international shipping, let's see if the madness starts :)

ficelles[/quote]

please report back the results.

this one looks nicer than the one I had seen previously. Good luck!

Has anyone considered that the seller might genuinely have received that email from EBMM, and that somebody at EBMM made a mistake or didn't give the pictures more than a cursory glance? It is unlikely that every individual employee of EBMM will be fully versed in the minor details of basses that may have been made long before they joined the company. Answering queries from people who are neither existing nor potential customers is probably not high on any companies list of priorities, so perhaps someone in the office at EBMM just had a quick look at the photo, sent a reply along the lines of "yeah, looks like one of ours", before going on to the next task?

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' post='1262147' date='Jun 9 2011, 12:08 AM']Has anyone considered that the seller might genuinely have received that email from EBMM, and that somebody at EBMM made a mistake or didn't give the pictures more than a cursory glance? It is unlikely that every individual employee of EBMM will be fully versed in the minor details of basses that may have been made long before they joined the company. Answering queries from people who are neither existing nor potential customers is probably not high on any companies list of priorities, so perhaps someone in the office at EBMM just had a quick look at the photo, sent a reply along the lines of "yeah, looks like one of ours", before going on to the next task?[/quote]

This still going?

Look no one now thinks the seller was trying to rip anyone off and has now reworded the listing to suit although it took some persuasion and a list of 15 or so facts why it isn't real to convince the seller and his mate on here that it is fake. I never had an issue with there being an email or not which is why I never asked to see it like others did. A quick glance would prove it not to be theirs as it doesn't have Ernie ball written on it does it? More likely they said it looks like one (it does) but as it's (possibly) pre EB we don't know or care also the body and everything bolted to it are fake though.

Sorted anyway now though :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

Yeah, fair enough, Pete, and the input of MM collectors is probably useful in this case. I just found a few of the responses in this thread a bit ugly considering that the guy appears to have been going on the information he had available and has been willing to alter the listing as new information came to his attention.

[quote name='ficelles' post='1262198' date='Jun 9 2011, 01:27 AM']You don't believe in defending your friends? Ah well...

ficelles[/quote]

Of course I do. But not with stupid statements like that. I doubt for a minute the big boy words came across well or showed you in any good light little buddy.

All in all I think it may have given us all a little chuckle at your expense :)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1262198' date='Jun 9 2011, 01:27 AM']You don't believe in defending your friends? Ah well...

ficelles[/quote]
I think your friend could probably do without you attemping to defend him. I wonder whether you can see that you weren't very successful in defending how he had incorrectly listed his bass and managed make you yourself look a little foolish in the process.

A more successful approach would probably have been to have introduced yourself into the conversation as someone with personal knowledge of the seller and the bass in question and state the facts as you see them along with your opinions of its authenticity in a calm and reasoned manner. Such a post would certainly have made me more willing to give your friend the benefit of doubt about whether the inclusion of incorrect information in the listing was wilful or not.

Instead you put on a lame hardman act, belittled people who gave the benefit of their knowedge and experience by referring to them as "self-styled experts" and incorrectly threw around false allegations of possible libel - all whilst admitting that you know nothing about the instrument in question and being incapable of providing any evidence to back up your position that the questionable information was correct other than vague unquoted hearsay and wishful thinking.

If I had acted in such manner (we all have an off-day and make a fool of ourselves ocassionally) and realised I was totally out of order, I would have apologised to the people concerned, but I have no such expectation from you.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1263203' date='Jun 9 2011, 08:18 PM']I quite like the term self styled expert as it gives me a get out if I get stuff wrong :)[/quote]

Now come on, you've already taken the label of obsessive hoarder, you can't be both!

ficelles

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1263179' date='Jun 9 2011, 08:04 PM']A more successful approach would probably have been to have introduced yourself into the conversation as someone with personal knowledge of the seller and the bass in question and state the facts as you see them along with your opinions of its authenticity in a calm and reasoned manner. Such a post would certainly have made me more willing to give your friend the benefit of doubt about whether the inclusion of incorrect information in the listing was wilful or not.

Instead you put on a lame hardman act, belittled people who gave the benefit of their knowedge and experience by referring to them as "self-styled experts" and incorrectly threw around false allegations of possible libel - all whilst admitting that you know nothing about the instrument in question and being incapable of providing any evidence to back up your position that the questionable information was correct other than vague unquoted hearsay and wishful thinking.[/quote]

All that's missing here is Jack Regan saying "You're nicked".

[quote name='Big_Stu' post='1263246' date='Jun 9 2011, 08:47 PM']All that's missing here is Jack Regan saying "You're nicked".[/quote]

I couldn't even be bothered to read all that stuff you quoted... I were defending my mate, stood my ground, vanquished all, crushed my enemies and now use their sorry skulls as candle-holders. Oh and my Jazz bass, I pulled it from a rock near Glastonbury Tor.

Other than that, I should maybe mention I am not entirely devoid of knowledge on the subject of Internet Libel. Not a challenge of course :)

But I forget, spoke to Big Mart earlier and he has found the name & address of the original seller, the one who faked up the item in question in the first place! So who wants to know?

ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1263255' date='Jun 9 2011, 08:54 PM']I couldn't even be bothered to read all that stuff you quoted... I were defending my mate, stood my ground, vanquished all, crushed my enemies and now use their sorry skulls as candle-holders. Oh and my Jazz bass, I pulled it from a rock near Glastonbury Tor.

Other than that, I should maybe mention I am not entirely devoid of knowledge on the subject of Internet Libel. Not a challenge of course :)

But I forget, spoke to Big Mart earlier and he has found the name & address of the original seller, the one who faked up the item in question in the first place! So who wants to know?

ficelles[/quote]

who wants to know what Conan?