Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1965 All original

birdy

Reluctant sale really but I am just not using this and need some money for mundane things like cars and house repairs!

I bought it from V&R 12 months ago so am pretty sure of its provenance so read on....

It was previously owned by Jimmy Nail and appears in the film 'Still Crazy' which is quite cool.

Its a 65 in sunburst which is pretty worn in all the right places. Its 100% original apart from it 'may' have had a refret and theres an extra hole in the pickguard for some reason. The guys at V&R weren't sure if it had been refretted but they said it is likely that it has. The extra hole is relatively minor. I don't think the case is original but its from the same period. The only other thing is minor which is the string tree is missing from the headstock. Its got both ashtrays etc etc. The tone pot is a little noisy when turned but nothing too worry about.

Its got a very distinctive patch of wear above the bridge pick up which is how I am sure that it was in the film. Its a sort of worn away bit of wood where a thumb has been I think.

One other minor point is the serial number isn't an 'L' series one. The neck is dated Oct 65. Its a transition bass with the oval tuners and dots on the neck with no binding. The neck is really thin at the top, similar to a Geddy Lee jazz.

It sounds and plays really really good. Flanker and Funkmunky have played this and both really liked it.

I could have got one cheaper no doubt than if I had bought from somewhere other than V&R but I wanted to know it was the real deal and have some comeback. I have a certificate valuing it at £6500 for insurance purposes and stating its provenance and the fact it was in the film etc.

To cut a long story short I paid over £5500 for it and would expect to lose a little possibly but would be looking at offers around £5500 or it would be better to hang onto it as it will go up in value.

I could sell it back to V&R for around 5K and they would then sell on for £6K plus I imagine but would prefer to see if anyone on here wants it. Will upload some pics later.

I have played many many high end basses and this is really up there with all of them.

Heres a link to Jimmy Nail with it in the film to be going on with [url="http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800019391/photo/34305"]http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1800019391/photo/34305[/url]

[attachment=5737:DSC_01791.JPG]

[attachment=5736:DSC_01781.JPG]

Thanks

Steve

Edited by birdy

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='143094' date='Feb 19 2008, 02:49 PM']Wow!!!

£5k is a hell of a lot of money...

Even for a Bass :)[/quote]

Thank heavens its not a 1960 stackknob or we would be looking at £30k :-)

EDIT: in fact thank goodness its sunburst so its 'only' £5.5K - If it was a rarer colour we would be looking at even more!!!

Steve

Edited by birdy

Hi Steve, lovely bass. I remember being offerred one of these for £2,000 a few years ago. That's rapid appreciation! Good luck with the sale, I'll ask around and see if anyone I know's interested (god knows I am, but I'll struggle to get the money!)

Cheers, Lawrie

[quote name='David Nimrod' post='143107' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:22 PM']The bass isn't bad, but I [i][b]love[/b][/i] the sofa :)[/quote]

Not mine unfortunately :-) The pics I have shown are the pro ones from V&R this time last year.

I will do some more and post but I am sure anyone who wants this bass would come and view in person.

I don't really expect to sell it on this forum but you never know and its worth offering it here first as I am not in a mad rush to sell - its just something that I should move on and let someone else enjoy.

Steve

I've never had any real interest in 'beat up' old Jazz basses......but........I played this bass the other day and it is a real corker!

Playability and tone are amazing and I'd buy this bass in a hearbeat if I had the cash.Seriously good!

Edited by Flanker

[quote name='Sibob' post='143533' date='Feb 20 2008, 09:13 AM']I'd be interested to know how much you payed for her. I know V&R are known for hiking their prices a lot!!

They had a really nice sounding '72 Jazz for £2,800, no pickup covers.

Si[/quote]

I paid over £5500. Maybe I could get one off ebay for £4000?!? I wanted the assurance that it was all original and hadn't been put together as a parts bass or made somewhere in the far East etc.

If you check Gbase.com which is an American site you will see that the going rate there is about $10,000-11,000 for something similar and then you have to pay tax and shipping.

As a bass its probably worth £2000 in terms of it matches Sadowskys and other high end basses, the rest is nostalgia and investment.

One things for sure is that it will appreciate in value.

I would be interested in what anyone on here thinks its worth. I won't change my price as I could sell it back to V&R for close to £5000 tomorrow and they will then sell it on for £6000 and it will sell, may just take 6 months.

Thanks

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='143555' date='Feb 20 2008, 10:55 AM']I paid over £5500. Maybe I could get one off ebay for £4000?!? I wanted the assurance that it was all original and hadn't been put together as a parts bass or made somewhere in the far East etc.

If you check Gbase.com which is an American site you will see that the going rate there is about $10,000-11,000 for something similar and then you have to pay tax and shipping.

As a bass its probably worth £2000 in terms of it matches Sadowskys and other high end basses, the rest is nostalgia and investment.

One things for sure is that it will appreciate in value.

I would be interested in what anyone on here thinks its worth. I won't change my price as I could sell it back to V&R for close to £5000 tomorrow and they will then sell it on for £6000 and it will sell, may just take 6 months.

Thanks

Steve[/quote]

I think it's definitely worth the money you're asking, purely because you've given a number of solid reasons why it's worth that. First, you know definitely that you can get £5000 from V&R, and that that money is guaranteed, with no hassles at all. So why on Earth would you accept any less? Second, you've researched the US market, which is always less than the European market, and even there, the bass is hovering around £5000-£5500 with the retailers.

Steve, £5000 plus is a lot of money for a bass, but the fact is, 1965 Jazz basses in original condition are pulling a lot of money these days. That's just what the market is saying, and I see no reason why you should sell for any less than what it's worth.

Taken some more pics today. Without pick up covers or straplocks but rest assured they are all present and correct.

Its a camera phone but not too bad and I am no Lord Lichfield.

[attachment=5768:20022008243.jpg]
[attachment=5769:20022008245.jpg]
[attachment=5770:20022008247.jpg]
[attachment=5771:20022008250.jpg]

Hi Guys, not a single PM on this to date which I sort of expected due to its value but then again you never know.

I have to decide whether to reinsure this in a week or so so if it hasn't sold in the next week I will take it down to V&R and sell it through them so if you are remotely interested please get in touch as they will be selling for £6K + I think and it will sell for that whether after a week or a year.

Thanks

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='145569' date='Feb 23 2008, 01:07 PM']Hi Guys, not a single PM on this to date which I sort of expected due to its value but then again you never know.[/quote]

Fair enough... I'd really love it (it's gotta be one of the ultimate Jazzes...).

However, I can't imagine ever being rich enough to spend £5k on a bass!

Not with three kids, one job, two cars, two cats, a mortgage, etc. etc.

Good luck at V&R :)

This bass makes me want to cry, I absolutely love sunburst and tort vintage jazzes, it would only be better if it was an early 70s (just for asthetic reasons). The worst part is that I'm 27 now and in 15 years time when I have climbed the greasy poll sufficiently to afford it and buy one of these it'll cost me 3-4 times as much, buying it now would actually save me money in the future.

Alas I'm getting married in April 09 and I need to spend the cash on other things.

Good luck with the sale Steve, I'll have to go now, the tears are making my keys too wet to type...

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='149080' date='Feb 29 2008, 05:31 PM']This bass makes me want to cry, I absolutely love sunburst and tort vintage jazzes, it would only be better if it was an early 70s (just for asthetic reasons). The worst part is that I'm 27 now and in 15 years time when I have climbed the greasy poll sufficiently to afford it and buy one of these it'll cost me 3-4 times as much, buying it now would actually save me money in the future.

Alas I'm getting married in April 09 and I need to spend the cash on other things.

Good luck with the sale Steve, I'll have to go now, the tears are making my keys too wet to type...[/quote]
You look to have more than enough basses to keep you content, plus with a new wife you'll be up to your watery eyes in wall papering and drain cleaning and stoking the fire! with no time for playing.