Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz Bass 1965 All original

birdy

[quote name='Mr Cougar' post='149080' date='Feb 29 2008, 05:31 PM']This bass makes me want to cry, I absolutely love sunburst and tort vintage jazzes, it would only be better if it was an early 70s (just for asthetic reasons). The worst part is that I'm 27 now and in 15 years time when I have climbed the greasy poll sufficiently to afford it and buy one of these it'll cost me 3-4 times as much, buying it now would actually save me money in the future.

Alas I'm getting married in April 09 and I need to spend the cash on other things.

Good luck with the sale Steve, I'll have to go now, the tears are making my keys too wet to type...[/quote]

I am sure the marriage will ultimately give you more happiness :)

I like your logic of saving money in the future also. You are probably right but prices are so high now of vintage instruments who knows what will happen. I think its a safe long term bet to increase in value but in the short to medium who knows. Cracking bass either way and to someone who is loaded would be a good buy!

Steve

How's this one going? Have you gone back to V&R yet?

I think this is truly gorgeous and am also a massive fan of the vintage jazzes. Will definitely be looking to buy one when I have a bit more cash.

To be honest I would prefer it a bit more "vintage looking" not in a sacrilegious way but I like the character-building battle scars on vintage basses :)

BUMP

[quote name='Broken Hero' post='151570' date='Mar 5 2008, 10:25 AM']How's this one going? Have you gone back to V&R yet?

I think this is truly gorgeous and am also a massive fan of the vintage jazzes. Will definitely be looking to buy one when I have a bit more cash.

To be honest I would prefer it a bit more "vintage looking" not in a sacrilegious way but I like the character-building battle scars on vintage basses :)

BUMP[/quote]

Hi There,

It was going back to V&R this weekend but family commitments mean it will be the following weekend which ties in nicely with when the insurance runs out.

The photos do not do it justice, it has plenty of scars. I am sort of tempted to hold onto it for the next 20 years but could do with the money really.

Steve

[quote name='birdy' post='151615' date='Mar 5 2008, 11:47 AM']Hi There,

It was going back to V&R this weekend but family commitments mean it will be the following weekend which ties in nicely with when the insurance runs out.

The photos do not do it justice, it has plenty of scars. I am sort of tempted to hold onto it for the next 20 years but could do with the money really.

Steve[/quote]

It seems like a beautiful bass. In my opinion, it's a good time to sell as I think you'll get top dollar (or pound or Euro) for it at the moment, and I can only wish you the best of luck with it. I think that the price will stabilise somewhat over the next few years, as it has been going bonkers for a while... so the investment might not bring the massive gains we've seen over the past few years (I regularly got offerred 65 basses at a shade over £2k 5 years ago).

76 jazz basses for £1700, whatever next? Especially when you can still pick up a 76 or later Precision for about £500. For investment, I'd put some cash into Precision basses.

But then again, my gas might be cut off next week, so investments will have to wait!

[quote name='Jebo1' post='151637' date='Mar 5 2008, 12:20 PM']It seems like a beautiful bass. In my opinion, it's a good time to sell as I think you'll get top dollar (or pound or Euro) for it at the moment, and I can only wish you the best of luck with it. I think that the price will stabilise somewhat over the next few years, as it has been going bonkers for a while... so the investment might not bring the massive gains we've seen over the past few years (I regularly got offerred 65 basses at a shade over £2k 5 years ago).

76 jazz basses for £1700, whatever next? Especially when you can still pick up a 76 or later Precision for about £500. For investment, I'd put some cash into Precision basses.

But then again, my gas might be cut off next week, so investments will have to wait![/quote]

I think that prices have pretty much doubled over the last 3-4 years. I bought a 75 jazz for £1000 and sold it for the same 3 years ago whereas now it would have pulled close to £2000 (4 bolt neck etc).

I guess that Precisions are 'better value' as there were more of them made and hence not as rare?

I think you are right that things will stabilise now and the doubling of prices in a few years is unlikely but I also think that they will keep in line with inflation or better but like anything you never can tell!!

Steve