Why become a member? ×

hand pain & numbness

Wylie

Since I have begun practicing songs in F and Bb I have noticed some tingling in my left hand that turns to numbness (not total numbness) soon after. When this occurs, I stop. I also have been playing some scales and chords at the 12th fret and beyond, and occasionally had a stabbing pain in my left hand, at the thumb; so I stopped playing again; trouble is, I'm not getting much practicing done! I've rested my hands for three days, as I don't want this to get worse.

I read some of the suggestions on BC elsewhere on this topic, but since I don't seem to be holding the bass the wrong way (4-string jazz) and I'm not gripping it like a baseball bat, I can't figure it out. Any advice? Thanks.

This might seem silly, but giving all your muscles a nice stretch, and massasing them gently, before and after playing can really work wonders. And don't forget those tedious warm ups/downs! :)

Hope that helps you man! I had to do all that for a while when I started exploring different approaches to playing, but nowadays it's less of a necessity :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1239764' date='May 21 2011, 05:30 PM']This might seem silly, but giving all your muscles a nice stretch, and massasing them gently, before and after playing can really work wonders. And don't forget those tedious warm ups/downs! :)

Hope that helps you man! I had to do all that for a while when I started exploring different approaches to playing, but nowadays it's less of a necessity :)[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate it, CM.

Sorry to thread hi-jack... On a similar note I've had a stiffness start over recent months in my right hand. When I don't use the hand for prolonged periods it stiffens up and the little finger and Ring finger almost lock, so bending them causes them to almost click in and out of joint. This lasts about 10 minutes while I fight through the pain and then it loosens up.

This occurs almost every morning (as the hand isn't moved during my sleep), but also at times I've noticed it such as when in the cinema after not moving and watching a film for 2 hours, and last week I stood at a gig with my hands in pockets for about an hour and it started then as well. It's only ever the right hand, and only ever those 2 fingers.

Once the hand loosens up it's fine, as such it's not interfered with my playing, but it is concerning...

Anyone experienced anything similar?

Been playing for nearly 40 years with possibly incorrect technique.

Over the last 5 years experienced no pain but occasional numbness in assorted fingers. Went to the Doc last year, sent me for some tests. Diagnosed with moderate Carpal Tunnel syndrome in RH and mild in LH (they hook you up to an electric shock machine and it measures the time the shock takes to make the muscle move) Outcome are some rigid splints to wear in bed (!) and softer ones when driving.
As I don't drive much anyway not a chore.

Equally my symptoms are the same as some for a lack of Vit B12 and iodine ( I'm a Veggie) so I'm going to start taking some supplements and see if they go away!

[quote name='4 candles' post='1239803' date='May 21 2011, 11:25 PM']look at chrimuzz avatar for incentive on improving "left hand technique"[/quote]

[quote name='4 candles' post='1239804' date='May 21 2011, 11:26 PM']or "right hand technique"[/quote]

[quote name='tedgilley' post='1239831' date='May 21 2011, 11:53 PM']Will do. I'm sure the numbness would disappear ...[/quote]
..but surely it would be a boon :)

I'll get me coat

[quote name='chrismuzz' post='1240785' date='May 22 2011, 03:46 PM']if my avatar keeps derailing topics like this I might have to change it :) behave![/quote]

My hand just generally feels better now. A miracle!