Why become a member? ×

stringing up help please!

JJ Bass

Hi,

Just a quick one...

Quite often when I re-string (or boil up my old strings) the E sounds 'dead' like its a few years old, the rest sound crisp and as they should - any ideas? I've tried the height of the string either end of the bass, but this one has me baffled!

The bass is a Hohner B pro with the Steinburger bum on it.

It doesn't do this every time, and as I hate the sound of old strings I wondering what to do....

'ELP!

Cheers

J

[quote name='Machines' post='1239977' date='May 22 2011, 08:39 AM']I've had odd things happen with strings when the ball end was at a dodgy angle (compared to other strings), might be worth loosening it and giving it a slight turn.[/quote]
+1 on this. With two of my Basses, I have to have the hole in the ball-end lying from side-to-side for it to make 'contact' with the bridge. If one of the holes is pointing upwards or even at a slight angle, that string sounds dead. It took me a while to figure it out as well. :)

Just a thought along this thread. Does it make any difference to string tone/sound when you can fix the ball end of the string directly in the bridge or through the anchor point on the back of the bass for those bass's that have that option?

[quote name='bass24' post='1240091' date='May 22 2011, 10:21 AM']Just a thought along this thread. Does it make any difference to string tone/sound when you can fix the ball end of the string directly in the bridge or through the anchor point on the back of the bass for those bass's that have that option?[/quote]
Not on the Wilkinson Bridge I've fitted to my Precision Lyte, but apparently some different types get a bit more sustain when strung through the anchor points. (More string contact, perhaps?)

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1240118' date='May 22 2011, 10:55 AM']Not on the Wilkinson Bridge I've fitted to my Precision Lyte, but apparently some different types get a bit more sustain when strung through the anchor points. (More string contact, perhaps?)[/quote]

Thanks. The Peavey Grind I have has strings fitted through the anchor points at the moment which is how I got it. I'll be replacing the strings shortly. This bass has the mono rail bridge(s).

Thanks for all the help here.

I'll try turning the string into a better position.

The bass has the Steinberger bit with the tuning bottom pegs and the drop D device on it.

The E sits fairly well on the nut, I recently replaced the original nut as the E was worn and making it sit too low

I use incredibly light strings as the tension on this bass is slightly odd, I usually used to use 30-90, but now using 25-85 so I do get a nice bright sound as I'm a bit of slap player :) So when the sound isn't as it should be it's very obvious....

any more ides??

Which model is it? If it has the Steinberger system, then there is no nut on these, there's a zero fret. Look at the wrap on the E string, on many strings the wrap actually sits on the zero fret, One side of the wrap is often higher on one side of the string and fairly normal on the other, especially on the E. Try to get the more normal side sitting on the zero fret.

What brand of string are you using? They are very light so the neck profile will be almost back-bowing if you haven't compensated by adjusting the truss rod and the strings will choke out as a result.

[quote name='silddx' post='1240717' date='May 22 2011, 07:44 PM']Which model is it? If it has the Steinberger system, then there is no nut on these, there's a zero fret. Look at the wrap on the E string, on many strings the wrap actually sits on the zero fret, One side of the wrap is often higher on one side of the string and fairly normal on the other, especially on the E. Try to get the more normal side sitting on the zero fret.

What brand of string are you using? They are very light so the neck profile will be almost back-bowing if you haven't compensated by adjusting the truss rod and the strings will choke out as a result.[/quote]

Hi,

I use any brand of string I have laying around, I have been using warwick yellow's as they do the 25-85 I use on this bass. There isn't a zero fret on the neck. I think the Steinberger system is the same they used on the 'The Jack', but don't quote me, it has the tuning pegs and the drop D device.

The only thing that confuses me is that it doesn't do it everytime! Abeit with new or re-freshed strings! Theres no point in a dead sounding E when I'm doing my Mark King thing :))

The neck is adjusted about right, theres a dead spot, but I don't think I'll cure that with my thin strings...

Any more ideas

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZRSST4-H0"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxZRSST4-H0[/url]

It's that bass, but not sure if you can see it properly - but you can hear the E sounds right on this!

It's the break angle on the string, between nut and tuning post.

The better the break angle the better the clearance from the first couple of frets, this is usually a cause of buzzing strings when played open.

More likly so since you haventhe drop D thing, as the post is usually taller than normal tuning posts, which means you need to make sure you have enough wrappings around the post.

[quote name='BigAlonBass' post='1239995' date='May 22 2011, 09:10 AM']+1 on this. With two of my Basses, I have to have the hole in the ball-end lying from side-to-side for it to make 'contact' with the bridge. If one of the holes is pointing upwards or even at a slight angle, that string sounds dead. It took me a while to figure it out as well. :)[/quote]

I had trouble with low B on my Overwater sounding slightly flat compared to others. Changed to Elixir strings with the B a taperwound.
Problem solved but this might have been a possible explanation.
Will need to keep a mental note of that.

Dave

[quote name='Prime_BASS' post='1241059' date='May 23 2011, 12:37 AM']It's the break angle on the string, between nut and tuning post.

The better the break angle the better the clearance from the first couple of frets, this is usually a cause of buzzing strings when played open.

More likly so since you haventhe drop D thing, as the post is usually taller than normal tuning posts, which means you need to make sure you have enough wrappings around the post.[/quote]

Hi,

I tried an old string I had of Doug Wimbish's I had (bought an ex bass of his) and that string worked ok? Yet the string is ancient! Think its a Trace Elliot string???? May sound odd, but when I've tried the full length Warwick strings I've been using the E sounded as dead as a dodo! Trim it down and sometimes it's ok... Baffling one! I can only liken the sound to putting a sh*te covered rusty string on even when its brand new or 're-freshed'!!

I'm trying different heights on the tuning post etc... Nothing is ever simple! Wish I still had my Status, never had that problem with that!!!

[quote name='jonannlou' post='1242671' date='May 24 2011, 10:05 AM']see photo's - any ideas ??![/quote]
Ahh, I thought you meant a headless one.

The nut looks ok to me, as does the nut. Pickup height seems ok too. Duff set of strings springs to mind.

[quote name='silddx' post='1242810' date='May 24 2011, 12:21 PM']Ahh, I thought you meant a headless one.

The nut looks ok to me, as does the nut. Pickup height seems ok too. Duff set of strings springs to mind.[/quote]

I wish it was that simple! It's done it on a few strings! And the tension can be odd as I use 25-85 which give the feel of 30-90... Never known a bass like this one, when I used the 25-85's on my Status S1 or Schecter you could barely feel the tension, cracking bass for the money though.

Generally, thicker string are more prone to going dead. Variety of reasons and some alluded to here but no easy way around it.
I've only had one set of DR's not clean up on me and they weren't great out of the packet anyway so time to bin them for my purposes.

Clean meths may help as the gunk that comes out of the winds has to be deposited somewhere and if the meths is old..it may will degrade as well.

I give strings a clean over 24hrs and use a clean container as well.
Overall DR's clean up the best, IME... as they don't have silk/cotton winds to fray and clog up the cleaning solution..I never try and submerge that part anyway...

But if and E-string doesn't come up clean... then you have to decide how useable it is...

You then have 2 choices..cheap but new strings more often..or buy seperates..at least that might save a few pennies on a new set..??

[quote name='JTUK' post='1242889' date='May 24 2011, 01:05 PM']Generally, thicker string are more prone to going dead. Variety of reasons and some alluded to here but no easy way around it.
I've only had one set of DR's not clean up on me and they weren't great out of the packet anyway so time to bin them for my purposes.

Clean meths may help as the gunk that comes out of the winds has to be deposited somewhere and if the meths is old..it may will degrade as well.

I give strings a clean over 24hrs and use a clean container as well.
Overall DR's clean up the best, IME... as they don't have silk/cotton winds to fray and clog up the cleaning solution..I never try and submerge that part anyway...

But if and E-string doesn't come up clean... then you have to decide how useable it is...

You then have 2 choices..cheap but new strings more often..or buy seperates..at least that might save a few pennies on a new set..??[/quote]

Sometimes its done it with new strings....! I usually use something like fairy or 'flash' with water and boil for about 10 minutes, then again in just hot water to get all the deturgents off. Or hopefully I'll put a new set on.

I didn't get on with the DR's I tried, felt very rough compared to even the Olympia strings I get (for free!)

As my strings are so thin they generally clean up and sound fresh on any other bass, its only the E, and possibly the D, but I've compensated for that by using a 35 which feels like a 45/50 - bloody odd thing!

Don't really want to sell it as I don't think I'll get anything in the same price range that will play or sound as good as finances are nill!

ok...

My basses don't have any flat spots and I can get harmonics all over the place so I know it isn't going to be the bass.

I use DR as their QC is decent... but I did post a few months back that I thought there was a deteriation in strings and maybe the metal they now used...they, being various makers, not only DR.

Consider that they may be a few large winding shops that do everyones sets and re-badge them..??? so all sorts of variables are now in the frame.

If you like your current strings, you could try and source a new E to make the cleaned strings go further or you could try Meths.. it has been my fave method for 20 years. I've never boiled them.