Why become a member? ×

More fun on the eBay!

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MusicMan-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-/160597627232?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item25645d5160"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MusicMan-Stingray-Ba...=item25645d5160[/url]

Active to passive conversion, What about rip off merchant instead? If he bought that as a genuine Ray I will eat my hat :)

Nothing is music man mate at all! Even the logo is wrong unless it was from a pre EB neck if so where is the skunk stripe? where is the wheel of fortune? where is the san louis logo on the back? More importantly if he says EB have told him its a Hybrid how could they of without a serial number which would of been on the oh yeah 6 bolt neck plate? Rip off merchant.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1257194' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:09 AM']This has been brought up elsewhere. He's got it up for £150 no reserve and said that the body's not musicman. I don't think he's being unfair really. :) He shouldn't have the title as it is, but anyone with any sense would read through the description anyway.[/quote]

That neck is nothing of the sort and he knows it, False description if he says he has spoken to EB about it.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257518' date='Jun 5 2011, 05:41 PM']Just had a look in his feedback to see if the transfer was in there, Its not and nor is the bass for when he bought it as he says which is odd as he has had that account since 2004! Must of been in his wifes name or something eh? No reply to my questions either yet.......[/quote]

seller kept in contact in spite of delays caused by Paypal. pleased Buyer: Member ID bigmart001 ( Feedback score of 7 ) 27-Jan-10 19:49
Musicman Stingray 4 Bass Guitar + Gig Bag (#280449423776) £360.00

I thought the same but if you look in all feedback its in there. I clicked on the seller and discovered he paid £360 for it.

"The neck appears to be kosher"
Ehum, don't think so...

Too bad for him he made the mistake of buying it in the first place. Best case scenario it's a relabelled OLP, but even then 150 is not exactly cheap is it?

[quote name='BB3000S' post='1257877' date='Jun 5 2011, 10:01 PM']"The neck appears to be kosher"
Ehum, don't think so...

Too bad for him he made the mistake of buying it in the first place. Best case scenario it's a relabelled OLP, but even then 150 is not exactly cheap is it?[/quote]

I think its one of these,
[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257419' date='Jun 5 2011, 04:02 PM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Stingray-Bass-Guitar-/120733458715?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item1c1c46611b"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Tanglewood-Stingray-...=item1c1c46611b[/url][/quote]
look at the pickup mounting screws and pole pieces, I have never seen any others like it. He has been had but does that meen its right to let someone else be even if he his listing it as a 'Hybrid'? Its not because its just a pre EB logo on a £100 bass, no more, no less. He has told me other people have told him the neck isnt kosher either yet thats how it reads to me still even after the slight addition of the word copy. (which ebay often pull anyway I have had it done to me for selling a Kay SG copy bass and again with the guitar version both at less than £50 each and an honest description).

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1257791' date='Jun 5 2011, 09:04 PM']seller kept in contact in spite of delays caused by Paypal. pleased Buyer: Member ID bigmart001 ( Feedback score of 7 ) 27-Jan-10 19:49
Musicman Stingray 4 Bass Guitar + Gig Bag (#280449423776) £360.00

I thought the same but if you look in all feedback its in there. I clicked on the seller and discovered he paid £360 for it.[/quote]

I seriously cant find that? I have even put the item number in and cant find it. He has 8 now too.

Edit - found it in feedback left section, Hmmm.....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1257898' date='Jun 5 2011, 11:27 PM']I think its one of these,

look at the pickup mounting screws and pole pieces, I have never seen any others like it. He has been had but does that meen its right to let someone else be even if he his listing it as a 'Hybrid'? Its not because its just a pre EB logo on a £100 bass, no more, no less. He has told me other people have told him the neck isnt kosher either yet thats how it reads to me still even after the slight addition of the word copy. (which ebay often pull anyway I have had it done to me for selling a Kay SG copy bass and again with the guitar version both at less than £50 each and an honest description).[/quote]
Nicely spotted, yes it has to be one of those.

I totally missed out on the pickup, trying to pitch a twinjazz loaded copy as a "good one" is well beyond the limit in my book. :)
Too bad he's been had originally, but he'd be better off advertising it as a relabelled Tanglewood - as it stands now it looks very dubious to me.

[quote name='Jean-Luc Pickguard' post='1257913' date='Jun 5 2011, 10:44 PM']Apart from the lie regarding the neck, the title is still unacceptable even with the word 'copy' thrown in. It is against ebays rules to use a brand name in the title to describe a product which is not made by that manufacturer. Thats why I never sell cheap Hoovers, Sellotape, Biros and Kleenex[/quote]

Ok kiddo, this seller happens to be a close friend and he ain't lyin' re the neck info. You want to talk about it, maybe come and see me.

Fyi he HAS contacted MusicMan and HAS been told by MusicMan - after sending detail photos - that the neck looks genuine (I thought there was a separate serial no on the neck to the one on the body but I could be wrong).

Bravado apart, it's clear he was ripped off on this bass and is being very honest rather than repeating the spiel he was given.

I have worked on this bass as far as cleaning out the control cavity and using switch cleaner on the pots goes, but since I know zero about MusicMan stuff I can't tell you any more than is in the listing. Whatever it may be it actually plays nicely and sounds pretty good.

But don't be so quick to call people liars online - he's a genuine guy who has bought unwisely (unkowingly) and is trying to be fair when re-selling by giving all the info he has at his disposal.

Btw if anyone knows the original seller of this bass I'd like a word with him.

ficelles

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' post='1259216' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:03 AM']Ok kiddo, this seller happens to be a close friend and he ain't lyin' re the neck info. You want to talk about it, maybe come and see me.

Fyi he HAS contacted MusicMan and HAS been told by MusicMan - after sending detail photos - that the neck looks genuine (I thought there was a separate serial no on the neck to the one on the body but I could be wrong).

Bravado apart, it's clear he was ripped off on this bass and is being very honest rather than repeating the spiel he was given.

I have worked on this bass as far as cleaning out the control cavity and using switch cleaner on the pots goes, but since I know zero about MusicMan stuff I can't tell you any more than is in the listing. Whatever it may be it actually plays nicely and sounds pretty good.

But don't be so quick to call people liars online - he's a genuine guy who has bought unwisely (unkowingly) and is trying to be fair when re-selling by giving all the info he has at his disposal.

ficelles[/quote]
OK Tough guy, if you want to know whether the neck is genuine, why not let the collected wisdom of basschat see the detailed photos that someone at musicman looked at and paste in the full text of the reply they sent? :)

Did the musicman representative actually use the word "kosher"?

What marks / text / numbers are on the back of the headstock?
Are there extra holes to indicate that the (probably not schaller BML type) tuners are not the original ones?
How does the truss rod adjust?
How many mounting holes are in the heel of the neck?

From the pics posted, the neck does not look right but the pics are not very good. Better pics may show it in a much better or much worse light. i.e. Either the neck is genuine and worth several hundred quid on its own (in which case I and a few others here will eat humble pie) or the "kosher" line is shown to be untrue.

Edited by Jean-Luc Pickguard

The neck is not even close if your mate wants to compare it with any version from 1982-2010 I have them all in my house. He has been had tough luck I feel bad for him yet we now know numerous people have told him about the neck but still it appears he and you feel It's real? Send pics to EBMM and get proper confirmation then. That listing needs updating properly or reporting to eBay :)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1259216' date='Jun 7 2011, 02:03 AM']Ok kiddo, this seller happens to be a close friend and he ain't lyin' re the neck info. You want to talk about it, maybe come and see me.

ficelles[/quote]
Please check with your friend if he'd let you upload the detailed neck pics here at BC.
I'm sure we are a fair few here, myself included, who would be interested in buying it if it is indeed genuine.

And please don't take offence on your own or your friends part, but the ebay text and pics don't succeed in bringing across the "kosher" aspect very well. Also, and no offence please, I find it surprising that EBMM would make a statement on a pre-EB instrument (they normally dont!).

Btw, here is THE resource on pre-EB and EBMM basses, well worth looking into for detailed info and pics: [url="http://www.musicmanbass.org/"]http://www.musicmanbass.org/[/url]
Sadly for your friend his bass doesn't compare to well there.

Edited by BB3000S