Why become a member? ×

Hello from the West Mids

rolo79

Hey people,

I've been a long time lurker but have just signed up. Which is strange as I'm getting ready to hang my bass(es) up. I think I'm going to get a mandolin and just keep tipping about on my acoustic!

I've played bass for about 17/18 years now and all that time I've been in the same band. We had moderate success having toured across the UK, playing with a host of signed bands, receiving airplay across the country (and on some international indie stations) and releasing a couple of singles. Unfortunately things didn't work out for us with labels that were interested and that's that.

As a long time user of Rickenbacker forums I thought I'd pop up here - I wondered if I was alone in this thought: when your band ceases to exist (as a bassist) do you find yourself playing bass less and less?

ROlo

[quote name='rolo79' post='1250518' date='May 30 2011, 05:27 PM']Hey people,

I've been a long time lurker but have just signed up. Which is strange as I'm getting ready to hang my bass(es) up. I think I'm going to get a mandolin and just keep tipping about on my acoustic!

I've played bass for about 17/18 years now and all that time I've been in the same band. We had moderate success having toured across the UK, playing with a host of signed bands, receiving airplay across the country (and on some international indie stations) and releasing a couple of singles. Unfortunately things didn't work out for us with labels that were interested and that's that.

As a long time user of Rickenbacker forums I thought I'd pop up here - I wondered if I was alone in this thought: when your band ceases to exist (as a bassist) do you find yourself playing bass less and less?

ROlo[/quote]

Oh and - I thought I'd tell you about my gear.

Rickenbacker 3001
Rickenbacker 4003 (Montezuma)
Traynor YBA200
Traynor cab

Welcome Rolo!
I have to agree that if you're not in a band picking up a bass gets harder.
Personally I'd rather play music I thought was total pants (and have done!) than not be in a band at all.
Maybe I'm just a bass tart.
Anyway, welcome aboard.

Thanks guys!

I know what you mean Len. I've been offered gigs and tours abroad with bands but alas in my line of (real) work I can't take time off too easily. So I've had to turn down gigs like SXSW in Austin :) However, the truth is as I'd played in a band with a cousin and best friend since I was 13/14 it's hard playing with anyone else now. It's just not that same!

[quote name='BurritoBass' post='1250787' date='May 30 2011, 09:01 PM']Hey ROlo - small world, I took a break from bass to play things like mandolin & have also turned down SXSW due to the bands work commitments. I guess you have to roll with the punches. Welcome to the forum :)[/quote]

Maybe we're dopplegangers! But that said - my friends always joked bassists always look the same!

Very small world! :)

[quote name='arsenic' post='1256676' date='Jun 4 2011, 05:39 PM']Hello, and welcome to the forum............and the West Mids contingent continues to grow. :)[/quote]

Wolverhampton hey! Never gigged there. Been to plenty at the Civic - however, some of my fondest memories are from an industrial estate in Wolverhampton. We recorded there with Gavin Monaghan. Good times!

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='rolo79' post='1260447' date='Jun 7 2011, 10:45 PM']We recorded there with Gavin Monaghan. Good times![/quote]

And me! Recorded an album there in 2003, then another with Andy Taylor when he went off on his own. Welcome to BC!

ive recorded with gav too at magic garden... was when we had all the snow last winter, so spent most of the time under blankets in the control room trying to get the feeling back in my toes! Was good though, and enjoyed watching Gav fall asleep mid take and wake up shortly before the end lol....

where you from in west mids dude?

[quote name='rolo79' post='1250518' date='May 30 2011, 05:27 PM']As a long time user of Rickenbacker forums I thought I'd pop up here - I wondered if I was alone in this thought: when your band ceases to exist (as a bassist) do you find yourself playing bass less and less?[/quote]
Welcome rolo, gotta say thats about right after leaving my band in '94 i hardly played for 15 years. but last year got back with the band and im now playing catch up, all great fun. As for magic garden guys never recorded there, but did some at Mad Hatter and White Rabbit studios.