Why become a member? ×

Higgie's 'Pre-EB' two band circuit

The Bass Doc

Pete.................you're obsessed!

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing :)

So far this week I've GASSED for:

A pre-EB black black maple Ray
Wobatdudes WAL fretless
A 1965 Precision (again)
A streamline 5er (again) and,
A MarkBass LMIII

Fortunately I only gave in to the LMIII

Edited by martthebass

I see its sold, anyone here then? Its a fecking gorgeous bass but Im doubtful of the 76' bit I would need better pics of the bridge and its certainly not in the early further back position, I cant see the logo on the tuners, I would want the neck off for a possible date, A look at the pre amp to see if its at least an epoxy never mind original as many got blown up early on, Check of the fret wear and truss rod operation as there is some truth that very early ones often have buggered rods, Why are the strings not under the tree?, Is it B001444 making it a Sep 76' ish and possibly original bargain of the year or is it B004444 making it (from the register)"B004444..1977. Non-original Burgundy finish with Maple. Black pg. 3 bolt neck. Strings through body. "TM" on headstock logo."?

Like I said its still a nice bass and worth £1750 IMO but if its the latter then its not as big a bargain as I first thought.

[quote name='martthebass' post='1255716' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:20 PM']Pete.................you're obsessed!

Not that that is necessarily a bad thing :)

So far this week I've GASSED for:

A pre-EB black black maple Ray
Wobatdudes WAL fretless
A 1965 Precision (again)
A streamline 5er (again) and,
A MarkBass LMIII

Fortunately I only gave in to the LMIII[/quote]

Yep :) Im picking up a Genz Neox 1x12T in the morning its a 7+ hours round trip so Im just as daft about other gear as I am about Stingrays! You will break for a pre EB Ray soon mate you know it, Mine is fantastic it really is. If I didnt love mine so much trading it for what on paper looks a better deal would of been easy and done by now, I have turned down some very nice basses with a better possible future value on more than one occasion. For now it would have to be a matter of owning both for a while a shifting one on later even then its looking like it will take a very special bass to tempt me. I think there will be more Rays in the house in the next year or so though :lol:

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1255730' date='Jun 3 2011, 05:36 PM']Yep :) Im picking up a Genz Neox 1x12T in the morning its a 7+ hours round trip so Im just as daft about other gear as I am about Stingrays! You will break for a pre EB Ray soon mate you know it, Mine is fantastic it really is. If I didnt love mine so much trading it for what on paper looks a better deal would of been easy and done by now, I have turned down some very nice basses with a better possible future value on more than one occasion. For now it would have to be a matter of owning both for a while a shifting one on later even then its looking like it will take a very special bass to tempt me. I think there will be more Rays in the house in the next year or so though :)[/quote]

You could be right Pete, it's just:

1. Finding a good one
2. What to part with to buy one (I'm already one bass above my 3 bass limit)

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='1255948' date='Jun 3 2011, 09:09 PM']untested, unlike higgies design, but i quite fancied buying a OLP at one point so i could build bajamans musicman inspired preamp off freestompboxes. it looks good[/quote]

What I'm building is actually based off of that design, with some small changes, like upgraded parts. A good friend of mine does the PCB's for me, and I do the rest :)

A member of this forum already bought one of these off me to install into his OLP 5 string. He went away for a few weeks the day after he received his preamp so hasn't had a chance to fit it yet, but as you can see from Howard's review, they work great and sound "the biz" :)

I can also build these into Stompboxes if anyone would like it in pedal form, and not have to modify their bass!

Edited by Higgie

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='Higgie' post='1256436' date='Jun 4 2011, 01:21 PM']What I'm building is actually based off of that design, with some small changes, like upgraded parts. A good friend of mine does the PCB's for me, and I do the rest :)

A member of this forum already bought one of these off me to install into his OLP 5 string. He went away for a few weeks the day after he received his preamp so hasn't had a chance to fit it yet, but as you can see from Howard's review, they work great and sound "the biz" :)

I can also build these into Stompboxes if anyone would like it in pedal form, and not have to modify their bass![/quote]

Yes, that was me, I just fitted it into that OLP 5string and yes, thumbs up Higgie that's a cool pre-amp. Really happy because suddenly I can actually use that OLP. Was possible to stick it in without any other mods - not too much room in that cavity, but I fitted it all in. Great, many thanks!