Why become a member? ×

Advice please!

Kaiu

Hi Guys!

I apologise if this has been covered before but I can't make my mind up!

The other night I saw Jetblack playing in Camden and the bassist had an Aerodyne Jazz played through an SVT. Sounded amazing!
I've heard the Aerodyne before and I love the tone.

Now I have a standard american 2008 Fender Jazz and I was wondering whether to sell up and buy an Aerodyne?

OR have the Jazz modified and put some Pbass pickups in it? I've heard of people doing the latter, particularly before the aerodyne came out, but I don't really know the pro's/cons of it.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

Ed

Edited by Kaiu

[quote name='Machines' post='1237912' date='May 20 2011, 11:00 AM']I wouldn't mutilate your Jazz by having it rerouted - it won't make it more valuable. I think you'd be better of selling it and getting the Aerodyne you really want.[/quote]

Does the 2008 model require rerouting, or is it one where there's a large route anyway?

However, I do agree that modding probably isn't the answer. I recently got hold of an aerodyne and can't stop raving about it! It's not just the fact that it's PJ, it's also the most acoustically resonant bass I've ever owned, and the ceramic pickups are really fat sounding. It has the best solo bridge sound I've ever had, taking the P out of the equation completely.

Thanks! I've compared some prices and it might be a better decision to sell the Jazz and buy the Aerodyne from a financial perspective as well. The Jazz is in very good condition and has only been used for recording.

Ed

Edited by Kaiu

Don't worry, mine has so far sounded great through a Markbass F1, crappy Laney rehearsal amp, mediocre Trace boxer, and even passable through a Peavey at a gig where everyone else running through that amp sounded even worse (next to nothing above about 300Hz I think!). I'm sure an SVT wouldn't hurt though...

I do actually. I have an SVT 2 Pro and 810, but I'm not always able to carry them around, so I should probably head to a shop and see what it sounds like through other amps.
Plus for smaller gigs I usually just bring a DI.

Thanks for the advice so far! Didn't Duff McKagan use a modified Jazz?

Ed

If you really want the Aerodyne sound - as in combination of P & J pickups - got to be best to actually go for the Aerodyne itself, rather than re-route the Jazz, as though some may like it, many also may not, so it would severely affect your possible re-sell value.

Definately worth taking a look at Ishibashi - though you`d pay import duty, you may still end up with a cheaper Aerodyne from there, as oppose to here - unless you get a 2nd hand one here that is.

This one looks rather good:

[url="http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/"]http://www.ishibashi.co.jp/u_box/e/[/url]

At present, 50,000 Japanese Yen is approx £400, as a guide.

Thanks! I think you're definitely right. I could potentially end up with a little bit of extra cash, or at least break even if I sell the Jazz (v good condition American 2008) and buy (second hand) or import the Aerodyne. As opposed to spending money re routing the Jazz and devaluing it at the same time.