Why become a member? ×

Wizard or Seymour Duncan

badboy1984

[quote name='badboy1984' post='1234543' date='May 17 2011, 04:44 PM']Was looking for a precision pickup to replace my stock fender one.

Was looking into Seymour duncan and wizard pickups.

Was wondering which one is good?

Seymour Duncan SPB3, Wizard Trad or Wizard Thumper?

I play classic rock, indie stuff and gospel.[/quote]

Hi BB'84

The S.D. SPB3 sounds more like the Wizard Area 51 Stealth than the other Wizard's you list. I've had both the A51 & SPB3 in the same bass so can speak from experience. Andy from Wizard's desciption is bang on for his Area 51 - [quote]A new type of P Bass pickup for players who want a little extra presence but who want to keep it simple.

We've taken a conventional pickup and transformed it into a whole new beast, with the same size and format it will retro-fit into 99% of instruments.

Using our principle of keeping it simple, The Stealth is a passive pickup that verges on giving the same volume as an active. We use radical, slightly oversize, new black magnets, special windings and our own bobbins and aged covers to produce a stunningly special pickup.

The Stealth has a full range of tones, bassy and deep right through to crisp and bright, this makes them suitable for most styles of music, all provided with a little more, imagine a standard pickup on steroids!!

So no batteries, more power and easy installation.[/quote]

If you want the traditional P sound then go for the Wizard Trad...

Cheers,
Jon

I've had both the SPB-3 Quarter Pounder and Wizard Trad in the same bass. I started out with the Quarter Pounder in a P-bass I put together and after four years, I decided I wanted a more traditional P-bass sound and swapped it for the Wizard.

If you're after higher output and a more modern take on the P-bass sound, the Quarter Pounder's the way to go. Otherwise, the Trad's a great pickup. I haven't tried any of Wizard's high output pups yet. My current 'P' is a cheap Vintage V4 (had to sell my Fender 50s Classic Series last year), and after rewiring/replacing pots etc., I went with the Seymour Duncan SPB-1 which is very reminiscent of the Trad.

Waffling aside, I've always been more than impressed with Wizard pickups (I had their 'Sixty Fours' in a Jazz build) and their service is excellent (not to mention their prices!) and thus wouldn't hesitate to recommend them.

Another big vote for Wizards.

Ive got a set of custom 74's in my CV Jazz, and i have a Thumper thats not currently in use at the moment but im thinking of putting it back in my P (long story, some will know why).

At the moment i have a Fender 62RI in my P and it sounds more P than the Thumper, but i think the Thumper has a bit more kick to it and it definitely has more character, just not in the old school way.

Ive never liked SDQP's, i find them too toppy and aggressive but i know a lot of rock players like that.

Haven't used the SD to compare, but I'll always throw in a good word for Wizard. Have a Thumper and an 84 in a Squier PJ and they transformed the bass from an old beater that was kept for sentimental reasons, to a bass that I'm happy to use on stage alongside my 'proper' ones.

The quality of the service from Andy swings it for me - you can't ring up Seymour and tell him just how you'd like your bass to sound, and get a pick-up hand wound from him that does it for you!