Why become a member? ×

NBD (now with a basic picture)

Musicman20

After my last Sterling 5 turned up in March, (which turned up with shipping damage and was incredibly heavy) another was placed on order.

Now, I did lose a bit on confidence in buying gear after the recent stint of bad luck. I was half tempted to give up and just get something cheaper.

Yesterday, the replacement turned up from the Bass Merchant. I was given full confidence this was MUCH better in terms of weight and obviously it had been checked over for any possible problems.

I also had a P bass delivered, because I was tempted to take a P bass instead.

Well, initially the P bass was in front. I played the P bass for a while and yep, it was another pretty damn nice P bass, although I must admit Im not really into black basses/guitars.

After a while, I started playing the Sterling. MUCH lighter, literally lighter than most Ray 4s Ive played. Great news. Great build, much higher quality paint than anything Fender do. Brand new bass, only finished a month or so back. I think its actually a 1 piece body, because normally I can spot a join on these finishes, (Tobacco Burst) but there is not one join line.

I still opted for the P.

After half an hour, the 5 string once again became comfortable. Then, I fiddled with my Streamliner, set the input gain properly, and turned the volume up a little. NOW we are talking, this is why I wanted another Musicman.

Very very 'Ray' esque tone, but on the smaller body than a Ray 5. The single coil at the bridge is wonderful for that burpy type Jazz tone, but you have the onboard EQ...so nudge the bass up, nudge the mids up, cut the highs, BOOM, perfect.

Back into classic bridge humbucker, sounds huge. Lots of clarity and warmth.

Ive no idea why people shy from the ceramic magnets. I know I used to, but to be honest these pickups are great. they are smidge more middy and aggressive than Ray alnico pups.

It looks like ill be sticking with the Sterling 5. Ive also learnt the retail prices have shot right up, so this was in fact quite a bargain. Its also quite a rare bass, which is nice!

Picture from the Bass Merchant (I havent had time to take one yet):

[attachment=82068:photo5hs.JPG]

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1256780' date='Jun 4 2011, 08:15 PM']Great news, EBMM gear and Genz gear does appear to work very well Gareth. I didn't know the retail prices had gone up either, List must be getting near 2 big ones now for fives then is it?[/quote]

Yep, RRP is over 2K for a Sterling/Stingray/Bongo 5 with multiple pups...only £75-100 or so less for a single H.

I think the UK stores prices are about £1750-£1800 for this model now. Thomann have one up here: [url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/music_man_sterling_5_hs_pbb.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/music_man_sterling_5_hs_pbb.htm[/url]

This one is Tobacco Burst/Black Plate/Rosewood - It looks classic, but it sounds monstrous!

Here is Ed F's review, same bass but mine is rosewood:

[url="http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0908newsletter.html"]http://www.bassemporium.com/newsletters/0908newsletter.html[/url]

Scroll down a little.

Mine has a much nicer grain than that as well. When EBMM/S&T/Bass Merchant said they would make sure its a very good example, they werent kidding.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='gafbass02' post='1256789' date='Jun 4 2011, 08:30 PM']That's great news after your recent luck![/quote]

I cant say anything too soon. Great bass, bad news for my 2nd RH750. The fan is making a weird noise, sounds like its vibrating something or catching something. Its going back on Monday. :)

That really is a cool looking bass! I haven't listened to the clips as I'm on the iPod but I will later or tomorrow. As for the prices well I'm glad I got in early too instead of waiting and getting a G&L instead to save a few quid! Looks like I owe EBS freak one as it was him who said I would only be happy with something by EBMM, he was right!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1256794' date='Jun 4 2011, 08:32 PM']I cant say anything too soon. Great bass, bad news for my 2nd RH750. The fan is making a weird noise, sounds like its vibrating something or catching something. Its going back on Monday. :)[/quote]

Serious! Jeez, I always had terrible luck but yours is something else!!

That is gorgeous - I'm really starting to GAS for one of these (or a Stingray 5) and it would have to be exactly that colour choice, and pickup config.

I think one of these could actually cure me of my long-clinged-to 35-inch 5 strings addiction...

There's just such a cool aesthetic about Stingrays and Sterlings with that contouring etc - and they always seem so nicely put together and finished.

[quote name='sime17' post='1262119' date='Jun 8 2011, 11:39 PM']That is gorgeous - I'm really starting to GAS for one of these (or a Stingray 5) and it would have to be exactly that colour choice, and pickup config.

I think one of these could actually cure me of my long-clinged-to 35-inch 5 strings addiction...

There's just such a cool aesthetic about Stingrays and Sterlings with that contouring etc - and they always seem so nicely put together and finished.[/quote]

This is definitely a lovely example of top quality craftsmanship...very well made and the paint job is superb.

The B is VERY tight and punchy, just how I wanted it.

Cheers!