Why become a member? ×

Planet Waves Dare Strap

geilerbass

I've been having back/left shoulder problems recently and my physio suggested that getting the [url="http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/2494-planet_waves_dare_strap"]Planet Waves Dare Strap[/url] might be a good idea.

Does anyone have any experience of this? Does it lighten the load on the left shoulder? Does it restrict or hinder playing in anyway? Any suggestions for alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...

hey dude

d'addario do a really comfy strap. It's got a system in it like those old school trainers where you could pump the tongue and get air in the shoe...essentially the same thing you pump a part of the strap and the wider shoulder section pumps up aswell...

not suer if they still make them but if you can get one they're awesome

• 10 months later...

I like it.

I've just traded up to a G&L Tribute L2000 with the heavy Swamp Ash body and I bought the Dare strap as I have neck and now shoulder problems, wait awhile you youngsters - it's coming your way.....easy to be smug with young joints and muscles!

I found the strap took a bit of setting up and it still doesn't quite sling the bass in the same place as a conventional one so a little accommodation is needed but it was comfortable and it works. I'm not sure it's cool looking but f**k 'em the audience ain't standing up for two hours bopping around with a plank of wood hanging round their necks.

[quote name='barrymk' post='406277' date='Feb 11 2009, 01:47 PM']I like it.

I've just traded up to a G&L Tribute L2000 with the heavy Swamp Ash body and I bought the Dare strap as I have neck and now shoulder problems, wait awhile you youngsters - it's coming your way.....easy to be smug with young joints and muscles!

I found the strap took a bit of setting up and it still doesn't quite sling the bass in the same place as a conventional one so a little accommodation is needed but it was comfortable and it works. I'm not sure it's cool looking but f**k 'em the audience ain't standing up for two hours bopping around with a plank of wood hanging round their necks.[/quote]

I too have just acquired a G&L Tribute with Swamp Ash body and yes, you're right, it's pretty hefty. I also considered the Dare strap, and somebody pointed out to me that if you wear it over a black shirt, bobody will be able to see it. Just a thought...

I've recently taken over treatment of a professional gu**arist (i know, what a sellout!), who's had years of chronic back pain. & i've put her into one of these straps, & she's managing much better with longer performances.

(the wife suggested i got one, but i'm not sure what she's referring too! ;) )

As Nietzsche once wrote;
"That which doesn't kill me makes me stronger"

Did he not also postulate;
"Weight=Tone"

I use a Comfort strapp for [i]most[/i] basses, but my two (weighty) Warwicks both have wide leather straps to eliminate slipping/diving.
I glued some Foam Rubber onto the underside of one - worked a treat. You do have to score it to ensure flexibility (without wrinkles!)

[quote name='solo4652' post='406636' date='Feb 11 2009, 05:02 PM']somebody pointed out to me that if you wear it over a black shirt, bobody will be able to see it. Just a thought...[/quote]

The perfect solution and I always wear black at gigs, somebody has to be in mourning for my lack of talent....

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='407469' date='Feb 12 2009, 11:56 AM']Did he not also postulate;
"Weight=Tone"[/quote]

Amen to that, the sustain alone and lack of dead spots from the G&L attests to this theory.

Edited by barrymk

I bought one of these.
I prefer the way it makes the bass hang.
IMO, it doesnt look stupid, it just looks a bit different.
If you're playing a bass so that you can play it, they generally look "jazz" anyway - i.e. if you have the bass round your knees you can only play with one LH finger and a pick:)
Adjustment is the same as anything - you need to spend a moment getting it right.
And - you can use it as a single strap if you like; its completely flexible (just leave it poppered up)
I just hope they start making one in neoprene; that would be perfect...
Thoroughly recommended; its much better for your posture (even if you dont have problems) and its only £15.