Why become a member? ×

***SOLD*** Sei Original 5-string headless ***SOLD***

lowregisterhead

For sale is my Sei Original 5-string headless. I'm reliably informed it was made in 1995 for a fellow Basschatter. Serial no. 038, shown in the pic of the bridge. Good condition for its age, with the odd very small dent and ding here and there, but nothing serious, as you can see from the photos.

A beautiful example of Martin Petersen's artistry, originally a fretless, but fretted by Martin himself just before I bought it about a year ago, hence no visible fret wear. Light, compact body with great balance, total weight a whisker over 8lbs (about 3.7kg). Can use either double ball ends or standard strings, two sets of locking screws included. Scale length is 34", string spacing at the bridge is a very comfy 19mm.

Great tonal variety from an 18v 3-band active eq, plus a 5-position pickup coil selector, everything from single coil jazz tones to a full-blooded Stingray-type sound.

Fitted flightcase (quite compact, due to the size of the bass) plus a Ritter heavy duty gig bag (for a guitar, but it fits comfortably) and 4 new sets of 45-126 double ball end strings thrown in.

Video uploaded on YouTube of me noodling aimlessly, but at least you can hear what it sounds like! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAhqQQHVrTE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAhqQQHVrTE[/url]

FINAL PRICE DROP £1150 (was £1250) (was £1350) no trades please.

Edited by lowregisterhead

I think this is the bass I sold the Sei Melt s/cut to buy before finding out someone had beaten me to it; it was fretless when I played it and was the best fretless I've ever played by a mile. I'm a bit staggered that it's been fretted!!!! Did you ask Martin to do it or had he already done it? I'd thought that when it eventually turned up again (fretless) I'd try and nab it.

If I had the money I'd buy it and have it defretted again! Sadly it's bad timing as a house buy is taking all my funds....

Edited by 4000

Oh I wish! The worst possible timing.

I wonder if it has a twin; the fretless I tried was for sale as such in the Gallery. It seems unlikely that the owner would have had it fretted whilst it was on sale and it went about a week after I played it. This does sound great though, I checked out the clip. Nice!

[quote name='4000' post='1243656' date='May 24 2011, 11:12 PM']Oh I wish! The worst possible timing.

I wonder if it has a twin; the fretless I tried was for sale as such in the Gallery. It seems unlikely that the owner would have had it fretted whilst it was on sale and it went about a week after I played it. This does sound great though, I checked out the clip. Nice![/quote]

No, I'm pretty sure it's the same bass - the previous owner (a French guy, IIRC) had it up in The Gallery while it was on eBay, which is where I bought it. It was fretted by that time, but the guy hadn't had the side dot markers moved for some reason. Having been a fretless, they were right on the fret positions, not in between, which did my head in completely, so I had Martin move them!

If you liked it that much, you really shouldn't let it get away again - make me an offer... I might say yes! :)

Edited by lowregisterhead

This gets curioser. A little while after the fretless had (apparently) gone I also played an indentical fretted 5 where the dots were still in the fretless position. Obviously that's your bass, prior to the dots being moved. I'd assumed they were different (but almost identical) basses; I now seem to recall Alex saying something about the fretless having a twin. I guess it could be that inbetween the "first one" going and the "second one" appearing Martin fretted it. or maybe if there are twins both were sold within a short period of each other.

Sadly I really don't have the funds at the moment. We're in Moving Costs Hell.

Edited by 4000

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' post='1244599' date='May 25 2011, 06:46 PM']Oh my goodness!!! I think that is my very first Sei Bass!!!! It was obviously fretless when I had it made for me back on 1995!!

It's a great sounding instrument!!![/quote]

Can I arrange a reunion between you and your old bass?? :) I bet it cost a lot more when it was new....

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='1245912' date='May 26 2011, 05:14 PM']I know they will... but at the moment there's interest, but a dearth of cash, I fear... time is running out...[/quote]

YouTube passing 100 views celebration bump... :)